Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Soooo.....how was everyone's interview??

Default Re: Soooo.....how was everyone's interview??

Quote Originally Posted by nostos View Post
    I was in Toronto on the last day, at the last time slot (3:15 - judging by the fact that the registration room was dark and empty when I left). My interview was supposed to be about 20 minutes; ran for more like 30. There were 2 or 3 other people interviewing at that time. I was surprised how empty it was! Oh, and my interview room was empty when I got there. Not sure if that's standard (maybe they schedule more time for interviews, but only use 20 mins) or if it was just because I was the last of the day and things were slow.

Somewhat unrelated - did anyone else have an interview panel of only 2 people? Mine was just 2 Japanese guys. Kind of threw me off. I also wasn't given the chance to ask questions at the end, which is making me nervous. I didn't even realize at the time, I was probably too shell-shocked haha.
    Likewise, I had two Japanese gentlemen. Maybe for Toronto there was no former JET used in the panel this year?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    They're gonna burn you inside a giant wicker anpanman.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Ummm

My year, there were 2 or 3 days of interviews at my embassy. Each day appeared to have atleast 2 or 3 panels going concurrently, with interviews scheduled every half hour. Lets go with the worse case scenario, 8*.5, 16*3, 48*3, 144. 20 people when from Ottawa.

There's "some" math for your participants. Keep in mind, afaik participants is not based out of the embassy in question but out of the country as a whole. The only time the embassy picks the follow ups is when a candidate from that embassy drops out of the program near the end, and an upgrade is required from their list of worthy candidates.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

I haven't had my interview yet. Going to Miami tomorrow and going in Monday morning. I have zero Japanese experience. Bracing for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by PoorYorick View Post
    I haven't had my interview yet. Going to Miami tomorrow and going in Monday morning. I have zero Japanese experience. Bracing for the worst.
    I had no experience either. So long as you didn't say otherwise on your application, you should be fine. You'll feel a bit inferior in the waiting room talking to other applicants; but that's inevitable no matter your experience. Don't sweat it too much. Take deep breaths and smile, and you'll be fine.

How often would a candidate have 4 people on an interview panel? I had the Japanese consul, 2 professors of Japanese/Asian studies, and the ex-JET. I thought that was unusual because the impression given about all the submitted application materials is that 3 people would review it to then interview the potential candidate. I know I did well because of the number of times the consul and professors kept nodding approvingly at my answers, even during the Japanese speaking test (I marked introductory for both speaking and listening on my application). The ex-JET did the role of bad cop, a role I could see was not that person's natural disposition, but I suppose it had to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by nostos View Post
    I was in Toronto on the last day, at the last time slot (3:15 - judging by the fact that the registration room was dark and empty when I left). My interview was supposed to be about 20 minutes; ran for more like 30. There were 2 or 3 other people interviewing at that time. I was surprised how empty it was! Oh, and my interview room was empty when I got there. Not sure if that's standard (maybe they schedule more time for interviews, but only use 20 mins) or if it was just because I was the last of the day and things were slow.

Somewhat unrelated - did anyone else have an interview panel of only 2 people? Mine was just 2 Japanese guys. Kind of threw me off. I also wasn't given the chance to ask questions at the end, which is making me nervous. I didn't even realize at the time, I was probably too shell-shocked haha.
    I had the two guys as well. How did u find them? Seemed friendly and easy going for me but the Japanese guy was tired or really out of it. They never left room for questions for me either.
    Last edited by Sl10; February 23rd, 2014 at 19:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Sl10 View Post
    I had the two guys as well. How did u find them? Seemed friendly and easy going for me but the Japanese guy was tired or really out of it. They never left room for questions for me either.
    Yeah, I don't think the one guy had very much knowledge of English, so he was quiet most of the interview until he did the Japanese test for me. I felt okay though, they seemed friendly enough and encouraging. There were no real tough questions or good cop-bad cop. Pretty much just like a normal interview.

Mine was also done by 2 guys, a former JET and a Japanese dude. It was rather straightforward, which actually threw me off guard as I prepared for the worst. At the end there was a mock lesson and Japanese test, anyone lack one or both? Also, my time slot was right before lunch, and they didnt ask if I had any questions for them, until I brought it up in the very end. Does anyone smell rejection already??? lol

Quote Originally Posted by tiger_claw448 View Post
    Mine was also done by 2 guys, a former JET and a Japanese dude. It was rather straightforward, which actually threw me off guard as I prepared for the worst. At the end there was a mock lesson and Japanese test, anyone lack one or both? Also, my time slot was right before lunch, and they didnt ask if I had any questions for them, until I brought it up in the very end. Does anyone smell rejection already??? lol
    Nah, but they probably did smell lunch...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    well now I feel bad....
    And now we just wait for the world to end...

