Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Using Japanese in an interview - Yes? No? Maybe? (Circle one)

Default Re: Using Japanese in an interview - Yes? No? Maybe? (Circle one)

If you were applying as a CIR, then of course using Japanese would be not only welcomed, but expected of you. But as an ALT applicant, don't use it unless they ask you. If you've written in your application that you know some Japanese, chances are they'll test you on it. And when I say "chances are", note that there are a few instances where they don't test people, despite them having listed that they speak Japanese.

My personal theory as to where your Japanese ability will affect you is when they (CLAIR and the BOE's) consider whether they want to send you to teach at elementary vs junior high or high school. Where I'm placed, you definitely need a good understanding of Japanese to teach at shogakko (elementary school).

This reminds me a of a guy who turned up on the official forums a year or so back and suggested he might wear a Japanese school uniform to the interview. I'd love to have been a fly on that wall...

Quote Originally Posted by mrcharisma View Post
    This reminds me a of a guy who turned up on the official forums a year or so back and suggested he might wear a Japanese school uniform to the interview. I'd love to have been a fly on that wall...
    How sure are you that he wasn't joking? He'd either have to be crazy or completely sheltered from the outside world. Maybe both.

Also, did you encourage him to go through with it? Did you guys tell him "yeah, that sounds like a great idea! It will go over really well with the interview panel."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

I can't remember the full details but unless he was very clever and subtle it didn't feel like a wind-up. He got plenty of responses and responded back with further questions.

I didn't respond to the thread. Sadly most others just ridiculed him instead of encouraging him.

Picturing a gaijin suited up in a JHS uniform walking in to the interview and shouting "失礼します、3年4君のスミス・トムです." Actually made me giggle.

Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

LOL. Third Year 4th you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    LOL. Third Year 4th you!
    Haha just as well

Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

I made a joke about using 失礼します during my Interac interview, but I wouldn't do it for a JET interview. It would give them another excuse to toss you into the otaku pile.

Quote Originally Posted by ihatefall View Post
    Picturing a gaijin suited up in a JHS uniform walking in to the interview and shouting "失礼します、3年4君のスミス・トムです." Actually made me giggle.
    ....I vaguely recall reading about someone actually doing that. Maybe I've been on the internet too long.
    Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Beaming down a rainbow into a San Francisco apparently inhabited exclusively by The Village People? It really says it all about Star Trek, imho.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcharisma View Post
    Oh, god; I totally remember that. I probably responded to it; I can't remember what I said, though. I hope I encouraged him.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Yeah, I remember the school uniform thing too. I thought it was an excellent idea... but only because I really wanted to hear how horribly it would crash and burn. It would be even better if the uniform was two sizes to small.
    rwar

Oh, that kid. He got in, by the way. Not sure if he wore that uniform or not, though.
    いいみで

If anyone didn't encourage him to do it, I would consider them to be terrible human beings... >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Teishou View Post
    Oh, that kid. He got in, by the way. Not sure if he wore that uniform or not, though.
    Damn, any way to find out? Or did he 'go native' after arriving?

I'm not certain. Benj, or whatever his name is, got into Kobe or something, I believe. He may have gone full JP for all anyone knows.
    いいみで

So the moral is, dress like a sex offender and get one of the programme's most sought-after placements!

It's important to show you can fit into Japanese society.

I got asked to read some stuff in hiragana during the middle of my interview and I had not read anything in the Japanese language since studying it about two years prior to my interview... so basically I ballsed it all up and actually thought I had blown all my chances of getting here at that point right there.... Apparently spluttering out nonsensical gibberish was enough to impress them all though, so maybe instead of ending with 「ありがとう」 try something like 「ありがらどようこうろもうそうどうぐ」 and you'll probably get the job.
    Last edited by kenkennif; March 10th, 2014 at 16:44.