Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbies, I want your input on ithinkimlost.com.

Default Newbies, I want your input on ithinkimlost.com.

Hello all,

If you don't know, I'm the guy who keeps the site online. I've been in the background doing server adminy stuff, which includes backups and all that good stuff.

What I need from you new guys and girls are what you want from the site:

- Are there things you hate about the site and want changed?

- Do you think there's a problem with bullying on the site? Does this prevent you from posting?

- Do you think ITIL is an old way of communicating (e.g. facebook/twitter is what 'all the cool kids' are using?)?

- What would make you come here more often and post more?

The future of ITIL isn't looking great because we're losing active members. This means we get less donations, meanwhile the cost of hosting the site keeps going up. We have 7 months before we close the doors due to being unable to afford another year of hosting. That's being completely honest with you.

If you wish to email me directly rather than post here, you can email paul @ ithinkimlost.com

Thanks!
    Need a website hosted? ITIL runs on webhosting provided by BigWetFish. They're really great - check them out at bigwetfish.com. Sign up using the link and you'll also be helping ITIL with commission!

Default Re: Newbies, I want your input on ithinkimlost.com.

Alright, I'll give my opinions(for whatever they are worth). Lurked for a few years, started posting this application period.

1)Design wise? No, this is a standard forum and that doesn't bother me any.

2) Is there bullying? Well...There are certain people who's posting behavior is very off-putting with its crass and sarcastic manner of passing on information. I assume it's a response to years and years weeabooish nubs coming in with rose-tinted glasses every fall. It doesn't bother me from posting in place like this, but the lounge has so many giant threads of constant jabs about lord knows what. It feels rude to suddenly jump into what appears to be a long going conversation between people that know each other while I'm just some outsider. It bugs my person sensibilities.

3) Maybe forums are an old style, but infinitely more useful for searching than something like facebook or twitter. I'd say reddit is where "all the cool kids" are. You have multiple sub-reddits with people interested in specific things that can be easily searched blah blah blah. Although I would stay away from /r/Japan because it's basically a room filled with several hundred people and all of them are Ini.

4) Getting on JET/working in Japan. I'm going to guess active users is a very cyclical thing with sudden spurts of active people around important JET related dates, and when people don't get it they just leave the forum.

Mostly just the trolls.

- Do you think there's a problem with bullying on the site? Does this prevent you from posting?
    Yes. Honestly, I just don't want to get involved in a flame war or have my every damn word picked apart and trolled. For some people it's fun, and I don't think we need to be 100% srs business but the last thing I want to do is spend my leisure time sifting through a bunch of snarky replies. Also, there's a really clear division (maybe clique is more appropriate) between the regular/older posters and newbies. I get it - JET attracts its share of immature/weeaboo/creepy people, and they're not necessarily the type of people I want to embrace either but you either adapt and accept or die off.

- Do you think ITIL is an old way of communicating (e.g. facebook/twitter is what 'all the cool kids' are using?)?
    It might be. I don't mind forums and prefer them in some cases but I'm always on Facebook. I hate Twitter, personally.

Mostly people not being dicks.
    I came here to laugh at you.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Baron View Post

I haven't been around long enough to say anything is wrong. I think it's fine as it is.

I've seen some rough remarks here and there in the posts. But honestly, this is the internet. I don't care who the people on the forums are, there will always be people who don't get along, as with anywhere.

I feel forums contain a completely different community. Facebook is used a lot, yes. And twitter feels more like a stream based thing, of which cannot be contained or treated as a true community, unlike forums.

Nothing would make me come here more often, as I am currently visiting the site plenty of times a day already. But I feel it's like dstin said; It's a cyclical thing. As new JETs emerge, people will stumble upon the forums and contribute. As JETs leave, so will the posters. I don't have an answer as to how to get more people to contribute other than just hope the next wave of JET participants or applicants are as ambitious as the last, or potentially more so.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

I'd like to thank everyone for their honest responses. Do not feel bad about offending the old hats around here, we won't be truly offended in anyway and welcome input.

Also, please join in and interrupt our massive threads! We enjoy the distraction and new ideas that come from participation. I do wish there were any easier right of passage than jump in feet first and be ready to be eaten by the sharks, but that is the same in any online community (including reddit) so just go ahead and have fun with us!

