Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Word's Formerly Secret Interview Advice

Default Re: Word's Formerly Secret Interview Advice

So I live in Hawaii and the standard business wear here is an aloha/polo shirt and slacks. Should I buy a suit anyway or should I just go in an aloha shirt and slacks?

You could easily be interviewed by a Japanese embassy worker or a Japanese citizen. Go get a suit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Yeah; in Texas, "standard business attire" might include nice denim jeans and a short-sleeve button-down. Standard business attire is not necessarily appropriate for a formal job interview.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Banned

Even if that does fly in Hawai'i, you'll need it in japan anyway so probably better to buy one now.

Quote Originally Posted by acpc2203 View Post
    So I live in Hawaii and the standard business wear here is an aloha/polo shirt and slacks. Should I buy a suit anyway or should I just go in an aloha shirt and slacks?
    As this is a job in Japan dictated by Japanese hiring laws, dress appropriately. This means suit (black if possible) and tie if you're a guy or something equal if you're a girl (if you're a girl, always air on the side of conservatism when picking your outfit).

Quote Originally Posted by JET ProgramCoordinator SF View Post
    always air on the side of conservatism
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417648384.677667.jpg?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Heh... I was one of the last interviews on the last day at my consulate. I wore black slacks, tan shirt with fairly plain dark purple tie and a non-black sport jacket. Still got in just fine. Although a suit is definitely up there on "things you should have anyway."

I also drove 4 hours through snow to get to the consulate and then around 6 hours back home (yay work obligations!) Not a great plan, but I wouldn't worry about it if you know where you're going.

I made pretty pointless small talk about where the ex-JETs placements were etc. Pretty much every JET is willing to talk (for better or worse) about their town/city/prefecture.

And I second the advice to go back through your application before your interview - they interviewers seemed to go through mine with a fine tooth comb and ask me about things I listed in passing (like college 'clubs' and activities.) And the biggest/most open ended questions they asked me were: Why Japan? Why JET/as and ALT? What are your post-JET plans?

When I had the interview last year, they didn't ask me anything from my application or my SoP, so I think it depends...

So in regards to my own interview, it was super easy going. They warmed me up by telling me to relax and just that sentence alone actually took A LOT of the edge off.

I would highly suggest knowing your application and SOP front-and-back and back-to-front. Think honestly about why you choose JET, why Japan, and what you hope to offer your potential students. Remember, this job is about cross-cultural exchange and "internationalization". Be sure to speak honestly about your intentions and how you will handle the culture shock at times. Make sure to speak and make eye contact with each interviewer and smile. If the interviewers stump you on a question, try to spin it around and say something like, "Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to that, but I would look forward to learning about the answer through my experience in Japan."

Also, definitely prepare a question to ask them. There are a ton of sample ones online you can search, but they've probably heard those a million times. Try and be creative and ask them something outside of the box. Of course, don't venture too far outside the box, but ask them something that will show you've done your research into the program. For example, I asked about the AJET Program and also what ways the JET Program supports connections with its members after they leave Japan. Maybe even ask the JET on your panel a personal question about their impressions before coming to japan and how those impressions changed after they left. Try to make them think a bit and of course like WORD said, "smile".

Best of luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by BeckyJones
    you will soon learn... Imagine the worst people you knew in college. Now imagine them trying to continue their college life in another country, constantly talking shit about each other and their foreign country like it is shit... only to be the shittiest of the bunch.

now imagine the people who don't fit into that, and are actually shittier.... that is ITIL.

I can't emphasize this enough- RELAX.

Do your preparations, of course. Just don't get so worked up. I made the mistake of reading way too much of this and other sites on the internet.

I still got in, but I really wish I had not worried so much in the weeks leading up.

Good luck with your interview.

Banned

My interviewer was in skull and bones so once I did the secret handshake we just sat back drinking scotch and deriding the proletariat for twenty minutes. Super easy.

Just a question about the photo for the interview voucher. Should this be glued to the card or just clipped on with a paper clip. They seem to be a bit pedantic about staples and paperclips and so on so I don't want to mess it up.

Also I saw on word's interview advice thread that you need to write your name on the back of the pic. This wasn't mentioned anywhere and was wondering if it is still necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Liamers View Post
    Just a question about the photo for the interview voucher. Should this be glued to the card or just clipped on with a paper clip. They seem to be a bit pedantic about staples and paperclips and so on so I don't want to mess it up.

Also I saw on word's interview advice thread that you need to write your name on the back of the pic. This wasn't mentioned anywhere and was wondering if it is still necessary.
    It says on the voucher to glue it and write your name on the back.

not on mine (Irish). It just says attach a passport sized photo to the top right corner and nothing about signing.

Quote Originally Posted by Liamers View Post
    not on mine (Irish). It just says attach a passport sized photo to the top right corner and nothing about signing.
    Ahh...well It wouldn't hurt to write your name on the back just in case it becomes detached?

I personally would follow exactly what your letter says, don't go following another country's rules if they've not been listed for you. They can't fault you for not doing something they you to, but they can if you do something extra which they don't want.

Writing your name on the back of the photo seems like like a common-sense solution to the real possibility of its accidental detachment from the voucher. I cannot possibly imagine that you would ever "lose points" in any way for doing such a thing. Also...

Quote Originally Posted by Viral View Post
    They can't fault you for not doing something they you to, but they can if you do something extra which they don't want.
    LOL Read that again. I'm fairly certain that the opposite is true. "They can't fault you for not doing something they want you to?" I'm pretty sure they can and do.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

... I'll actually blame my big fingers in relation to the small characters on my phone screen/ autocorrect/ tiredness. I think it's obvious what I meant though .