Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Packing for Japan

Default Re: Packing for Japan

One thing I regretted taking to Japan for my study abroad was a hairdryer. Such a waste of suitcase space and it did NOT work. They're cheap enough in Japan so don't bring one!

Who does JET usually fly with? Obviously we don't know where we'll be placed yet but I'd quite like to bring my skis with me if I get my requested placement! From past experience, does anyone know if we can pay for extra luggage? -and 23kg doesn't seem an awful lot considering how long we'll be out there for?

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TomOmnomnom View Post
    Who does JET usually fly with? Obviously we don't know where we'll be placed yet but I'd quite like to bring my skis with me if I get my requested placement! From past experience, does anyone know if we can pay for extra luggage? -and 23kg doesn't seem an awful lot considering how long we'll be out there for?
    The airlines change year to year. What happens is every year, travel agencies in Japan put in bids for taking care of JET participants. Whoever gets the best bid, is the travel agency who is in charge for the year. Last year, it was Kintetsu, and Miami flew with American Airlines. This year NTA is in charge, and we do not have the flight itineraries yet.

Each airline has different luggage and weight restrictions, as well as extra luggage rules/prices. Its best to try and fit the essentials in one large suit case, and your carry on. That is all that is allowed at Tokyo Orientation. Any extra baggage will have to be shipped to your Contracting Organization at your expense from the airport/hotel. Its best to ship all your winter clothes(since they take up so much space) by boat to arrive sometime in October. No use taking it in August.

Quote Originally Posted by TomOmnomnom View Post
    I'd quite like to bring my skis with me if I get my requested placement! From past experience, does anyone know if we can pay for extra luggage? -and 23kg doesn't seem an awful lot considering how long we'll be out there for?
    Bringing your skis is a very bad idea. You'll have extra hassle at check-in and arrival, when the staff already have 100+ JETs to deal with. You'll either have to ship them from the airport to your placement (probably without an address to send them to) or take them to Tokyo Orientation (which will cause even more hassle and make you look like a complete dick).

As MiamiCoordinator said, ship winter things like clothing and skis out separately. Even if your parents sent them after you arrive in Japan (and have an address to ship them to), they'll still arrive in time for winter. Do this, and 23kg is fairly easy to handle. Personally, I found it was the volume that caused issues, not the weight.
    ...because Japan.

I agree with Antonath - ship it later. It should be cheaper too. At least one JET in my group brought a bike (boxed up of course) and hauling it through Narita with his other luggage was a royal pain, as he needed two carts to move his luggage and the bike. Everything else worked like a well-oiled machine.

Banned

I'm afraid of turning this thread into a giant laundry list of "should I bring this", but I'm really trying to pare down a decade worth of accumulated crap to essentials to keep in the states, and what I can bring with me. Moso, you said you shouldn't have brought your hairdryer, would that probably be the same for any basic household appliance? I was thinking of buying a travel steamer, but I think I read somewhere else here or at another forum that things like irons don't work at Japanese voltage.

Also, how about batteries? I've got a bunch of AAs and AAAs around. Bring them or give them away?

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Most electronics which aren't computers (or don't use a wall wart) are pretty much useless. Only things that can run at 50-60hz and 100-120v should be brought to Japan, and then only bring WHAT YOU ACTUALLY NEED.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Really, depending our your size, you should be focusing on clothing and shoes above all else. There are stores here that have larger sizes, like Uniqlo or ABC Mart, but they might not have everything you need or want.

If you have large feet, get your shoes sorted out before you leave. The stores here will not have your size. Keep in mind that you will need to wear indoor shoes while in your school, so bring an extra pair of shoes or sandals for that purpose too.

Next bring deodourant. Most everything else can be found in Japan without too much trouble.

Don't bother with books. Get an e-reader or a tablet. It will save you money on reading material and the pain of hauling around unnecessarily heavy suitcases. If you like reading actual books, there are thousands upon thousands of books offered on Amazon.jp. So, yeah, don't bring books.

Banned

I've got a fair selection of clothes and shoes, but I'm still pretty confident that I'll be able to compress it into one big suitcase. Even if that's overly optimistic, I'm still just looking to see what to work in around the edges. I don't doubt that a lot of stuff is easily available there, but I'd like to replace as little as possible if I have something serviceable here, and it fits. If I'm overflowing, I'll know what to pitch first.

I appreciate everybody's advice here.

Quote Originally Posted by greyjoy View Post
    I'm afraid of turning this thread into a giant laundry list of "should I bring this", but I'm really trying to pare down a decade worth of accumulated crap to essentials to keep in the states, and what I can bring with me. Moso, you said you shouldn't have brought your hairdryer, would that probably be the same for any basic household appliance? I was thinking of buying a travel steamer, but I think I read somewhere else here or at another forum that things like irons don't work at Japanese voltage.

Also, how about batteries? I've got a bunch of AAs and AAAs around. Bring them or give them away?
    I bought an iron at a local electronics store for around 2000 yen. I made sure to ask my supervisor where I could get one because I knew stuff from my suitcase would be wrinkled. She took me to the store herself. It works fine and there were a bunch of different brands to chose from. Same goes for steamers. I wouldn`t bring them- too much weight and you can get it here.
    Last edited by mmarief09; April 7th, 2014 at 14:28.
    2013 Shortlisted, D.C.
    ES/JHS ALT, Nagano.

Japan is a fully modern country and you can buy almost anything you'd possibly want quite easily when you get here. While I can certainly understand the desire to have everything you think you'll need from the get go, the reality is that apart from clothes (and even then only for the hugely proportioned. Almost all the clothes I currently own I bought in Japan, including shoes) there's very little you actually need to bring with you that you couldn't just buy here. Obviously that's no good if you don't have the cash but basically anything you can imagine living without for a month you might as well leave behind.

Though I can't speak to "feminine products".

I agree mostly with jiggit about clothes, but good lord if you're broad shouldered, tall, or have size 28cm feet, bring stuff from home. I can "buy" shoes in Japan, but my selection is damn small (unless I want expensive running shoes), and they aren't great quality or much to look at.

We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

My current shoes are either 14 or 15. That's what I mean by big feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Visvim sells size 10 and 11 shoes, np.
    You speka le giberish me firend!

Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    My current shoes are either 14 or 15. That's what I mean by big feet.
    Freak.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    You speka le giberish me firend!
    Visvim (a Japanese brand) sells US size 10 and 11 shoes. I'm not sure how I can make it much clearer.

Visvim (a Japanese brand) sells US size 10 and 11 shoes. I'm not sure how I can make it much clearer.
    Ahh, okay, this outlines another major problem in Japan. What might be in one major city/area is not in others. Best I have around here would be ABCMart, and their selection for more dress casual at high end is terrible.

14-15 is in the bring it and bring spares.

NP there's a webstore: https://shop.visvim.tv/jp/en/f2/
    Buying clothes online is one of those things I will never, ever, do. It's just not worth it unless I've tried it on in a store first.