Lastly, beer baron is a pretty awesome guy so tell him the truth he needs to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Nope, not really.

I don't think any of it is really genuinely mean spirited. It seems like most of it is pretty tongue-in-cheek. Personally, I think this place is pretty reasonable. I have seen some people even pull their punches when some incredibly naive things have been said by newbies.

Dude, I don't even own a cell phone. I am not the guy to answer this questions. I am a goddamn Luddite.

Here is the BIG problem with this forum... there just isn't enough activity. I know that doesn't help you at all, but that is my only problem. I would post here more if it was more active (self-fulfilling prophesy?).

I hope things pick up for this forum. I am very strongly considering donating (though that will probably have to wait for my coffers to replenish). Cheers!
    Last edited by spman2099; January 14th, 2014 at 20:41.

1. Its a standard forum. Don't love it or hate it.

2. I don't consider it bullying. If its between the older guys I know its just banter and its hilarious in most cases. I've also seen occasions where being a bit harsh has been called for (the dude with thug in his username.) And the behaviour doesn't put me off, its just a lack of time. I tend to read through a bunch of the posts and end up having to do something before I get a chance to chime in.

2. Nah. Screw all this snapchat and other shitty things that come out. Give me a good ol' forum any day.

4. Honestly, there's not much that can bring people back, its a very specific place. If I get on JET then I'll be around for quite a while. If I don't, then I'd probably come on occasionally but there isn't much of a drawback unless I re-apply next year.

Oh and spman2099 - how the hell can you manage without a phone in this day and age?!

I don't hate anything about the site, although if there were live post updates that would be pretty useful instead of constantly getting emails/notifications on my phone from Tapatalk (I know I can easily disable those but then I won't know if someone's replied to me!)

Don't think it's as serious as bullying, but I have seen one or two regular posters shoot newbies down quite aggressively and it's just not necessary. I get that having people ask the same things all the time can be frustrating but new posters come here for information, and sometimes they do say dumb stuff but there's no need to be rude! But trolling doesn't bother me (especially if someone is obviously being a prick) and anyway it's amusing to read.

Nope, please don't try to be like them! 99% of the time no one cares what anyone on facebook/twitter says...

I'd probably be involved in more threads if I was a regular poster but I'm not (yet), so I will just gradually work my way around the forum until people notice me ha.

EDIT: Also, what happened to the UK Applying thread? Are we allowed back in yet..?
    Last edited by Nell; January 15th, 2014 at 02:32.

I really like the site's layout. I do wish that older information about JET questions could be easier to find in the archives. I'm certain there are a lot of questions that are brought up every year and it would be great if there was a "put your mind at ease" newbie guide. Maybe if I get in, I'll do that for you guys.

I'm pretty shy in general. Especially online. When I was Caturday, I did notice that people were more snarky back in 2010, 2011. It seems to have died down though. Everyone has been very helpful on here and I can totally understand frustration of answering the exact same questions every year from us Newbies.

Yeah, it's older, but it's so necessary! Could you imagine trying to get help on a site like FB?

I have been on various boards. I'm on RP boards, digital pet boards, and art communities. One thing that keeps people interested in a board are activities. Giving out contests where prizes can be digital or real could be a great way to keep activity up during the slow months. For people in JET, maybe you could host a writing contest for a carepackage? For the rest of us not in Japan, maybe a box of snacks and little goodies? A great idea for those of us waiting for interviews would be to host a fictional writing contest! It would allow us to be distracted from waiting on JET and it would be a fun way to get involved!

Maybe during the summer months, have a creativity contest where members craft objects according to a theme?

Nope, this forum is pretty interesting. Though, I would feel more like some random weird bloke lurking around if I didn't actually make it on JET.

Ini.... abuses me....sexually.... make it stop!!!

No way, old school forums are the best! I even still use MIRC! Facebook and twitter are for nerds with camp Korean style haircuts that have participated in every high school fad from YOYOs to virtual pets.

Some kind of subscription that has free alcohol delivered to my house monthly. That, and maybe becoming a JET would help.

