Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Newbies, I want your input on ithinkimlost.com.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Default Re: Newbies, I want your input on ithinkimlost.com.

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    We do still try to allow a bit of healthily brutal honesty here, because I think that, collectively, we all agree that it's important. We just try to keep things... polite in here, I guess.
    Oh, I get that. It's just nice to know that if you so desire, you can see the two sides of the coin.

So I'm happy for the existence of sections like the Lounge and VIP.

Not sure if you're still seeking opinions from newbies but here's a resident newbie giving their thoughts if you still crave them!

- Are there things you hate about the site and want changed?
    I like the look and feel of the site and it's extremely easy to navigate. The only thing that tripped me up was the probation period for newbies where mods need to approve posts for a brief period of time before they can post on their own. I completely understand the need for this - But is that mentioned anywhere when first signing up or in a FAQ page? (It probably is. I'm probably just blind. Oops.)

- Do you think there's a problem with bullying on the site? Does this prevent you from posting?
    I wouldn't call it bullying since it's never a direct attack but there are some members making comments around the site fully knowing it's harmful or for the sole purpose of agitating other (probably newer?) members. I feel like a lot of people don't stick around because of this attitude. Does it keep me from posting? Not really. I stay away from certain threads because they're not my cup of tea and I've learnt to step carefully around The Lounge. I assume everyone who joins this board is an adult and can learn to ignore whatever threads they don't agree with and handle it maturely but I sure wish those kinds of posts would stay out of anything other than The Lounge area. I was really, really excited to join this site and become an active member because of the fantastic resources it has in regards to JET and Japan - and I love the to-the-point honest and simple answers a lot of questions get. No beating around the bush. So much so that I was actually really excited to contribute to the site with donations every now and then... But the attitude I mentioned before completely ruined that for me. I'll probably still end up donating in the future because, like I said, this site is amazing and full of a ton of resources for those looking to apply to JET or already in JET - but seeing some posts just have me feeling really disappointed at the moment.

- Do you think ITIL is an old way of communicating (e.g. facebook/twitter is what 'all the cool kids' are using?)?
    Absolutely not. I've always found forums to be easier to track and communicate with other people.

- What would make you come here more often and post more?
    Less troll posts. That's the only thing I can think of. That said, the veterans of the site love that kind of stuff so there's no way it'd make sense for that to stop for the sake of one newbie lmfao.

Also, I think it might be worth mentioning that I held back on posting this at first because I fully know some senior members will laugh at my honest feelings toward the site. That either says a lot about me or a lot about the site. Probably a mixture of both.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Tobio, thank you for your input.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

I didn't know mods had to approve newbie posts. How long has that been a thing?

Quote Originally Posted by coop52 View Post
    I didn't know mods had to approve newbie posts. How long has that been a thing?
    I believe it's only the first three posts that they have to approve before they're granted full access so it's not a big deal at all. I was just really confused when it first happened and had to email one of the admins since I didn't know if something went wrong with my account lol.

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

I'm assuming it's due to the recent spam bots business.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

Pimpin wenches aint easy BeckyJones's Avatar

honest question. What are the troll posts you are referring to? Are they the stupid arguments we have? the not serious "say something offensive to watch someone defend it posts" or words crazy anti fat people shit?
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Quote Originally Posted by BeckyJones View Post
    honest question. What are the troll posts you are referring to? Are they the stupid arguments we have? the not serious "say something offensive to watch someone defend it posts" or words crazy anti fat people shit?
    Three guesses. And seeing as you've given three options, you're an automatic winner!
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

The 'arguments' are between the people having them, so no. The fat shaming thread is, for the most part, a legitimate discussion thread and while some people in that thread are eye roll-worthy, word does his best to at least make it a legitimate discussion which I can appreciate so I simply do my best to ignore it. But...

the not serious "say something offensive to watch someone defend it posts"
    I'm not sure if this is what my problem is. The fact that people recognize members on this forum are purposefully baiting people like this is pretty depressing. I haven't witnessed much of this myself but the fact that you brought it up concerns me for what past newbies have gone through or what future new members will go through.

I'd be willing to point out my main problem with an admin or mod through PM since I'm not comfortable with pinpointing the exact messages in public but that's only if an admin or mod desires to do so. I'm an adult and I can handle myself on these forums and I don't really have any intention of leaving any time soon because the legitimate advice and honest answers to a lot of things are worth it. I may find myself enjoying The Lounge once I get accustomed to how people act around here lol.

I may seem like a DELICATE FLOWER from my posts but I'm pretty tough. I think my worries stem from the more sensitive users coming for advice or wanting to develop relations with other JETs only to find that this place makes them uncomfortable.

