Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbies, I want your input on ithinkimlost.com.

Default Re: Newbies, I want your input on ithinkimlost.com.

Hey Benson! Do you mean like a new line

like this?

If so, what are you posting from, cell, tablet, etc.? Or am I completely misunderstanding you and you mean like starting a new thread or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

Quote Originally Posted by Page View Post
    Hey Benson! Do you mean like a new line

like this?

If so, what are you posting from, cell, tablet, etc.? Or am I completely misunderstanding you and you mean like starting a new thread or something?
    Yeah, like that!

I'm struggling to do it on the Desktop Web page. I haven't tried to reply on my phone yet as I am doing now.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I'm a bit confused. On your desktop, precisely what happens when you press "Enter" after typing a line of text?
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

?

I had this problem too for a while, only on my work computer. I'd hit the return key and nothing happens, you just keep typing on the same line.

I don't know what fixed it though. Try logging out and and logging in again.

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    I'm a bit confused. On your desktop, precisely what happens when you press "Enter" after typing a line of text?
    Pushing enter creates a new line in the editor as you'd expect. But when I hit submit, all the lines get pushed into one big paragraph in the final post.

Eg.

Line 1
    Line 2

Line 4

Becomes

Line 1 Line 2 Line 4

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Hmm, that's odd; I've certainly never experienced anything like that. Jiggit, was it happening to you recently?
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Baron View Post

- Are there things you hate about the site and want changed?

- Do you think there's a problem with bullying on the site? Does this prevent you from posting?

- Do you think ITIL is an old way of communicating (e.g. facebook/twitter is what 'all the cool kids' are using?)?

- What would make you come here more often and post more?

The future of ITIL isn't looking great because we're losing active members. This means we get less donations, meanwhile the cost of hosting the site keeps going up. We have 7 months before we close the doors due to being unable to afford another year of hosting. That's being completely honest with you.
    Hi there. Definitely a newbie here. I was referred by someone who used the site back in 2003 or something? She was actually surprised it was still up and running, and sent me the link with some excitement. I didn't know there was so much of a community online when I applied for JET back in November. Kind of wish I had, but I'm happy to have found it now.

- I don't hate anything about the site. I think it's easy to use and is a great resource (if you can find the topics that have had some good discussion).

- I don't know too much about bullying. From lurking and reading comments, I guess I've seen a lot of sarcasm and some trolling, but that's pretty typical online fare? I wouldn't say it prevents me from posting. I just don't feel I often have anything relevant to say (being new to the forum, never having lived in Japan, being an alternate for JET, etc.)

- Forums are maybe not as popular as they once were, but I think for the information it provides, a forum format is best. Just trying to envision this as tweets is hilarious! I'm sure some people really value the anonymity a forum provides (as opposed to Facebook). I guess it has a similar functionality to Reddit. It would be sad to see ITIL go though, seeing as its been around so long and there's such a stash of really helpful topics and comments here.

- I'm not sure what would make me post more. I guess if I felt I had more to say/contribute I would. But ever since finding out about ITIL, I'd say I've been on the forums about once or twice per day, reading up on various things. Actually, if it were anymore addicting, I might fail my finals! (Though I guess I'm still in a honeymoon phase, its hardly been a month since I joined!)

Not sure if this helps, and sorry it's taken me awhile to respond. I get that hosting is expensive. I host a few websites (though nothing as large an undertaking as this no doubt is). I'm not sure what could bring in more active members...

Is it known how most people find ITIL? Are they referred?
    Is ITIL losing members because its being replaced by something else? And why did JET close their official forums? Did they feel replacement with other social media was more beneficial, or was there another reason? (I wasn't really active when the official forums were a thing, so I don't really know if there was a known reason as to their closure, but I was thinking it might be related?)
    Last edited by ckrisp; May 4th, 2014 at 05:12.

Hello there! I decided to post and introduce myself so that I don't seem like a gross one-time-poster on the Placement Discussion.

Are there things you hate about the site and want changed?
    >>> Not really. I really like ihatefall's "Regional Groups" idea (from the first page of this thread) because it'd allow for friendlier and more personal discussion in a safe environment. You'd find out who's helpful, who's snarky, and who's... well, a little different in your area.

Do you think there's a problem with bullying on the site? Does this prevent you from posting?
    >>> Bullying? Naww. More like... I can envision a lot of the old-timers snapping their fingers in a Z-pattern while replying to others. I've been lurking for a week or so, but I really wanted to hear about past/current JETs' experiences in Gunma, so I joined just now. I figure if I keep my mouth shut and don't say or ask anything stupid, I should be fine. (Not that I really have any questions anyways. Maybe I'll have more as I try to get things sorted out in Japan, but I'm definitely going to ask people I'm in contact with IRL before asking here.)

Do you think ITIL is an old way of communicating (e.g. facebook/twitter is what 'all the cool kids' are using?)?
    >>> It is kinda old, but I've always liked forums. They update relatively slowly. FB and twitter are a little too fast-paced for me.