Not really. I think it has everything that's needed.
    I'm not really bothered about the trolling or sharp responses to be honest, though I have to say that I don't post much because I feel I have nothing to add to conversations. A lot of threads seem to be between people who know each other or of each other and there's banter back and forth which is fine. The only issue I had with it was when the UK thread got locked because the intent behind the thread was useful until it got completely derailed.
    While forums might be an old school way of communicating, the searchability and organisation means that it's much more informative than facebook or twitter or even tumblr. There isn't really anywhere else on the internet right now that has the same level of feedback as this forum especially as the official JET forums are essentially defunct for those who are applying.
    Honestly, if I had something useful to contribute. As it stands, I don't feel I do. I can't give advice to others having not got on JET myself and I don't have any questions. I feel bad 'lurking' but I'd rather lurk than spam meaningless crap all over the forum or ask a question that's been asked a million times before already. I think I'd probably post more if I had confirmation I was actually going to Japan.

I was debating about posting in this thread, but I may as well.

The site itself is fine, I don't have any problem with it. But...

Honestly? It kind of does. I don't know that I would call it "bullying" exactly, but as some of the previous posters stated, some of the older and more established members here seem like jerks sometimes. I get that they're these hard, seasoned veterans of Japan and are maybe trying to scare off newbies who they think wouldn't fit in, but I really don't think that's for them to decide. When I first joined, I posted one or two topics asking what I figured were fairly harmless questions and some of the responses I got just ripped into me and made all these assumptions about me before I'd made more than a few posts. I try to treat everyone courteously, even online, and I'd like to be greeted with that same base level of courteousness. I haven't been posting much since because I don't want to inadvertently invite more responses like those, and I have better ways of spending my time than defending myself from strangers on an internet forum.

Maybe forums are old, but they're one of my preferred methods of online communication. It's easier to archive topics and have in-depth discussions on a forum than on Facebook or Twitter. I think the format suits ITIL well.

If I'm accepted to JET, or another position in Japan. As it stands, a lot of times I feel like I don't have as much to contribute to conversations because a lot of the topics in the Lounge relate to living/working in Japan. That's perfectly fine, but presently I don't feel as though I can relate, so I've mostly stuck to the Aspiring forum.

The only problem I have with the site is the bullying problem. I am very reluctant to post here, and will never donate because of 5-10 regular members who are offensive and abusive. I've reported these people's attacks against me before and basically been told to suck it up. It's too bad, because I thought this forum would be a good alternative to the big name forums that have closed recently.

Quote Originally Posted by tobenaitori View Post
    The only problem I have with the site is the bullying problem. I am very reluctant to post here, and will never donate because of 5-10 regular members who are offensive and abusive. I've reported these people's attacks against me before and basically been told to suck it up. It's too bad, because I thought this forum would be a good alternative to the big name forums that have closed recently.
    tobe, I appreciate your opinion and your input, and your response worries me. I wonder if others feel this way. I've just read all of your posts; the vast majority were well-received and received relatively friendly responses. In fact, I only saw one reported post and one incident in which someone said something offensive to you. Was one incident really enough to cause you to view our site in such a negative light? For what it's worth, when you reported the post in question, a brief discussion ensued amongst the moderators regarding the best way to handle the situation. We absolutely did not intend to dismiss your concerns or imply that you should "suck it up."
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Nothing really in this regard, a forum is a forum. I don't think there could be anything the old timers could do about the layout of the society that would make it better or worse. It's a forum.

Bullying? Absolutely not, I don't post much to begin with, but I do read heavily the majority of the threads. I feel that the people who might be considered to be "bullying" are simply telling people what they need to hear, when they need to hear it. Moving overseas, especially working overseas, is not all sunshine and roses. The people that respond in honest, short, and informed ways are the people that are actually going to make the difference. It might scathe the skin at first, but I think that if the people who feel they are being bullied look back they'll realize they are actually receiving very honest and accurate advice. The sarcasm is just a bonus.

The forums are great. The issue is not "what the cool kids" are using. It's that the concept of ithinkimlost is very niche. With the aspiring JET forum down on the official forums its hard to get the word out that this website exists. I, in fact, stumbled upon this website through some pretty intense internet searching for JET related websites. If there was a way to advertise the site in a more effective manner I know that it would become much more active among the ex-pat community. I tell most of the people I know that are wanting to go overseas to Japan to teach to read this forum.

