Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Soooo.....how was everyone's interview??

Default Re: Soooo.....how was everyone's interview??

Quote Originally Posted by LaVie View Post
    Certain things that come up in the interview are a given, so there's really no concern (or at least there shouldn't be) in discussing them. I think what they don't want are things like calling out interviewers by name or any other personal details, or details pertaining to any mock lessons given, or more specific and nuanced questions that may have come up during the interview.
    Yeah I agree. And I got confirmation from miamicoordinator that I'm fine! Apparently I'm very behind in seeing responses ><

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    I wouldn't worry too much. It's not as if any of you said one of the panelists was a grey haired old twat.

yo mike - just for men - make it happen.
    Haha! Come on now! I've been gray since 13, I am so over just for men. Been there done that, not going back.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    I edited my quotation. That will be 50 bitcoins, please.
    The future of bitcoin speculation might be over anyway.

Mt.Gox site disappears, Bitcoin future in doubt - Feb. 25, 2014

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    rwar

Maybe I have my information mixed up, but isn't there a coordinator that's applying for jet this year? Could have sworn I heard that somewhere....
    Last edited by itsabird; February 27th, 2014 at 03:43.
    ⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa

I tried to be careful not to mention any questions or specifics about my interview. But now I wonder if I said too much.

Quote Originally Posted by HorseFeathers View Post
    I tried to be careful not to mention any questions or specifics about my interview. But now I wonder if I said too much.
    We're all probably thinking that now lol.
    ⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa

Quote Originally Posted by itsabird View Post
    We're all probably thinking that now lol.
    Unless any of you posted about how you're going to Nippon looking for a55, you're all fine. Just remember that anonymity is best.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Oh boy I sure do hope to find some donkeys in Japan.

At first I didn't get what a55 was and thought it might be either some legal jargon or some sort of visa type thing and then it hit me.

Quote Originally Posted by flapjack21 View Post

At first I didn't get what a55 was and thought it might be either some legal jargon or some sort of visa type thing and then it hit me.
    Nothing quite like getting hit by some a55, amiright?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

I was in the same boat until I read your reply. Clever numbers to replace letter. Who woulda-thunked-it.

I wonder when we'll exactly hear back. I heard that last year people started hearing back on April 1st, but that it also depends on the consulate. I hope I hear good news from Chicago next month!

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Last year, America was the slowest. It all depends how long it takes to disseminate the information from the primary source to the various embassies and how long it takes for them to get sorted. Australia is usually first as they have the least amour of administration to deal with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by kbui View Post
    I wonder when we'll exactly hear back. I heard that last year people started hearing back on April 1st, but that it also depends on the consulate. I hope I hear good news from Chicago next month!
    Not even us coordinators have an exact date unfortunately.

Since the majority of jets come from the u.s., it does take some time for the contracting organizations to pick who they want and for clair to know how many spaces are available.

We nornally find out by the end of march or first week of april.

Trust me when i tell you that we are just as anxious to see our numbers for the upcoming year.

Can someone correct me if I don't understand this correctly? The panel who interviewed us will either recommend or not recommend us for the program. This information will then be sent to Tokyo where a decision will be made based on the recommendation and on the application. It seems like if you are recommended by the panel, your application has high marks, and there is room, you will be offered a position. If you are not recommended by the panel then it is pretty safe to say you will not be offered a position. Is there any reason why we can't be made aware of the status of our interview when it is sent to Tokyo? It seems like that would make this process of waiting much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutthroat-finch View Post
    Can someone correct me if I don't understand this correctly? The panel who interviewed us will either recommend or not recommend us for the program. This information will then be sent to Tokyo where a decision will be made based on the recommendation and on the application. It seems like if you are recommended by the panel, your application has high marks, and there is room, you will be offered a position. If you are not recommended by the panel then it is pretty safe to say you will not be offered a position. Is there any reason why we can't be made aware of the status of our interview when it is sent to Tokyo? It seems like that would make this process of waiting much easier.
    Well there's those of us recommended and not. Within that list of recommended people, there are rankings. At the same time though, things like having a drivers license, having experience with disabled people, or just any unique assets that you hold, can override where you rank on this list. You're right though, the list is sent to CLAIR in Tokyo. The Board of Education (BOE) offices and the Prefectural offices (PO) collaborate with CLAIR. The BOEs and POs select who they want, and tell CLAIR, and then CLAIR tells the embassy or consulate.

Why can't we be notified of our status? I think it has something to do with the due date for ALT's to tell their BOE/PO if they'll be re-contracting.

They're also dealing with thousands of ALTs and potential ALTs; there's a lot going on. Besides, you're talking about Japanese bureaucracy. Your average oak tree moves significantly faster. It's actually impressive that they're able to get it all done as quickly as they do.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Kdes and word have shared some good information, but i will shed a little more light on this subject.

For the most part, you are right cutthroat finch, each panel will score each applicant on a point based system. After we are.done interviewing everyone, we organize applicants into one master list and this is sent to tokyo. There are obviously people with high marks, middle marks, and low marks. The problem is the following.

Just because you have high marks does, it does not guarantee you will be selected and lower or middle marks is not a death sentence either. I will explain further.

Lets say my consulate interviewed 50 people this year(not the real number). Out of those 50, lets say we are not recommending 5 of them. That leaves us with 45 people we are recommending. Now the problem is, not even we have the exact number of people who will be short listed this year. We can only go by how many people were sent from our location in previous years.

So lets say last year we sent 25 people, and the year before that we sent 15 (remember how many people we send depends on openings in the program, so it varies every year). Then the issue becomes how many people will be short listed this year? 25 again? Or 15 like the year before? Or maybe we will only get 10, or as high are 35. We really do not know, so we make our recommendation list as good as we can hoping our top picks make it in, but again, there is no guarantee.

So back to our hypothetical number of 45 people recommended. Sure, we can most likely safely say the first 10 people on the list will be shortlisted, but what of the other 35? Many of them might be short listed as well if we get a high number of participants. Or none of them may be short listed if we get a small number. The point is we do not know. That is why we are honestly cannot tell people anything until we receive the list for ourselves. It would be unfair to the other 35 applicants if we told the first 10 they were going already. Unless everyone knows their place(as an alternate or short lister) we cannot disclose that information.

Another issue is that just because you are at the top of the list, it does not mean 100% placement either. If you have some medical condition where you need to be near a hospital and no placements are available to fit your needs, you may not be short listed even though you were a top pick.

I agree, knowing your ranking would make it easier for people if they knew they wete at the top of the list, but it would be even more nerveracking for those in the middle area who have the posibility of either being an alternate or shortlisted. Out of fairness for everyone, we do not disclose this information until we can give everyone a definitive answer.

Sorry this is so long, but i hope it is clear why we cannot just tell people whether or jot they will be able to go at this stage of the selection process.

Thank for your the information miamicoordinator! Your explanation really helps to understand how the process works.

So I just found out today that I was selected for early departure and will be leaving April 8th. Apparently I'm going to be located way down in Nagasaki Prefecture. I was wondering if we could start a thread about what advice people had on packing.

So I just found out today that I was selected for early departure and will be leaving April 8th. Apparently I'm going to be located way down in Nagasaki Prefecture. I was wondering if we could start a thread about what advice people had on packing.
    Why don't you make it :P

Oh, and congratulations!