Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Canadian job market: post-jet employment

Default The Canadian job market: post-jet employment

I figured that for some of us Canadians, our time is (soon to be) up on JET. Out of curiosity, where have you all been looking to for employment? What sort of industry do you want to work in?

Also, for those that have already made the journey back to Canada, where do you find yourself now with employment?

All general post-jet employment related posts welcomed. Try keeping it relevant to the thread title. Cheers

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Default Re: The Canadian job market: post-jet employment

I gotta be honest, I should be looking, but I haven't been. Jobs weren't all that hot for teachers before I left....
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Gizmo-
    I thought you were staying another year
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

I am. Gonna milk this money train for all it's worth. That doesn't mean I shouldn't be looking for work, especially given how hard it was to find before I left.

We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdes23 View Post
    I figured that for some of us Canadians, our time is (soon to be) up on JET. Out of curiosity, where have you all been looking to for employment? What sort of industry do you want to work in?

Also, for those that have already made the journey back to Canada, where do you find yourself now with employment?

All general post-jet employment related posts welcomed. Try keeping it relevant to the thread title. Cheers
    Unless you have a CELTA or an accredited TESL course with an offline in class component you won't find work teaching English in Canada that's going to pay you enough to survive. If you only have a degree your best decision would be to go back to school and get a post-bacc. [This is based on the assumption that you don't have a degree in education] If you have a degree in teaching, the market really depends on what and where you want to be teaching. If your decision is to come back to Canada to teach at a high school, you're better off staying in Japan and teaching English, same pay WAY less hours and work load, in some cases you're getting more pay if you're able to find time to teach on the side.

Accredited TESL course means recognized by TESL Canada, or your provincial board. Also remember that provincial boards have slightly looser standards than the TESL Canada standard (In that you can train with any accredited ESL teacher, vs TESL Canada must have training with another TESL Canada certified teacher).

Keep in mind you can only stay teaching in Japan at SHS level by teaching at city/private SHS. Teaching at prefectual schools is not allowed outside of our program due to the government rule that all national government employees must hold full Japanese Citizenship.

City level jobs you must be careful about because they will keep you on stupid year to year contracts. Your best bet is to find private schools where you can negotiate long term contracts, or full time employment with appropriate benefits (Which would be a good reason to go back home and start teaching if that's the case).

Quote Originally Posted by genkispirit View Post
    Unless you have a CELTA or an accredited TESL course with an offline in class component you won't find work teaching English in Canada that's going to pay you enough to survive. If you only have a degree your best decision would be to go back to school and get a post-bacc. [This is based on the assumption that you don't have a degree in education] If you have a degree in teaching, the market really depends on what and where you want to be teaching. If your decision is to come back to Canada to teach at a high school, you're better off staying in Japan and teaching English, same pay WAY less hours and work load, in some cases you're getting more pay if you're able to find time to teach on the side.
    I'm not exactly interested in teaching. My degree was in public administration, and to be honest, JET was primarily for the international relation, public service, and bureaucratic experience that it offers. Don't get me wrong though, I enjoyed teaching and the job overall.

I know that a lot of people want to continue down the teaching path. I'm wondering if there's anyone else that's considering to go down a different path? Business? Government? Marketing? Real estate? Accounting? International relations?
    Last edited by Kdes23; February 7th, 2014 at 12:21.

I'm going down the teaching first, or anything else for a buck... short of suck.

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

Im not Canadian, guess you get that from my avatar.... But I work in International Educaiton/ Student Recruiting for an independent, catholic boys school. On many of the recruiting trips I have been on around the world over the last few years I have met many representatives from Canadian Boarding Schools as well as reps from pubic school districts out recruiting international students to help fill declining enrollments as well as the more honorable "globalizing" of one's school.

These positions are also very prevalant among universities all over North America.

Another aspect of international educaiton that I looked into was Study Away/Study Abroad. There are still 10s of thousands of NA students studying abroad each year and they need advisors and coordinators, and chaperones on short term programs.

