Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Key money? Subsidized rent? What is your personal experience?

Default Key money? Subsidized rent? What is your personal experience?

So, this is something I am super curious about. I recently read that in the late eighties only about thirty five percent of JETs paid key money. I wonder if this is still the case. Did any of you pay key money? Also, it appears that around twenty five percent of applicants received subsidized rent. Once again, I am curious if anyone here has received this boon.

In general, I am curious how much everyone pays in rent. Any information would be appreciated. Cheers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    They're gonna burn you inside a giant wicker anpanman.

Default Re: Key money? Subsidized rent? What is your personal experience?

First CO- no key money, no subsidized rent, but I got transportation money, rent was 45,000 per month for a 1DK in a crappy building. At least it was right next to a supermarket.
    Second CO (I switched from a city BOE to prefecture BOE)- no key money, partially subsidized rent, no transportation money (except for business trips). Rent was 28,000 per month after the subsidies for a 1K in a somewhat decent building. Both of my JET apartments were within a 10 minute walk of a train station.
    Currently a private school ALT in the same city. I had to get my own place myself, so I had to pay key money and agent fees and whatnot, but my school doesn't care where I live. I live in a 2DK for 48,000 per month, which includes parking. I also live farther away from the city center than I used to since I got my license and a car. Rent is way cheaper out here, even though I'm only 2km or so from the main part of town.

First house - No key money, no deposit, 1.4man/mo for a modern apartment. It was a bit larger than a prison cell; 8-tatami room, miniature kitchen, bathroom, toilet-room, and entryway. Location: ultra inaka--40min. drive from nearest combini.

Second house - No key money, 3man deposit, 2.9man/mo for a very modern, rather large (by Japanese standards) house; 8-tatami room, massive central room, semi-decent kitchen, large den, loft, bathroom, toilet, small back porch, yard big enough for gardening and multiple vehicles. Location: ultra-inaka--40min. drive from nearest combini (they just recently finished constructing a new one, though, "only" about 25-30min. away).

Current (third) house - No key money, no deposit, 3man/mo for an enormous farmhouse "compound" of sorts; 1 modern "wing" with bathroom+toilet room, small kitchenette, bedroom; older farmhouse with four 8-tatami rooms, toilet room, bathroom, large traditional dining room (fire pit), large entryway, decent-sized kitchen (Japan doesn't know how to build a house with a proper kitchen; I've never seen a Japanese kitchen that was intelligently designed nor intended to be used by more than one person at a time), and some storage room; plus the "ancient" house (now used for storage); large traditional garden, "industrial" koi pond, space for vegetable gardening. Location: suburban inaka--nearest combini is within walking distance (~10min?). After living in the ultra-inaka for four years, it feels like the big city to us, but most people who live here consider it the inaka.

Never received subsidization for any of my housing costs. I did receive a small travel subsidy from one of my schools (45min drive, twice a week), though it barely covered the fuel costs involved. Not complaining about either, though; my second house was pretty nice, and my current house is f*cking glorious.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

No Key money, but I live in a box called the prefectual apartment building.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

JET apartment - no rent, key money, deposit or anything.

Post-JET self-funded apartment: 1 month Key money, Deposit, to rental agency, guarantor company...
    I thought it was time to use a sig

Tepco paid for everything.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

In my town where there were about 25 JETs, one had to pay key money, and we could never figure out if it was legit or if it was some kind of racket. We all paid a deposit to the city when we first got there, and now I can't remember how much it was - maybe 25,000, but most people received it back in full before leaving. Actually, when I left they told me that they were getting rid of the deposit for the next year.

Everyone hired by the city was given 30,000 yen per month for housing subsidy, but rents varied. Some people were paying nothing in rent, I paid about 37,500 a month. I lived close to my school, so no transportation subsidy.

Default Key money? Subsidized rent? What is your personal experience?