What would make you come here more often and post more?

>>> Definitely the "Regional Groups" thing. We can all be anonymous yet close and chummy, connected through our common experiences in the same place and space, right? amirite?

No? Well then darn. I guess it's better just to lurk.

- Are there things you hate about the site and want changed?

It's a forum.

- Do you think there's a problem with bullying on the site? Does this prevent you from posting?

I will not go near the lounge because it is a pit of people trolling one another with no actual purpose. Not sure if that constitutes bullying, but the baleetion standards on threads like Aspiring and Applying should be carried over there, as well, if abuse is such a concern. Otherwise it just seems to smack of hypocrisy.

- Do you think ITIL is an old way of communicating (e.g. facebook/twitter is what 'all the cool kids' are using?)?

Of course it is. So?

- What would make you come here more often and post more?

Combination of boredom and the usefulness of such varied opinions and experiences gathered in an active forum.

Quote Originally Posted by happytime View Post
    >>> Bullying? Naww. More like... I can envision a lot of the old-timers snapping their fingers in a Z-pattern while replying to others.
    I'm going to start doing this now too. It's freaking adorable.

Quote Originally Posted by osakavamp View Post
    I will not go near the lounge because it is a pit of people trolling one another with no actual purpose. Not sure if that constitutes bullying, but the baleetion standards on threads like Aspiring and Applying should be carried over there, as well, if abuse is such a concern. Otherwise it just seems to smack of hypocrisy.
    Ironically it's like that now because anything that gets a bit lary gets shoved into a new thread on that board. In the past it was just a place for people to shoot the shit and talk about their day. Even now though there are plenty of threads that are fairly interesting over there without everyone "trolling" each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Ironically it's like that now because anything that gets a bit lary gets shoved into a new thread on that board. In the past it was just a place for people to shoot the shit and talk about their day. Even now though there are plenty of threads that are fairly interesting over there without everyone "trolling" each other.
    Maybe I'll make my way over there after I recover from the ~trauma~ of my sunglasses taking an indirect flight onto my face so I can tell people to Deal With It.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Even now though there are plenty of threads that are fairly interesting over there without everyone "trolling" each other.
    This. I mean, it doesn't hurt to give it a try. Also...I think there's a block user feature on ITIL? If you find one member or particular to be giving you difficulty, do feel free to use this button.

A lot of us can't or don't want to talk to other ALTs near us (if there are any near us, at all) about our day/problems/questions and the lounge can really be a place to not only let off some steam about the day, but also be a reminder that you're not alone in Japan =3
    Quote Originally Posted by Lianwen View Post
    I am a competent, semifunctioning adult of modest landwhale proportions.
    how many more threads in which BJ declares his love for lianwen do we need?

Quote Originally Posted by happytime View Post
    I can envision a lot of the old-timers snapping their fingers in a Z-pattern while replying to others.
    <3

Quote Originally Posted by Lianwen View Post
    This. I mean, it doesn't hurt to give it a try. Also...I think there's a block user feature on ITIL? If you find one member or particular to be giving you difficulty, do feel free to use this button.

A lot of us can't or don't want to talk to other ALTs near us (if there are any near us, at all) about our day/problems/questions and the lounge can really be a place to not only let off some steam about the day, but also be a reminder that you're not alone in Japan =3
    And, as usual, if you feel that you are being personally targeted, feel free to report the post/PM a moderator and we will help you with it.

Has membership picked up at all with the new group who can't use the official forums?

You could make the advertisements more intrusive TBH. I bet your CTR is sub-1% with the single banner currently in use.

Quote Originally Posted by tealparadise View Post
    Has membership picked up at all with the new group who can't use the official forums?
    Yes, although the fact that the forum shutdown happened after applying season wrapped up diminished this effect somewhat. Also, some of the new folks seem a bit startled at the non-carebear nature of ITIL, which is rather depressing in my eyes, particularly given how much nicer Aspiring and Applying is recently.

Quote Originally Posted by tealparadise View Post
    You could make the advertisements more intrusive TBH. I bet your CTR is sub-1% with the single banner currently in use.
    Possibly, but at the moment, funds are okay, apparently, and in the interests of attracting moar users, it might be to our advantage to keep it minimal for now.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    particularly given how much nicer Aspiring and Applying is recently.
    This will probably come back and kick me in the #*&, but I prefer the brutal honesty over forced niceness.
    It's why I'm glad I get to read the other threads . (Even if I don't actively participate)

They provided me with enjoyment over the better part of the year xD.

Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    This will probably come back and kick me in the #*&, but I prefer the brutal honesty over forced niceness.
    It's why I'm glad I get to read the other threads . (Even if I don't actively participate)

They provided me with enjoyment over the better part of the year xD.
    We do still try to allow a bit of healthily brutal honesty here, because I think that, collectively, we all agree that it's important. We just try to keep things... polite in here, I guess.