Well, I didn't get asked if I had any questions either. I have encountered a few other people that experienced the same thing this year. So, either it is more common this year, or none of us are getting in and this is a sign of our rapidly impending DOOM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    They're gonna burn you inside a giant wicker anpanman.

Quote Originally Posted by spman2099 View Post
    Well, I didn't get asked if I had any questions either. I have encountered a few other people that experienced the same thing this year. So, either it is more common this year, or none of us are getting in and this is a sign of our rapidly impending DOOM.
    I interviewed in Calgary and they asked me if I had any questions...... Eh, maybe it's just Toronto! Was anyone else asked to reconfirm their medical and criminal history and/or asked what level they would prefer to teach?

Quote Originally Posted by Coolmanio View Post
    Was anyone else asked to reconfirm their medical and criminal history and/or asked what level they would prefer to teach?
    Yes, asked to reconfirm that stuff but I was in Texas not Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolmanio View Post
    I interviewed in Calgary and they asked me if I had any questions...... Eh, maybe it's just Toronto! Was anyone else asked to reconfirm their medical and criminal history and/or asked what level they would prefer to teach?
    Oh wait, we did have to reconfirm all that stuff before actually going to the interview (through email).
    Last edited by LaVie; February 27th, 2014 at 00:11.
    Alternate - Washington DC

I interviewed in Toronto on the first day with a Japanese guy and a female ex-JET from Australia. I did the mock lesson (which I fucked up royally) & Japanese test. My time slot was also right before lunch (it was sort of creepy when I left because the registration room door was closed and the hallways were deserted lol), but I got asked if I had questions for them. I think it really just depends who you got on your panel.

I bumped into a random interviewee on my way out and I don't think she got asked if she had any questions.

During my time slot they interviewed 4 people. At least I only spoke with 4 people...

Quote Originally Posted by Wax4Alphonse View Post
    How often would a candidate have 4 people on an interview panel?
    The number of people on an interview panel and their positions (ex-JET, professor, diplomat, etc) just depend on how large the consulate/embassy is and how many people they have at their disposal.

So I'm guessing that if there were four to a panel they had a surplus of extra people? I only had the standard three at mine.

-
    Last edited by PoorYorick; February 27th, 2014 at 14:38.

Had my interview in SF on Friday at 11. The odd thing before even starting my interview was that I was the only guy there, there rest were ladies (about 15?). Just an odd observation.

My interview I thought went well enough until they asked me what grade level I wanted to teach, I said any was fine but they looked like they wanted a definitive answer so I said elementary. Later on they asked me to demonstrate my level of Japanese knowledge and I completely froze and it did not go over well. That's when the main woman who was interviewing me asked the ex-JET that I said elementary for what I wanted to teach and then responded that she thinks that it would be better to have someone who was more proficient at Japanese teaching such young children. Otherwise the interview went about as expected, no left field questions mostly standard stuff. They did keep asking how I would do if placed in the rural side, kept returning to this about 3 or 4 different times so perhaps if I do get in it will be way out in the boonies.

One thing I was happy about was making them laugh early in the interview, also the main woman interviewing me had a coughing fit right in the middle of the interview and had to step outside. Overall not really sure how it went because when I stepped outside I looked at my phone and only 15 minutes had passed, even the greeters looked surprised to see me out so quickly.

Also does anyone here have experience with early departure? I applied for it and have all my paperwork in but wasn't sure if it would hurt or help my chances.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Early departure will not help or hurt your chances at all.

In my prefecture in Japan, there are more women than men ALTs.

The rural question often comes up like that if you come from a relatively large and or convenient city. Japanese rural can be very.... nowhere. Many ALTs can't hack it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Early departure will not help or hurt your chances at all.

In my prefecture in Japan, there are more women than men ALTs.

The rural question often comes up like that if you come from a relatively large and or convenient city. Japanese rural can be very.... nowhere. Many ALTs can't hack it.
    Yeah dude, I could see that as being really, really hard for someone with experience living abroad, let alone someone who hasn't any experience living abroad.

I think I would find it really difficult. I live in a town of 55,000, but we have about 210,000 in the area. We have any core Western stuff you would want to survive plus other Westerners. I think it would be hard to thrive without that stuff.