No key money for me, but I did have to pay a deposit of about 20,000 if I remember, plus some extra for gas or something.

My rent is about 46,000 for a 2DK apartment and I'm about 25 minutes from school by bike. I'm only like 5 minutes from the BOE and 10 from the station though so I guess that was the idea. I'm within a short bike ride from everything that isn't school essentially.
    Last edited by CannedCoffee; February 28th, 2014 at 09:13.

If you need to find a place to rent without problems, you might want to look into a UR apartment (Public Housing)

No Key Money, No Guarantor papers needed (Just a bank account)

Costs can vary depending on the area you live but they take a damage deposit (1 ~ 3 months rent) and return most of it to you if you have not damaged the place too much.

1DK 42,000 10 minutes from station. Paid 84,000 for damaged deposit and got back 82,500 back. They took off 1,500yen for some cooking oil on the wall.
    Last edited by jellois; February 28th, 2014 at 09:25.

I'm paying 88,000 a month (split between 2 people) for a 2LK 49m2 apartment with a parking space in the middle of nagoya, about a 10 min bike ride from Nagoya station.

Oh, sh*t; I didn't realize you were that close to me. I like Nagoya; I'm there pretty regularly. Someone on this forum once described Nagoya perfectly--an excellent place to live, but not really worth visiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

If you see a ginger gaijin arsing around Sakae or Osu just shout 'Autist' as loud as you can.

Yea, that does describe Nagoya well - nice place to live, it's a city with money, there is just nothing to do.

No key money, no rent for anyone in my city (because no one would willingly come here otherwise).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

I live in teacher's housing owned by my city. As far as I know, it's not subsidised because of JET, but is only 10,000/month for any teacher. I didn't pay any key money or a deposit. It's nothing luxurious, basically a bedroom, living room, and "kitchen", but it's plenty of room for me or to have a few friends over. I live 15-20 minutes away from my schools or the station by car.

No key money, I pay very little for a 3DK in the ultra inaka. About 20 minutes from my base school, about 15 from my visit elementary and about 15 minutes from my train station (all by bike, walking adds about 10 minutes onto all of these).

No rent, no key money, and free land line (that I never answer - everybody I know doesn't know its number or knows to call my cell anyways.) Next door to a grocery store and 10 minutes from both schools by bike. Although my town is pretty much an intersection.

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

40 quid rent after being subsidized, no key money, and my house is thirty seconds from the back gate of my base school. Conbini is a five minute cycle / fifteen minute walk, and if I push my unfit, wheezing carcass to the very limit of endurance I can reach a small supermarket in that same amount of time. Station isn't too far either.

No key money, no deposit, subsidized rent. I live in a pretty new fancy apartment (1LDK) and pay ¥11,400/month. My apartment is the nicest of the ALTs living in my city, though, so the others probably pay even less than me. It is pretty inconveniently located, though, being a 30 minute walk from the station, and a 30 minute drive from my schools.

No key money, no deposit. My rent is ¥50,000/month, but I get half that as a subsidy. I have a 1LDK (and the rooms themselves are pretty big), two minutes from my base school, 15 minutes from two different trainlines (even if both lines suck). Department store with food department five minutes away, and two supermarkets ten minutes away (they're more convenient than my nearest combini, ironically).
    ...because Japan.

It varies a lot. My friend in a neighboring town pays ¥3,000/m for a small, but modern and comfortable apartment. No key money, no deposit, and uber-subsidized. On the other hand, I live in the "downtown" area of a town of maybe 2,000 people. I have a 2 story, 3-bedroom house with kitchen, dining room, living room, and bath. My rent is ¥56,000/m, but because it's subsidized by the BOE, I only pay ¥28,000. No key money and no deposit. Downside to the big old house, is that the house is falling apart and infested with all sorts of critters. The location is convenient, because it's a five-10 minute walk to the ES and JHS, 15 minutes to the supermarket, and 20 minutes to the train station.