This is a very dynamic topic, I think as the years go by its hard to find fresh and exciting topics to talk about. Not a lot of people discuss Japanese news related to education or the teaching in Japan, or even anything that would or does really affect ALTs. I posted something the other day regarding the mandatory implementation of electronics stirred a discussion which was great. I guess it's all a matter of new and engaging content.

So I did some thinking over the weekend and there was a couple things, I feel I am still fairly new here.

I dislike that the site is viewed as a place to vent frustrations and help with the application process. Yet there is wondering about why membership is dropping. Maybe we need to diversify to cover more topics of interest. (More on this below)

I wouldn't say the problem is bullying but maybe trolling. I was re-applying to the JET Program for 2013 and I made a post asking if there were any "round 2 JETs" that could offer me advice. Quickly that thread turned into a bunch of "Don't come back" comments. It turned me off pretty hard. At the time I was looking for real advice not negativity. I only recently came back. (And it wasn't through EFL that I came back either.)

It seems that alot of the Prefectures are moving to Facebook groups. When I was on JET in 2006-2008, my prefecture had one of the best websites (I think we won the best JET website 3 years in a row). It had its own forum, it really allowed us to help each other and to be social. It was good as well because other ALTs found us and joined the forum as well.

I think it would be cool to have MORE sections. The more ground you cover, the more likely it'll be that you keep members coming back once they get into Japan. Cover other topics that might interest other members.
    Some ideas I had:
    Regional groups: Create a 5-8 groups breaking the country up into parts, ie Kyushu, Shikoku, Northern Kanto, etc. This would allow geographically close JETS to talk about events happening near them.
    Gender based forums: Lock gender so it changed be switched then create a male and a female section. (The dudes and dudettes can talk amongst themselves about issues that affect them specifically)
    LGBT Forums: This would be a something you choose when you sign up. The reason I though of this was because of a recent thread that some created saying you could ask them about being Gay in Japan and quickly it turned in to people (including myself) asking a bunch of stupid questions.
    Cooking forums: Including a veg section. I think this would bring in a lot more people; sharing finds, receipts, restaurants, etc.

I just expanding the offering of the site will allow it to be appeal to more people in general.
    Let me know what you think.
    Last edited by ihatefall; January 20th, 2014 at 10:54.
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by genkispirit View Post

This is a very dynamic topic, I think as the years go by its hard to find fresh and exciting topics to talk about. Not a lot of people discuss Japanese news related to education or the teaching in Japan, or even anything that would or does really affect ALTs. I posted something the other day regarding the mandatory implementation of electronics stirred a discussion which was great. I guess it's all a matter of new and engaging content.
    This is a good point, and that was an excellent discussion in Japan/JET/School Related. Please keep posting stuff like that!

Quote Originally Posted by ihatefall View Post
    I dislike that the site is viewed as a place to vent frustrations and help with the application process. Yet there is wondering about why membership is dropping. Maybe we need to diversify to cover more topics of interest. (More on this below)
    Also a good point; we're working on this.
    I wouldn't say the problem is bullying but maybe trolling. I was re-applying to the JET Program for 2013 and I made a post asking if there were any "round 2 JETs" that could offer me advice. Quickly that thread turned into a bunch of "Don't come back" comments. It turned me off pretty hard. At the time I was looking for real advice not negativity. I only recently came back.
    Thanks for coming back! We're working on toning down the trollishness in Aspiring and Applying; hopefully you will notice a difference. Don't hesitate to report something if you feel like it's trolling (or even if you see a thread that's going off track and needs some straightening out).

I think it would be cool to have MORE sections. The more ground you cover, the more likely it'll be that you keep members coming back once they get into Japan. Cover other topics that might interest other members.
    Some ideas I had:
    Regional groups: Create a 5-8 groups breaking the country up into parts, ie Kyushu, Shikoku, Northern Kanto, etc. This would allow geographically close JETS to talk about events happening near them.
    Gender based forums: Lock gender so it changed be switched then create a male and a female section. (The dudes and dudettes can talk amongst themselves about issues that affect them specifically)
    LGBT Forums: This would be a something you choose when you sign up. The reason I though of this was because of a recent thread that some created saying you could ask them about being Gay in Japan and quickly it turned in to people (including myself) asking a bunch of stupid questions.
    ・cooking forums including a veg section
    This idea is interesting; it's kinda the opposite of what we've actually been trying to do, though. We feel that we've lost so much traffic that we need to consolidate forums--refine our focus a bit, make the professional forums a bit more professional and the off-topic forums a bit more active.

