Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Word's Formerly Secret Interview Advice

Default Re: Word's Formerly Secret Interview Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Really... if I were interviewing I would absolutely have them keeping tabs on the people and watching what they do. Hell, I used to do that when I was hiring at head office. Mind you Tory was just a snoopy person in general, but she was very good at telling me what people said when they left and came in which I wasn't aware of in the hiring room.
    The ex-JET might not be reporting to them, but you can bet the Japanese receptionist is.

Quote Originally Posted by coop52 View Post
    The ex-JET might not be reporting to them, but you can bet the Japanese receptionist is.
    Noooooope. I don't know what you guys think they would be reporting, anyway.

"Applicant one entered room and said a greeting to all currently occupying the room. Applicant one sat in a chair. Applicant one asked JETA volunteer where they were placed. Applicant one smiled. Applicant one was called for interview, left room."

Like I said, if someone is being really weird or jerky they'll pass it along, but they really don't care otherwise.

Thanks a ton for posting that.

Smile smile smile! I can easily work myself up to having a chipper personality. Just give me a techno playlist. XD

Word, superb advice as always

I think this should make the interview process a little less nerve wracking than it already is. I've got this scenario in my head that I'll probably embarrass myself the minute I enter the consulate doors

Excellent advice, word! I just want to add one thing that helped me - I had a friend try asking me a few mock interview questions a couple days before. She pointed out that I had a tendency to ramble and go off-topic when answering questions. Like word said, it's better to take a moment to think about your answer so that you can phrase it clearly and concisely. If you have a friend who's willing, have them try asking you a few generic questions and tell you the impression they get from your responses.

Quote Originally Posted by therealwindycity View Post
    Excellent advice, word! I just want to add one thing that helped me - I had a friend try asking me a few mock interview questions a couple days before. She pointed out that I had a tendency to ramble and go off-topic when answering questions. Like word said, it's better to take a moment to think about your answer so that you can phrase it clearly and concisely. If you have a friend who's willing, have them try asking you a few generic questions and tell you the impression they get from your responses.
    And if you're still in college, you can always check to see if your university has a mock interview service. I for one plan on utilizing the one my school offers if I get notified for an interview!

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Good lord, I would never use an interview service at school. They are usually staffed by students, who have a wealth of experience in successful interviews and techniques who can give you accurate and insightful advice. /sarcasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Good lord, I would never use an interview service at school. They are ****usually**** staffed by students, who have a wealth of experience in successful interviews and techniques who can give you accurate and insightful advice. /sarcasm
    I guess JETs favorite expression for aspiring JETs can apply here as well : ESID. I'm not saying that you are by any means wrong, but there is the occasional business recruiter that does the mock interviews on campus, depending on how lucky you are.
    The last service we were offered was being provided by a major communications company in our area.... But then again maybe that might have been because I'm/the people it was offered to are in the college of business.... Either way, I wouldn't rule it out completely. At the very least, it can't do you any harm, as it is the equivalent of asking a friend to ask you generic questions, except with the possibility of being slightly more useful depending on the person you get/request.
    Last edited by itsabird; January 14th, 2014 at 14:09.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Actually, my point was it can be very much be detrimental if you are practicing with someone who cannot provide you appropriate feedback. Especially if it reinforces poor response patterns. Either interview with a pro/vet (if you have that service available) or go it alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Awesome post word!

Thanks for posting this word!

For ladies who would like to wear make-up to the interview, but don't know where to start, I highly suggest going to your local department store with a make-up counter and asking if the Clinique (if you don't wear make-up often or at all and don't want to chance a surprise allergic reaction, this is your best brand) girls can touch you up to be natural & interview appropriate. They're going to try and sell you on the products, but at worst, you come out with a new tube of 10$ lipgloss.

I went the morning of my interview before driving to the consulate, and it was the best and I came out of it with so many free full sized samples. If you have time, get your picture taken for the pass slip at CVS/Walgreens right after. My interview was scheduled early afternoon though...some of you may be SOL.

That, and if you're going to wear pantyhose, buy two pairs and fold one pair NIP in your bag.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lianwen View Post
    I am a competent, semifunctioning adult of modest landwhale proportions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    how many more threads in which BJ declares his love for lianwen do we need?

Reading these posts makes me feel lucky to be a man. A good haircut and shave we're good to go. Worrying about make-up would drive me nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

If you want to go without makeup. That's totally fine too. As long as you feel comfortable and confident. Make sure you look good, clean, but you don't have to look like a model.
    If you don't wear makeup, ever, and you are comfortable that way don't worry about it.
    If you want a bit of a confidence boost throw on some mascara and lip gloss.
    If you always wear makeup, go for it, just don't go over the top, keep it day safe and professional. The more natural the better in most job interviews.

Also Lianwen is absolutely right about pantyhose, if you wear them bring extras!
    Last edited by AVN; February 1st, 2014 at 18:09.

Hey, thanks much for the write up, man. Read it a week before the interview. Thought about it often the day of.

Unfortunately, no one with anime plushies were present at my interview. Everyone I saw wore a black suit, a tasteful tie, and were outgoing and cheerful. Even more, a woman my age came in who was already doing Japanese non-verbals subconsciously (hand over mouth when laughing at something I said, etc). Slayed me on the spot.
    Last edited by Immaneuel Kanter; March 6th, 2014 at 15:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Immaneuel Kanter View Post
    Even more, a woman my age came in who was already doing Japanese non-verbals subconsciously (hand over mouth when laughing at something I said, etc). Slayed me on the spot.
    People that have received etiquette lessons sometimes do that; it may have nothing to do with Japan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    People that have received etiquette lessons sometimes do that; it may have nothing to do with Japan.
    Definitely possible. I only doubt it because we had a conversation about growing up in towns close to each other where something like etiquette lessons are few and far between. That said, the more I think about how, to be honest, unnaturally precise her English was the more etiquette lessons or something along those lines seems to be probable.
    Last edited by Immaneuel Kanter; March 6th, 2014 at 15:59.

I read it all and liked it, very informative and very helpful too. Thanks for the advice (^_^)

Fantastic interview advice from everyone.. thanks so much! It definitely helps to have lots of realistic advice on what to do.

I think the advice about getting friends to read practice questions is fantastic - I actually did that with a friend who was applying to a different exchange programme and he kept saying things that were really vague or sounded arrogant but didn't mean to. By the time he went to his interview (and had been grilled by me and a friend about a week before!) he was well prepared.

It really helps to have someone tell you or see where you can get caught off guard.