Thread: (Another) Pension Issue

Middle of Wheat field USA --> Middle of Rice field Japan-->Middle of Cornfield, USA

Default (Another) Pension Issue

Hi Everyone. Sorry to add another one of these threads, but I'm sort of at my wits end.

It has been over 2 years since I received my lump sum payment. (October of 2011.) I did not receive anything about the tax refund for some time. My tax representative was the BoE JET handler for the city. In March 2012, I started writing her, asking if she knew what was up. We’ve had a lot of back and forth, and she has assured me all the forms are correct, and that she has been in contact with the tax office and everything is in and is being processed.

My concern is she received the money and just isn’t sending it. In August of 2012, she seemed to imply that she had received the money and was planning on sending it. But soon she started putting it off, and then claimed I had done something wrong, and has now completely stopped responding to my messages.
    I don’t know what to do. She was the BoE employee, and is who I was told to use for this. It has now been years. I don’t even know anyone who still works in that office.

I don't know where to go from here. Any advice?
    Numbers and colors are my bread and butter

Default Re: (Another) Pension Issue

Is there a chance that she doesn't work for the BOE anymore? It might be better to google the BOE to get their fax/email information and send a letter directed to the current ALT supervisor explaining your situation.

Yeah, if she got the money and still hasn't sent it to you you should get in contact with the Board of Education. It's probably best just to call because emails are so much easier to ignore. What was she claiming that you did wrong?

Middle of Wheat field USA --> Middle of Rice field Japan-->Middle of Cornfield, USA

She is currently saying I never sent in the tax forms (which I never received.) But at one point she said she had the money and would send it next week, and then said 'oh, never mind, I was wrong.'

She was only hired at the BoE about 4 months before I left. She is still working with JETs, so I assumed it was for the same position...
    Numbers and colors are my bread and butter

Can you show her the previous message she sent you in which she said that everything was correct and being processed? It sounds like she screwed up somehow and knows it and is just trying to play it off/hoping you'll give up.

How complicated is the tax refund process after having left Japan and got the pension refund? How much realistically do you get back for a 3-year stint?
    I thought it was time to use a sig

It was about $1200 when I did it for a certain sauce-y ALT that went home (after 3 years). It's not that complicated as it mostly involves taking the forms to the city tax office and having the official do the forms for you (I just filled in the address/name/my bank account bits).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

Does it have to be done in a certain municipality or by a certain person?
    I thought it was time to use a sig

Looking up the handbook, it appears that a 3 year JET stint should get you back 840,000 yen, but it doesn't make this clear if the tax refund is included in, or in addition to that amount. I think it's included but can anyone confirm?

Also, from people who've left this prefecture I've heard wildly varying stories about how long the pension refund takes, from a few weeks to over a year. Is there any way to influence this and make the process quicker?

Last place you lived by anyone I think
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

I thought the pension system was run nationally? Also, Mr. Charisma, that number should include the tax refund component, because technically you get that ALL back, they tax it, then you apply for the stupid tax rebate afterwards.

Which makes soo much sense given it's a system for people living out of country in the first place.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    I thought the pension system was run nationally? Also, Mr. Charisma, that number should include the tax refund component, because technically you get that ALL back, they tax it, then you apply for the stupid tax rebate afterwards.

Which makes soo much sense given it's a system for people living out of country in the first place.....
    I'd say something about Japan being Japan, but to be honest, there isn't a single government in the world that likes handing money back once they've got hold of it. Making it difficult is part of the game.
    ...because Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by MJN View Post
    How complicated is the tax refund process after having left Japan and got the pension refund? How much realistically do you get back for a 3-year stint?
    It is not at all difficult if you are literate and willing to check your paperwork 2 or 3 times before mailing. If you actually read an online guide/listen at your prefecture's seminar for returners, rather than freaking out because NUMBERS ARE HARD, then you will be totally fine.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcharisma View Post
    Looking up the handbook, it appears that a 3 year JET stint should get you back 840,000 yen, but it doesn't make this clear if the tax refund is included in, or in addition to that amount. I think it's included but can anyone confirm?

Also, from people who've left this prefecture I've heard wildly varying stories about how long the pension refund takes, from a few weeks to over a year. Is there any way to influence this and make the process quicker?
    You will receive the first 80% (¥672,000) of your refund as a lump sum and you will have to apply separately to receive the 20% tax. There is nothing you can do to speed up the process except fill out your papers correctly, stay in touch with your tax representative after you've sent the second round of paperwork, cross your fingers and do a prayer dance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    time spent? because RL has such a hard time juggling her hectic schedule? Between her high pressure job and loving boyfriend I'm supprised she has time to post here at all.....