Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Key money? Subsidized rent? What is your personal experience?

Default Re: Key money? Subsidized rent? What is your personal experience?

I live in prefectural housing for teachers which is quite old, over 30 years, although it is quite large with 3 6 mat tatami rooms and a kitchen. I live in a small city which is an hour from the capital so most teachers commute in. I pay around 9,000円 a month + a water bill/Electricity bill for the building every 2 months which is around 10,000円. I didn't need to pay key money or a deposit but due to it's age and poor shape we have 20/24 units being used.

It's not a palace but I do love that it is cheap.

Regarding Keymoney and deposits in my prefecture the rule seems to be that the more inaka you are the cheaper the rent is. I even have a friend who doesn't pay rent by lives in a village 45 minutes from the nearest combini.

Unfortunately none of the Prefectural BOE positions in Hiroshima provide subsidized rent, though some people do live in much cheaper teacher housing.

I myself live in a mansion in a 1LDK (bedroom+living space) in the middle of downtown Hiroshima City. I had to wire over $3500 before my arrival in Japan for key money and first two months rent. My rent is 60,000 yen per month. Completely worth it for the location and apartment.

I live in an apartment block about a mile from my BOE. My rent is 50,000 yen a month, of which my BOE pays half. There was no deposit, but they made me cough up 50,000 yen for key money. For my monies, I get a 2LDK (6 mat tatami room, living/ dining room/ kitchen, other room) and a parking space. It's a nice new building in a convenient location (tho tbh my town is small enough that more or less everything is within walking distance).

In my area, the prefecture ALTs live in official housing and don't pay any rent/ key money/ deposit at all, but municipal ALTs are put in ordinary apartment buildings and pay all/ most of the fees out of their own pockets (we usually get subsidies). Location (rural/urban) doesn't seem to have much impact- but obvs that's just where I live.
    ES and JHS ALT