Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Second Time JET Applicants

Default Second Time JET Applicants

I am getting ready for my interview and I am a bit stumped about what to expect. I did JET before, but that was over 10years ago. I imagine, as a second timer, they'll be asking different questions or wanting to know different things, but I haven't been able to find anything from second timers to help me figure out what that is. Any second timers on here want to help a girl out?

Thank you!

Default Second Time JET Applicants

As a second-time JET I would expect the interview to be focused in another direction and more rigorous. They already know that you have the experience and can live in Japan, but they will want to know WHY you are returning, and what you will bring fresh to the position.
    Last edited by therealwindycity; January 25th, 2014 at 14:57.
    Quote Originally Posted by Libellule View Post
    I really hope Japan doesn't turn me into this.

Default Re: Second Time JET Applicants

Thanks for that!! I second that those questions are on there. I'm not sure that'll fill the 30 minutes though! Which concerns me - what other doozies are they going to have waiting for me?!

They will want to know if you are aware of the difference you will encounter. They will ask you if you are sure you will be okay still being an assistant even with your prior experience. The BOE you will go to will be used to people who are new to this. They may treat you like you can't do anything or that you don't know how to take care of yourself. How will you deal with that etc?

Ah, good questions!!! Thanks!

They may also be concerned that you might be expecting this to the same experience you had last time. Its crazy how different they can be, I had to move to a different city in the same prefecture while on JET because all the JHSs went private. So be prepared for that.
    How long did you do JET last time?

The cartoonist Lars Martinson is currently here as a second time around JET. Graphic Novel: Tonoharu | Lars Martinson: Cartoonist

I am here again, but not as an ALT.

Thanks ihf! Interesting. That makes me think. I did it for 3 years, from 2001-2004. This time, I'll be coming back with my daughter. My husband is japanese (we met the first time around), but he didn't get a sabbatical and I did, so I am sure it will be very different!!!! How to express and explain that, and how to demonstrate that we'll be ok no matter what happens. I think that'll be key!!

RG

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Randomgirl View Post
    Thanks ihf! Interesting. That makes me think. I did it for 3 years, from 2001-2004. This time, I'll be coming back with my daughter. My husband is japanese (we met the first time around), but he didn't get a sabbatical and I did, so I am sure it will be very different!!!! How to express and explain that, and how to demonstrate that we'll be ok no matter what happens. I think that'll be key!!

RG
    This sounds like a friend of mine. He did JET back in the early 2000s, got married, lived in Canada for 7 or 8 years with his wife. He hated his job in Canada, so he applied for JET as married to a Japanese w/ a kid. He got in, has been at it for 3 years (I think he actually did 6 total at this point), and is now moving onto a private teaching position. His son is 6 or 7 now? (quite young) and seems to have adjusted relatively well to the system... but his English and French is going downhill in the public education system.

You should be pretty clear with your objectives for going back and what specifically you expect to accomplish this time that you didn't last time. They will grill you about it as they will know you are married and with dependents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Very true. I think I need to find a clear and concise way to express this. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    This sounds like a friend of mine. He did JET back in the early 2000s, got married, lived in Canada for 7 or 8 years with his wife. He hated his job in Canada, so he applied for JET as married to a Japanese w/ a kid. He got in, has been at it for 3 years
    Do you think you could get him to pop on here and do a write up of his experiences? It would be really helpful for others.

I would also be prepare for questions about what is your husband going to do? What if you're in a backwater location and he can't find a job? Why do you need JET if you can just get a spousal visa?

Banned

Her husband is going to stay at his job.

Azrael is right. He'll stay here, while we go there. Ooo more good questions thanks!!!

So you're only going for a year?
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ihatefall View Post
    Do you think you could get him to pop on here and do a write up of his experiences? It would be really helpful for others.
    Umm, I have asked him this before, but he has very little interest in assisting with the application process, or most of the ALT communities in general. He said I was free to talk about it, but he just can't be arsed.

He's not your typical ALT, in that he's in his mid thirties, married, has a son (and a new daughter), and is living in Japan rather than a tourist for a couple of years.

He's sort of like Ini, if Ini had a heart and or soul.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Banned

have you never seen a japanese marriage? she could go for 10 years and he'd barely notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Umm, I have asked him this before, but he has very little interest in assisting with the application process, or most of the ALT communities in general. He said I was free to talk about it, but he just can't be arsed.

He's not your typical ALT, in that he's in his mid thirties, married, has a son (and a new daughter), and is living in Japan rather than a tourist for a couple of years.
    Sucks. He could provide some real insight because second time around JETs are pretty rare. (Its way I started using this forum)

I relate though. I am in my early 30's basically married (6+ years already) but no kids. I am living here and this no longer feels exotic or new. We don't want to stay here forever but we'll be here awhile at least. Lucky I don't work in a normal office (we can wear jeans, shorts, etc.) and a lot of people think outside of the box*.

*for Japanese people

Lol! Yah, we've been married for 10 years, so Skype and a few visits will be fine The plan is to take things one year at a time. If we decide to stay, my husband will likely be a part of that decision, as it will likely be long term (at lease elementary school), and at that point it would be worth it for him to quit his job and join us.
    I relate to your friend. It will be very different this time, as I'll probably have less support from other ALT's than I did last time (no more invites to house parties when your plus 1 is only 5, I imagine!). But I have way more language and I have a greater ability to make Japanese friends. I still have many from my first stint, as well as former students from when I taught ESL here in Canada, so I think it will be fine. It will be a whole new experience though, that's for sure!!!

Pimpin wenches aint easy BeckyJones's Avatar

ex JET back doing private while I raise my kiddos ( at least until they are old enough to be moved). It actually isn't that bad. I am not a party animal by any stretch of the means, but I get to the city to see old coworkers/friends etc every now and then. Trust me, the JETs won't have anything to do with you, and you likely will want nothing to do with them as there is a huge age/maturity gap
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

2nd-time-attempt-er here,

I did JET back in the early 2000's, for 2 years. One of my big regrets from my experience, during that time in my life, was not putting more effort into studying/learning Japanese while I was there. I was much younger (I am 35 now), with much less foresight, and never imagined I would ever end up in Japan again or doing anything international-education related.

Now, lo, I find myself wanting to go back and I am interested in putting-right things. If I am accepted I intend to go whole-hog in committing myself to the language and stay the whole 5 years. I have a professional background in Volunteer Coordination and extensive experience working for non-profits. Part of my rationale for going back is that I really do think that Japan is going to need to make it easier for foreigner's to volunteer there, for the same reason that they will need to warm to the idea of more foreign workers outside the JET Program paradigm--especially in the area of healthcare and elder-care.

My notion is that allowing more volunteers into the country is a stepping-stone to normalizing the idea of allowing more foreign workers. I would argue (and will in my interview--well, not 'argue', persay ) that international-volunteer-programming is going to be critical for Japan's long-term internationalization needs.

I would love to work (with a CIR, since my Japanese will be horrid for quite a while) to promote volunteer-projects to the JETs, in the shorter term, as well as volunteer myself, of course.

What do you all think of these ideas? Do they seem in any way sensible, or a viable rationale to offer in an interview?

I do appreciate the absurd obstacles to all of this, logistically, bureaucratically, culturally, so no need to knock the rose-colored glasses off my nose.

Last edited by Abrahamandcheese; February 2nd, 2014 at 11:45.

Nice Abraham good luck. Be prepared to have them play the devils advocate and don't lose your cool. Let us know how it goes! There is a lack of info for 2nd timers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.