The regional idea isn't bad, though it would probably need to be a sub-forum of one of the others, and I don't know how much traffic such forums would actually get. There's always been an element of anonymity on ITIL--and that's something that we've permitted and even encouraged; it's something that sets us apart from Official. Obviously, it's a double-edged sword; it allows people to rant about various aspects of their placement/job, and it allows a bit of trolling to take place, but I feel that it's also a good thing in a lot of ways. It might be worth a try, but I'm just not sure that it's gonna get very much use.

The gender-based forums... I'm not really sure that this is a workable idea. What would prevent someone from signing up as another gender? I think the best you could do would be to create a "Women's Issues" thread or a "Men's Issues" thread in one of the professional forums and ask that it be heavily moderated.

The same for the LGBT forums: jw's thread was overrun by trolls, obviously, and eventually the thread was moved to The Lounge. I gotta say; he did a fabulous job of handling said trolls. If a similar thread is recreated, though, it will be heavily moderated; though I participated in the malarkey, it seems like a reasonably legitimate topic, and I'll try to help ensure it stays on topic in the future. This is a sort of transitional period for ITIL, so please forgive us when we fall short and help us set things right in the future!

We did have a cooking thread; you could resurrect it!
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

I wouldn't say the problem is bullying but maybe trolling. I was re-applying to the JET Program for 2013 and I made a post asking if there were any "round 2 JETs" that could offer me advice. Quickly that thread turned into a bunch of "Don't come back" comments. It turned me off pretty hard. At the time I was looking for real advice not negativity.
    The main problem is the regulars are a lot of people bored at work with nothing better to do. TBH I think the mods just need to start being more aggressive in moderating forums outside of the lounge. Delete everything that is trolling or being too aggressive in criticising someone (even if it's also giving advice). Too many people are getting their jollies from acting "superior" to others and trying to ridicule them needlessly. Some people are like Lianwen and need to be ridiculed at every opportunity to remind them what a ridiculous individual they are, but others are just a little naive/misinformed and don't need some douche sneering at them, even if their comments are somewhat accurate. Although another problem is even when people are genuinely ridiculous it's going to put off potential new members if they see newbies being wrecked for asking questions or w/e.

There needs to be a more firm distinction between the lounge and everything else. The mods need to be more consistent and proactive, right now it seems like you just wait around for people to hit the complain button and half the time ignore it if the post contains some advice. At least post warnings to people; I think a lot of newbies are gonna see someone with 4000 posts telling them they're a moron and assume that is the site's approved stance.

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    The same for the LGBT forums: jw's thread was overrun by trolls, obviously, and eventually the thread was moved to The Lounge. I gotta say; he did a fabulous job of handling said trolls. If a similar thread is recreated, though, it will be heavily moderated; though I participated in the malarkey, it seems like a reasonably legitimate topic, and I'll try to help ensure it stays on topic in the future.
    Not gonna have a go but although that thread was hilarious, it was another good example of inconsistent modding practices. TBH I only kept posting to see how far we could go before a mod actually caught up to it. We all know Ini makes great jokes but that doesn't mean you should just let him get away with it, even if you personally are enjoying it.

Now this might well be hypocritical of me but I think if you're gonna change the site anyway then you might as well do it properly. Don't wait for newbies to tell you what they want and what their problems are, go and mod the site to make it what it's actually supposed to be.

Maybe everyone needs to sack up and prepare themselves for the harsh realities of life alone in a foreign land?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Not gonna have a go but although that thread was hilarious, it was another good example of inconsistent modding practices. TBH I only kept posting to see how far we could go before a mod actually caught up to it. We all know Ini makes great jokes but that doesn't mean you should just let him get away with it, even if you personally are enjoying it.

Now this might well be hypocritical of me but I think if you're gonna change the site anyway then you might as well do it properly. Don't wait for newbies to tell you what they want and what their problems are, go and mod the site to make it what it's actually supposed to be.
    You're right about all of that. I'm trying. Unfortunately, I am also a bit of a dumbass. I'll try to improve.