WOW AM I EVEN MAKING SENSE. It's 7:45pm and I haven't eaten yet today so my brain is like slush.

Quote Originally Posted by tobio View Post
    The 'arguments' are between the people having them, so no. The fat shaming thread is, for the most part, a legitimate discussion thread and while some people in that thread are eye roll-worthy, word does his best to at least make it a legitimate discussion which I can appreciate so I simply do my best to ignore it. But...

I'm not sure if this is what my problem is. The fact that people recognize members on this forum are purposefully baiting people like this is pretty depressing. I haven't witnessed much of this myself but the fact that you brought it up concerns me for what past newbies have gone through or what future new members will go through.
    honestly, not exactly sure what the problem here is. Why is that depressing? To give you an idea from an OG. I feel like, if you can't handle a dose of insanity and reality from random strangers on the internet you shouldn't be teaching in Japan. So that is why I do it. If you think I'M offensive or stupid, wait til you meet your workers. This isn't directed at you, but people in general BTW. Also a lot of people have a weird idea that they are actually "cool". I guess that is the whole, smartest kid in the special ed class syndrome. So I like to take those people to town because, well... its surprisingly therapeutic.

I'd be willing to point out my main problem with an admin or mod through PM since I'm not comfortable with pinpointing the exact messages in public but that's only if an admin or mod desires to do so. I'm an adult and I can handle myself on these forums and I don't really have any intention of leaving any time soon because the legitimate advice and honest answers to a lot of things are worth it. I may find myself enjoying The Lounge once I get accustomed to how people act around here lol.
    if you don't feel comfortable doing it in public I'm really curious now. Remember this site is anonymous. So if you piss an anonymous person off? why does it matter? But if you think it will help, PM a mod and go to town. Or PM the person directly and call them a dickhead... I like that option better. but you know, to each his/her own.

I may seem like a DELICATE FLOWER from my posts but I'm pretty tough. I think my worries stem from the more sensitive users coming for advice or wanting to develop relations with other JETs only to find that this place makes them uncomfortable.

WOW AM I EVEN MAKING SENSE. It's 7:45pm and I haven't eaten yet today so my brain is like slush.
    you are making some sense. but i think this is part of the problem, people are too worried about upsetting the delicate flowers. The flowers need a good stomping from time to time, that is how you learn. Also, this place isn't the best place for JET community, that is more suited for the real world, which i find it odd that weirdos want to do meet and greets with other people on this site like they have no real life friends.
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

honestly, not exactly sure what the problem here is. Why is that depressing? To give you an idea from an OG. I feel like, if you can't handle a dose of insanity and reality from random strangers on the internet you shouldn't be teaching in Japan. So that is why I do it. If you think I'M offensive or stupid, wait til you meet your workers. This isn't directed at you, but people in general BTW. Also a lot of people have a weird idea that they are actually "cool". I guess that is the whole, smartest kid in the special ed class syndrome. So I like to take those people to town because, well... its surprisingly therapeutic.

if you don't feel comfortable doing it in public I'm really curious now. Remember this site is anonymous. So if you piss an anonymous person off? why does it matter? But if you think it will help, PM a mod and go to town. Or PM the person directly and call them a dickhead... I like that option better. but you know, to each his/her own.

you are making some sense. but i think this is part of the problem, people are too worried about upsetting the delicate flowers. The flowers need a good stomping from time to time, that is how you learn. Also, this place isn't the best place for JET community, that is more suited for the real world, which i find it odd that weirdos want to do meet and greets with other people on this site like they have no real life friends.
    I'll edit this later when I have more time, but I think that response was interesting in a number of ways.

Edit: Do you still want me to tell you what was interesting, or are you less bored now?
    Last edited by SomePeopleJustSaySnow; August 5th, 2014 at 13:52.

Quote Originally Posted by SomePeopleJustSaySnow View Post
    I'll edit this later when I have more time, but I think that response was interesting in a number of ways.
    come on. the suspense is killing me, I'm hella bored at work right now. You can tell, cause I'm writing seriously in a non lounge forum.

Well, if it's not a problem to the majority of the members then I'll fold. I think this may just be a case of different mindsets and ways of thinking. Maybe I'm not as tough as I think, haha. If I'm the only one who has a problem with what I mentioned before then there's nothing that needs to be done and it's just an issue of me adjusting to some personalities I'm not used to be being around.

As for the PMing thing - I suppose I was just more comfortable talking about it in private since I may be overreacting and would prefer be told that over PM, but...
    It stemmed from here: Blacklisting threads?

