Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Packing for Japan

Default Re: Packing for Japan

Quote Originally Posted by project_4 View Post
    I was denied twice at the gynaecologist's. Didn't matter that I had a full pelvic exam done (asked the first time), and that I checked out fine (asked a second time) -- I didn't have a serious medical problem that would warrant such a powerful, risky drug, I was told, and so I was denied. I had already paid 3500Y, was made to further waste money on unrelated meds, visited a reputable women's clinic with female gynaecologists (as was my preference), and didn't want more poking and prodding at other clinics by men so I just gave up. It's better to get your yakkan shoumei sorted out at home before coming, in my opinion.
    You should bring some with you and be prepared to shop around. I never tried when I was in the inaka, but I know many who drove to the nearest (but not too near) big city, visited a recommended/foreign friendly clinic (yay google). You may have to go to a couple different clinics, or even travel a fair distance, but I know many who were successful. I also know many who had bad experiences.
    There are two things you will need to keep in mine. If you need the pills for health reasons, you will need to visit the clinic every month, and only be able to get one month at a time. It will be covered by insurance. If you are taking the pills for other purposes, you will not need to visit more than a few times a year for a physical, and you will be able to get (usually) three months at a time. It will not be covered by insurance, but shouldn't cost much more than under insurance with check ups included. Also depending on the policy of the clinic you may not even need to meet with the doctor when you pick up a refill.

If your home country offers the implant (In the UK its medical name is Nexiplan, but slang for it is 'the rod' 'the implant' or 'the stick', go for it. It lasts for 3 years, that chances of pregnancy are less than 1/10,000, and you have a 30% chance of not having a period at all in those 3 years. Most of my housemates are on for 3 days a year, although they don't get any warning of when it will happen.
    If you are being accepted now, then have it implanted NOW, as it takes about 2/3 months to settle into your system.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpinthefang View Post
    If your home country offers the implant (In the UK its medical name is Nexiplan, but slang for it is 'the rod' 'the implant' or 'the stick', go for it. It lasts for 3 years, that chances of pregnancy are less than 1/10,000, and you have a 30% chance of not having a period at all in those 3 years. Most of my housemates are on for 3 days a year, although they don't get any warning of when it will happen.
    If you are being accepted now, then have it implanted NOW, as it takes about 2/3 months to settle into your system.
    Interesting. We don't have "the rod" here in Canada. I opted for an IUD because my body can't tolerate birth control pills anyway. Also takes a few months to settle, and it's good for 5 years (copper) or
    10 years (hormonal).

Quote Originally Posted by Sarenka View Post
    Interesting. We don't have "the rod" here in Canada. I opted for an IUD because my body can't tolerate birth control pills anyway. Also takes a few months to settle, and it's good for 5 years (copper) or
    10 years (hormonal).
    I wish mine lasted for 10 years, would only need 3, instead of 10 of them through my life.

I wish mine lasted for 10 years, would only need 3, instead of 10 of them through my life.
    Yea they're tricky little buggers. Could just up and fall out in the first couple months. Not really cheap enough to be refitting them every few months...
    Short Listed: Halifax, Canada
    Placement: Yurihonjō, Akita-ken

Quote Originally Posted by Sarenka View Post
    Yea they're tricky little buggers. Could just up and fall out in the first couple months. Not really cheap enough to be refitting them every few months...
    Oh, the implant is a sub-dermal little cylinder that sits under the skin on the upper section of your non-dominant arm. Theres no chance of it falling out, however when your three years are up, you have to have it sliced out of you arm (but its only about 2cm long, so its a small cut)

Oh, the implant is a sub-dermal little cylinder that sits under the skin on the upper section of your non-dominant arm. Theres no chance of it falling out, however when your three years are up, you have to have it sliced out of you arm (but its only about 2cm long, so its a small cut)
    Oh whoops mine was in reference to the IUD haha, bit of a mix up in my understanding I think. Even if we did have the implant here in Canada, I wouldn't get it. I went through too much awful stuff after being on the pill for two years; no more hormonal stuff for me...
    Short Listed: Halifax, Canada
    Placement: Yurihonjō, Akita-ken

Banned

Any opinions on bringing over gaming systems?

I'm considering bringing my PS3 because the new Tales of game is being released later in the year.
    Last edited by Shelia; April 6th, 2014 at 12:10.
    2014 Short-listed, Sydney (≧∇≦)/ Yamaguchi-ken

Quote Originally Posted by greyjoy View Post
    I'm really curious about this as well. Was thinking of getting a 360 to play with my brother while I'm away to keep in touch and stuff. From seeing him play certain games (mostly FPS) that showed active players, there were always a solid representation shown on the map from Japan. Just not sure if I should be one in the states or over there...

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

Everyone be careful with region locked games. I know that with Nintendo3DS, the games you buy in Japan can only be played on a Japanese region 3DS. I am unsure on 360, or Ps3/4. I am sure some of the JETs there now can answer this better.

PS3's are not region locked. I bought my PS3 here in Japan at a recycle shop, and all of my games from Canada work just fine on it. I have been told there are some region locked games (though seen no evidence of it). If they do exist, they are pretty rare.

I'm not sure about the 360 or X-Box 1.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    PS3's are not region locked. I bought my PS3 here in Japan at a recycle shop, and all of my games from Canada work just fine on it. I have been told there are some region locked games (though seen no evidence of it). If they do exist, they are pretty rare.

On the 360 companies could choose whether or not to region lock. Maybe 60% of games are unlocked, I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post

They do exist, and I think there are a grand total of 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

I really don't know how people are able to pack any consoles in their luggage. If you have that much space, couldn't it be filled with something better? The 360, Xbone, PS3/4 all are heavy. If anything just bring over a handheld, you can probably find and pick up a console in Japan when you arrive. I only say this because I am currently packing and am having to remove things because my luggage is overweight. Sure two check-in bags plus a carry-on may seem like a lot of space but when you cram everything in, there isn't a whole lot of space left. If you do have the space kudos to you.

What is the luggage allowance? I haven't had a chance to look yet (I am a UK short-lister as well, so it may differ).

I was tempted to bring a console over, but I will likely sell mine before I go, and take my 3DS or Vita.

Failing that, I may just pick up a cheap 3DS in Japan. That way I won't need to import games from home.

Check the airline's website. Should be there.

You usually get the basic allowance for the airline you fly out with. For the UK, that will likely be one 23kg suitcase and one item of hand luggage.
    ...because Japan.

Banned

The weight issue is really one of the main reasons why I was curious. Those of you who bought used systems there, about how much did they cost?

The weight issue is really one of the main reasons why I was curious. Those of you who bought used systems there, about how much did they cost?
    Gosh, I'm pretty sure it was comfortably under 20,000 円 for my PS3. A used PS3 would almost definitely be even less than now that the PS4 has been released in Japan.

So if you have a PS3, I recommend you bring the games and leave the system. As others have stated, your games should work just fine. The PS4 is not that much cheaper used as compared to new. My local repair shop is selling them for 40,000 円.

As for the 360, I honestly don't know what they cost used.