Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pre-interview English test

Default Re: Pre-interview English test

Quote Originally Posted by Illuria View Post
    Just had mine yesterday, it's honestly nothing to be too worried about. Try to be concise and quick though, I didn't quite finish it in the 5 minutes allotted. I believe I'm quite a fast writer/thinker as well so I can see other people definitely having some issues. It's nothing to panic about (or even think too hard about) as long as you're a native English speaker. There was only one word I didn't know and not knowing it didn't actually matter with the format of the test.
    Hey thanks for the reply. My interview is imminent. Just wondering, is there a writing element to it? Like writing a paragraph?

Quote Originally Posted by gaijinsunny View Post
    Hey thanks for the reply. My interview is imminent. Just wondering, is there a writing element to it? Like writing a paragraph?
    Not really, it's mostly reading comprehension. I can't talk too much about it since you're not supposed to give anything away, but really it's identifying synonyms and explaining meanings of words as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Illuria View Post
    Not really, it's mostly reading comprehension. I can't talk too much about it since you're not supposed to give anything away, but really it's identifying synonyms and explaining meanings of words as well.
    So it's not even going into the. Itty gritty stuff or transitive and intransitive verbs, identifying subordinate clauses or changing a sentence so it uses the past participle?

That's not so bad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    The english test is specific to the uk only.
    so does no one else find it odd that they only give and English test to people applying from the place that invented the language?

also, someone said 'carpetbagger' awhile back....hehe..
    Last edited by jmejia019; January 28th, 2014 at 13:14.

Banned

Its a relic from a bygone age (BET programme)

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmejia019 View Post
    so does no one else find it odd that they only give and English test to people applying from the place that invented the language?

also, someone said 'carpetbagger' awhile back....hehe..
    I don't find it that odd to be honest. I'm even surprised they don't give it to other nationalities which aren't American because we all have our own idiosyncrasies in our usage of English which can differ quite a bit from standard AmE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    I don't find it that odd to be honest. I'm even surprised they don't give it to other nationalities which aren't American because we all have our own idiosyncrasies in our usage of English which can differ quite a bit from standard AmE.
    good point. I guess a better word would have been ironic​ haha.