Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Interview Questions and Advice 2014

Default Re: Congratulations, interview recipients!

I hope they send out the interview times and dates tomorrow. I want to buy my plane tickets early.

I happened to pass by my interview location today on the way home from work, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    Budgets have been cut at boes, not increased. Nothing has been finalized.

That, coupled with the accelerating contraction of the student population, would indicate the 10000 JET plan is smoke and mirrors for a good show.
    In Yamaguchi-ken , some Jets have schools with classes that have as few as two students. It's crazy. Given the small number of students at many schools, I don't see how this prefecture can increase the number of ALT's without fundamentally changing the English curriculum to include more English classes and more conversation based learning.

That being said, my average class has 33 students, and that might increase next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Default Congratulations, interview recipients!

Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    In Yamaguchi-ken , some Jets have schools with classes that have as few as two students. It's crazy. Given the small number of students at many schools, I don't see how this prefecture can increase the number of ALT's without fundamentally changing the English curriculum to include more English classes and more conversation based learning.

That being said, my average class has 33 students, and that might increase next year.

The inaka is downright riddled with school husks. Loads of empty houses. The whole thing's a bit spooky, really.
    Last edited by uthinkimlost?; January 27th, 2014 at 16:05.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyPakku View Post
    I can confirm that this year, 1772 applicants were accepted for an interview in the US. You can get this number by counting the number of applicants on this list on the US homepage.
    I'm not sure where 'par92186' is getting his 50/50 figure from, but I think you can extrapolate it from the fact that JET US typically send 700-900 applicants to Japan every year.
    That's exactly where I got my numbers and estimations from. Thanks for clarifying paddy.

Quote Originally Posted by BeckyJones
    you will soon learn... Imagine the worst people you knew in college. Now imagine them trying to continue their college life in another country, constantly talking shit about each other and their foreign country like it is shit... only to be the shittiest of the bunch.

now imagine the people who don't fit into that, and are actually shittier.... that is ITIL.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    The inaka is downright riddled with school husks. Loads of empty houses. The whole things a bit spooky, really.
    I've seen movies of people who have broken into closed-down schools, and it was crazy. It really seemed like a Hollywood style abandoned haunted school.

Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

A school closed just before I arrived in my town and another closed while I was working there.
    In my three years my town went from three little wee grocery stores to just one.

Not surprising, Japan's population is forecast to decrease from 128m to 82m by 2060!

Quote Originally Posted by Oli0 View Post
    Not surprising, Japan's population is forecast to decrease from 128m to 82m by 2060!
    What is surprising is to actually watch it happen. It actually occurs fast enough to see it, as AVNicholls suggested.

I can't even begin to fathom how things are going to shake out over the next 10-20 years. I'm actually pretty worried about my students' futures.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Assuming that Japan keeps up its exports, I guess there will be jobs for a lot of these kids.

Also, if they want the Japanese people to have more kids, try encouraging them to work less than 14 hours a day. Maybe they'll have time to pop out a few more kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Oli0 View Post
    Isn't that the thing with advanced societies? Kids are looked at as economic burdens rather than assets, because they aren't going to be free field hands or assistants at work.

Just received the interview email and just scheduled for Feb. 22! Unfortunately, that's the same time as my birthday. I hope God will take mercy on me for sacrificing it for the JET interview... lol.

Quote Originally Posted by kbui View Post
    Just received the interview email and just scheduled for Feb. 22! Unfortunately, that's the same time as my birthday. I hope God will take mercy on me for sacrificing it for the JET interview... lol.
    Where are you interviewing out of?

Quote Originally Posted by LaVie View Post
    Where are you interviewing out of?
    Chicago. You?

DC, but I haven't heard anything yet. Im sort of worried that we were supposed to pick the consulate that served our state; I'm originally from so that would be Atlanta, but I go to school in (served by ). It wasn't feasible for me to get to either of those consulates, so I picked DC, where I have friends who could give me a place to stay...
    Last edited by LaVie; February 27th, 2014 at 00:29.

It doesn't matter where you interview at, as long as you can get there.

The sign up is live; I just signed up for my time slot.

Anyone else interviewing at the Miami consulate? I haven't heard anything from them and I tend to get antsy about things like this. I just wish I knew when the damn thing was going to take place.

Quote Originally Posted by LaVie View Post
    DC, but I haven't heard anything yet. Im sort of worried that we were supposed to pick the consulate that served our state; I'm originally from SC so that would be Atlanta, but I go to school in Pennsylvania (served by New York). It wasn't feasible for me to get to either of those consulates, so I picked DC, where I have friends who could give me a place to stay...
    I don't think which consulate matters. But some consulates have less/more applicants in their pool, so as long as you're on that interview list you are golden. Though I would also check the spam folder in your email.

Quote Originally Posted by kbui View Post
    I don't think which consulate matters. But some consulates have less/more applicants in their pool, so as long as you're on that interview list you are golden. Though I would also check the spam folder in your email.
    This is a really good call. I've followed this advice and it's saved my bacon. I guarantee you they consulate won't care if you use the excuse "the email went into my spam folder". Procedure is super strict until you're short listed and even after that it's still very strict.

Quote Originally Posted by PoorYorick View Post
    Isn't that the thing with advanced societies? Kids are looked at as economic burdens rather than assets, because they aren't going to be free field hands or assistants at work.
    Yep, it is happening in many developed countries, but at an incredibly fast rate in Japan.