I am really loving what I am doing and actually typing this from my hotel room in Shanghai (after brief trips to Seoul, Bussan, Tokyo and Osaka at the beginning of this recruiting trip)

Good luck.
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

Quote Originally Posted by Kdes23 View Post
    I'm not exactly interested in teaching. My degree was in public administration, and to be honest, JET was primarily for the international relation, public service, and bureaucratic experience that it offers. Don't get me wrong though, I enjoyed teaching and the job overall.

I know that a lot of people want to continue down the teaching path. I'm wondering if there's anyone else that's considering to go down a different path? Business? Government? Marketing? Real estate? Accounting? International relations?
    I have zero desire to go into teaching post-JET. It's been great, I guess, but my time with teaching is up.

I've been accepted to an MSW (Master of Social Work) program and I'll be attending come September. I'm hoping to focus on communities, policy, and planning (I think).

Quote Originally Posted by semicolon View Post
    I have zero desire to go into teaching post-JET. It's been great, I guess, but my time with teaching is up.

I've been accepted to an MSW (Master of Social Work) program and I'll be attending come September. I'm hoping to focus on communities, policy, and planning (I think).
    There are a lot of opportunities on the JET program to do work related to your MSW, assuming they were available in your prefecture. Great ways to use an otherwise unrelated job towards your future career!

For those of you doing the teaching thing which provinces are you certified to teach in? I ask because I can't remember how the regulations work with teachers moving from province to province. I do know that if you don't mind moving back to Canada and living in the country there is a lot of work in Saskatchewan.

I can't answer for ba certification, but I understand it's not difficult, other than the seniority thing when you change from union to union.

I am ESL certified for any federally funded program which makes it much easier as my certificates transfer without problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    There are a lot of opportunities on the JET program to do work related to your MSW, assuming they were available in your prefecture. Great ways to use an otherwise unrelated job towards your future career!
    Absolutely! I'm quite confident that my time here in Japan helped make my application stronger. It's all about taking experiences that might not sound especially relevant and paring them down into skills that you've been able to hone or learn.

I'm really looking forward to the program. My mother and grandmother are both social workers (albeit in different fields than I'm interested in), and I've kind of always known that this would be the direction I'd head in eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by jacklostinred View Post
    For those of you doing the teaching thing which provinces are you certified to teach in? I ask because I can't remember how the regulations work with teachers moving from province to province. I do know that if you don't mind moving back to Canada and living in the country there is a lot of work in Saskatchewan.
    I have an Ed degree/interim teaching certification, and I know that Alberta and BC have a deal that if you're certified in one of the provinces, you can teach in the other without completing any additional coursework/certification. If you're willing to go to the territories I don't think it matters because they are so desperate. I also have a feeling you can transfer to Saskatchewan fairly easily. I know that it is harder for people with 4-year teaching degree to get certified to teach in Ontario because the system is so different, and I'm not too sure about Eastern provinces.

As for jobs, there are a TON in northern Alberta (mainly rural) that are fairly easy to obtain. There's even a program that will pay your tuition for a year or two if you agree to teach in the north for a few years (sorry can't remember the name).
    Last edited by Libellule; May 6th, 2014 at 11:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Libellule View Post
    I have an Ed degree/interim teaching certification, and I know that Alberta and BC have a deal that if you're certified in one of the provinces, you can teach in the other without completing any additional coursework/certification. If you're willing to go to the territories I don't think it matters because they are so desperate. I also have a feeling you can transfer to Saskatchewan fairly easily. I know that it is harder for people with 4-year teaching degree to get certified to teach in Ontario because the system is so different, and I'm not too sure about Eastern provinces.

As for jobs, there are a TON in northern Alberta (mainly rural) that are fairly easy to obtain. There's even a program that will pay your tuition for a year or two if you agree to teach in the north for a few years (sorry can't remember the name).
    That is basically what I was getting at. I grew up in northern Alberta and knew quite a few teachers who teach up there.

Quote Originally Posted by jacklostinred View Post
    The teaching market in Saskatchewan is non existent in the bigger cities (Regina, Saskatoon, etc.) FT-perm you will only get in the tiny out of the way rural communities. Good luck if you want to though!

Quote Originally Posted by athousandsmiles View Post
    Saskatoon

?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    ?

Yes, sadly, but hilariously, yes. Saskatchatoon = Saskatoon or Saskabush

I this this explains Saskatchewan better.