I can handle the "lol look at me trying hard to be funny" personality as well as the next person, but it's pretty inappropriate to make that a comment like that. I replied with a picture of it and shook it off because I wasn't going to let something like that get me down even though it did hurt. That's when a friend of mine who is an aspiring JET who lurks these forums directed me to this post that had such amazing timing right after I asked my question: ITIL JET Programme / Japan Forum

That's not cool. Making these posts simply because I lost one of my best friends is not cool.

Bullying? No. But it was enough for me to consider it an indirect attack on my issues. I have a feeling I'll be told I'm overreacting, as hell maybe I am, but that doesn't invalidate how a newbie like me was met with this kind of behaviour. I mean, I'll obviously get over it but it still left probably the worst first impression on me I could ask for.

Well, if it's not a problem to the majority of the members then I'll fold. I think this may just be a case of different mindsets and ways of thinking. Maybe I'm not as tough as I think, haha. If I'm the only one who has a problem with what I mentioned before then there's nothing that needs to be done and it's just an issue of me adjusting to some personalities I'm not used to be being around.

As for the PMing thing - I suppose I was just more comfortable talking about it in private since I may be overreacting and would prefer be told that over PM, but...
    It stemmed from here: Blacklisting threads?

I can handle the "lol look at me trying hard to be funny" personality as well as the next person, but it's pretty inappropriate to make that a comment like that. I replied with a picture of it and shook it off because I wasn't going to let something like that get me down even though it did hurt. That's when a friend of mine who is an aspiring JET who lurks these forums directed me to this post that had such amazing timing right after I asked my question: ITIL JET Programme / Japan Forum

That's not cool. Making these posts simply because I lost one of my best friends is not cool.

Bullying? No. But it was enough for me to consider it an indirect attack on my issues. I have a feeling I'll be told I'm overreacting, as hell maybe I am, but that doesn't invalidate how a newbie like me was met with this kind of behaviour. I mean, I'll obviously get over it but it still left probably the worst first impression on me I could ask for.
    honestly, you have a legit gripe here. I can't say you are over reacting, or not. It's not within my power. I will say this, tho... "This is some bitter asshole on the internet who doesn't know my situation or yours and a person who has become so desensitized to what is 'real' or 'made up' on the internet that they instantly assume that there are no consequences."
    This is the underlying problem of the internet in general. Is there anyway I know you are telling the truth? no. Is there anyway for me to know that you are not a 12 year old kid? Maybe you are Ini or another forum member pretending to be another person? I don't know, and you can't truely know about us either. That is something to always remember. DO I think you should be offended by this? yea. I do. But if I were you, I'd also try to remember that this asshole doesn't know truth from fiction when it comes to this place, and he/she would likely not act in such a manner if the interaction was amongst two flesh and blood humans. So, I'm not sure where I'm going with this.... but other than to say, "that sucks. But remember you are pretty much dealing with the scum of the universe when you deal with people online".

if keeping that in the back of your mind doesn't help, you can always just insult them, and call them a piece of shit anonymously on the internet.

I'll take your advice and keep that in the back of my mind lol. I appreciate you (and the others) reading my concerns.

I'll take your advice and keep that in the back of my mind lol. I appreciate you (and the others) reading my concerns.
    I'm the biggest piece of shit here. So take what i say with a grain of salt. But I'd let an admin know, but pick one you think can do something. BEER is your best bet, as some of the worst people here are some of the mods.

Woops, sorry about that. I actually intended to challenge word's assertion that "fat shaming/bullying" is a good thing, not upset you.

I'm the biggest piece of shit here.
    Oh, I highly doubt that. You're actually occasionally rather endearing.

As to the OP and their specific problem/experience, yeah... I would be offended too. Offended, but not surprised or angry. As Becky pointed out, this is the internet. It's a medium that brings out the worst in people, and you voluntarily revealed personal information that could be used to push your buttons (in the middle of a posting drought, no less). The important thing, though, is that you didn't let it. You responded with a flippant image and didn't bring the whole thing up again until urged, which is a lot healthier than splurging reams of angry text out in an attempt to make someone you'll never meet feel bad / ashamed (which, this being the internet, will never happen).

If you feel the need to complain, go for it... but you handled it pretty well, by all accounts.

Well, if it was a misunderstanding on my part then I sure as heck feel silly. Regardless, thanks for talking to me about this, guys.
    Looks like I owe the site a contribution after all lol.

Jiggit made the site ten dollars! And not by hinting at the delights his 'special thread' has in store for people! Truly, this is a marvelous day.