Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Packing for Japan

Default Re: Packing for Japan

That's what I assumed, chances of HD being searched is really low. It's kind of surprising the customs at Narita don't interrogate/search more people given how little they have to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    That's what I assumed, chances of HD being searched is really low. It's kind of surprising the customs at Narita don't interrogate/search more people given how little they have to do.
    This, of course, is the reason they don't search more people. Why make work for themselves?
    ...because Japan.

Things I'm glad I brought:

- Pain killers
    - My favorite tooth paste
    - My favorite shower gel
    - My favorite deodorant
    - Sun screen
    - Glasses (If you're not Asian or you don't have a flat nose, definitely get your glasses back home)
    - Credit Card (People say you don't new them because Japan is cash based. When it comes to ordering stuff online though, it's useful. Getting a Japanese CC is near impossible and/or a pain in the ass for a foreigner)
    Last edited by Kdes23; March 14th, 2014 at 13:35.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kdes23 View Post
    - Glasses (If you're not Asian or you don't have a flat nose, definitely get your glasses back home)
    ?????? how big is your nose?

Things I'm glad I brought:
    - Credit Card (People say you don't new them because Japan is cash based. When it comes to ordering stuff online though, it's useful. Getting a Japanese CC is near impossible and/or a pain in the ass for a foreigner)
    Totally dude, there are many products you can't buy on Amazon JP (e.g. Coffee and booze) unless you have a credit card. Also electronics stores and furniture stores will accept credit cards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    Totally dude, there are many products you can't buy on Amazon JP (e.g. Coffee and booze) unless you have a credit card.
    ???????
    you can buy coffee on amazon without a credit card

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    ???????
    you can buy coffee on amazon without a credit card
    Every time I order Starbucks on Amazon it says I cannot use the POD option. Do you order Starbucks coffee?

Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

- Pain killers
    Careful with this one. Some medications are illegal in Japan. Wouldn't wanna have an unpleasant incident at Customs...

People say this, but I found it remarkably easy to get a Japanese credit card; in fact, I got one on my first try. Come to think about it, I really ought to get a second one (I need another ETC card).

Also, you can always use a debit card; I use my USAA one here sometimes. However, using a credit card or debit card based in a foreign currency is almost always a bad idea because you're taking an exchange hit twice.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

How flat is yours?

How flat is yours?
    ?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

There couldnt be a more perfect picture to describe what's going on here.

Banned

I have no idea what POD is apart from a crappy nu-metal band. I've not found much on amazon you cant buy with either COD, convenience store payment or bank transfer.

my nose is about the same size as any normal big nosed foreigner and I have no trouble getting japanese glasses. I guess Weinstein over here must be blessed with the nose of gods chosen people.

I meant COD. Anyway, the only option Amazon gives me for purchasing Starbucks coffee beans is credit card.

Banned

so you are buying them from amazon marketplace then.

Banned

just checked, theres hundreds of sellers of starbucks coffee beans on amazon that accept convenience store payment. Maybe you should learn how to use amazon before you start ranting like a crazy person?

I knew enough to get my coffee beans.

Banned

so you struggled through not really knowing what you were doing, managed to half arse a solution you weren't really happy with then came on the internet and professed to be an expert on the issue? So pretty much like every JET on here in relation to every aspect of life in Japan?

Whaddafuk?

Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    Every time I order Starbucks on Amazon it says I cannot use the POD option. Do you order Starbucks coffee?
    Whaddafuk?

so you struggled through not really knowing what you were doing, managed to half arse a solution you weren't really happy with then came on the internet and professed to be an expert on the issue? So pretty much like every JET on here in relation to every aspect of life in Japan?
    I don't recall either claiming to be an expert or saying I was displeased with my solution.

Quote Originally Posted by coop52 View Post
    Birth control is widely available, but you might want to check if you need a particular brand.
    I was denied twice at the gynaecologist's. Didn't matter that I had a full pelvic exam done (asked the first time), and that I checked out fine (asked a second time) -- I didn't have a serious medical problem that would warrant such a powerful, risky drug, I was told, and so I was denied. I had already paid 3500Y, was made to further waste money on unrelated meds, visited a reputable women's clinic with female gynaecologists (as was my preference), and didn't want more poking and prodding at other clinics by men so I just gave up. It's better to get your yakkan shoumei sorted out at home before coming, in my opinion.