Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Plane Tickets

Default Plane Tickets

Okay this is going to seem like a dumb question, so I apologize in advance. I know if you are accepted into the program, JET pays for your plane tickets to Japan.

Now my father asked me this recently and I honestly could not answer him. I haven't found any mention of it anywhere so if you are a former JET, I'd love your input.

Does the JET program pay for your plane ticket home once your contract ends? Or do they offer any discounts for ticket purchases if you happened to want to go home briefly for the holidays? I know this is a really dumb question that I wish I didn't have to ask but I could find nothing about it. I'm pretty sure if I get into JET I'll be stuck in Japan for the entire time I decide to be there. I am a super broke substitute teacher. But if you have any inside knowledge, please let me know.

Default Re: Plane Tickets

You'll get a flight back to where you flew out of when you finish your contract.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Like Ini said, you get a flight home at the end of you contract. It is considered your final business trip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Unfortunately you don't get a ticket home between contracts. You only get one when you decide to go home for good. If you want to go home for the holidays or during the summer break, you'll have to save up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

There are some travel companies (in Japan) that will give "JET discounts" though. It's not much and you can usually find better deals shopping on your own.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lianwen View Post
    I am a competent, semifunctioning adult of modest landwhale proportions.
    how many more threads in which BJ declares his love for lianwen do we need?

Default Plane Tickets

Quote Originally Posted by HorseFeathers View Post
    I'm pretty sure if I get into JET I'll be stuck in Japan for the entire time I decide to be there. I am a super broke substitute teacher.
    Unless you have massively crippling debt you can absolutely afford to buy a flight home once a year on a JET salary.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Do you understand that when you get a new job your salary changes? Unless you have massively crippling debt you can absolutely afford to buy a flight home once a year on a JET salary.
    The new pay scale and taxes might make that rougher for newbies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Default Plane Tickets

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    The taxes for first year jets are negligible. The resident taxes eat up most of your raise, but it shod be even more affordable the next year. That is, unless I'm missing something.

Last edited by johnny; February 3rd, 2014 at 12:08.
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    Not that much rougher unless he wants to go home in the very first vacation he gets.

I've been home every year and I spend my money like crazy. And I have a fair amount saved up. If you don't have anyone to support your pay goes a long way.

I was able to go home over the summer, and I'm not even a JET. If I can do it on 15万 a month after bills, you can do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Beaming down a rainbow into a San Francisco apparently inhabited exclusively by The Village People? It really says it all about Star Trek, imho.

This is all very encouraging guys. Thank you for your input!

I don't have anyone to support but I also have never lived independently before. My Dad is hoping that if I live overseas and save my money I might actually be able to afford continuing to live independently when I return to the states. Hence him wanting me to stay in Japan the entire time I'm there to save money. But it's nice to hear that people were able to comfortably come home at least once a year. That's all I'd want. One big trip back once a year Especially if I plan to stay there longer than just a year or so.

I usually travel back one a year and have still had money to do some traveling in Asia. You'll be fine!

if you can only afford one trip a year why waste it on going back somewhere you have already been? go somewhere new. expand your horizons maaaaan
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by HorseFeathers View Post
    This is all very encouraging guys. Thank you for your input!

I don't have anyone to support but I also have never lived independently before. My Dad is hoping that if I live overseas and save my money I might actually be able to afford continuing to live independently when I return to the states. Hence him wanting me to stay in Japan the entire time I'm there to save money. But it's nice to hear that people were able to comfortably come home at least once a year. That's all I'd want. One big trip back once a year Especially if I plan to stay there longer than just a year or so.
    If you mind your dollars and cents you should be just fine. Life out here can be cheap if you're smart.

Good luck to you!

if you can only afford one trip a year why waste it on going back somewhere you have already been? go somewhere new. expand your horizons maaaaan
    I see your point about using JET as an opportunity to see more than just Japan, but I have to admit that I get a little homesick myself. It'd be hard for me to go two years without seeing my family and friends. I'm really happy in Japan, but I am looking forward to seeing Vancouver for a few days.

That said I am going to Busan and Seoul next month!

Default Plane Tickets

Guilty as charged. I love my parents and brothers (aunts, uncles and cousins too). At least enough to want to see them every year.

Last edited by johnny; February 4th, 2014 at 08:47.

Please don't be that person who goes back yearly. They make the most boring people, especially given how much cheaper it is to travel to other places than home. Hell, blow the same amount of money travelling around Japan, it's worth it more. You will see these people again shortly anyways. a year or two won't kill ya.

We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Please don't be that person who goes back yearly. They make the most boring people, especially given how much cheaper it is to travel to other places than home. Hell, blow the same amount of money travelling around Japan, it's worth it more. You will see these people again shortly anyways. a year or two won't kill ya.
    Oh god, no. Who the fuck wants to travel with other ALTs? I can think of maybe two people who I wouldn't have to strangle after a few days. Home has turkey and proper beer.

Pff, I never suggested travelling with other ALTs. Just don't travel home.

And every other than Japan has proper beer. Therefore, visit those places