Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The issue of.... size.

Default The issue of.... size.

I was wondering what JET's opinion of people of different sizes are. From the pictures I have seen, most people are average sized, height and weight wise. I know it is said that the interviewers do not take appearance cues into consideration when giving recommendations, but it is impossible for some external cues not to influence their decisions.

I just ask because I am 6'7". I made a joke or two about my height and the interviewers laughed and made their a joke as well, so I don't know if that was a good or bad thing. For those on the problem, are there heavy or really tall people on the program?

Default Re: The issue of.... size.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolmanio View Post
    most people are average sized, height and weight wise.
    bollocks they are. Most JETs are either scrawny waifs or giant sacks of crap. you will definitely be on the taller end of the scale but nobody is going to discriminate against you for being tall. you will struggle to find clothes to buy but thats about it. the women will be all over a tall glass of water like yourself.
    Last edited by Antonath; March 12th, 2014 at 15:18.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

I'm 6'1" my pred was at least 6'3". So there are tall people, though you'd be one of the taller JETs for sure.

If you get placed, get ready to watch your head in the schools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

bollocks they are. Most JETs are either scrawny waifs or giant sacks of crap. you will definitely be on the taller end of the scale but nobody is going to discriminate against you for being tall. you will struggle to find clothes to buy but thats about it. the women will be all over a tall glass of water like yourself.
    I'm gay.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    If you get placed, get ready to watch your head in the schools.
    That or your f*cking house. I'm already suffering severe traumatic brain injury from daily head-butts of low-hanging beams in my house, which was apparently designed by hobbits.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

I'm gay.
    Then it will be even easier for you to get laid. Frankly, I envy you.
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    What do you mean??

Dude half the men here are better looking girls then the girls back home. If you wanna join the party jump on in.

What do you mean??
    When you're a straight white guy in Japan, people generally assume you're here for one thing (starts with "p" and rhymes with "dune"). Usually they're right, but this is beside the point; they're gonna look down on you for it and you'll generally have to learn to hide your feelings in this regard. Whereas, if you're gay, you may hafta kinda keep sh*t on the down-low where your BoE is concerned, but there are massive social networking structures set up which will enable you to find multiple sexual partners in a matter of seconds once you arrive, and pretty much every female ALT who was disgusted by some white guy's desire to bang some J-girl will hypocritically find any gay relationship to be "cute" and encourage the sh*t out of you.

Quote Originally Posted by jwkelley View Post
    Dude half the men here are better looking girls then the girls back home. If you wanna join the party jump on in.
    Don't tempt me.

Or do, f*ck. MG would certainly be willing to let me have a go at some hot J-guy's nether-ye.

When you're a straight white guy in Japan, people generally assume you're here for one thing (starts with "p" and rhymes with "dune"). Usually they're right, but this is beside the point; they're gonna look down on you for it and you'll generally have to learn to hide your feelings in this regard. Whereas, if you're gay, you may hafta kinda keep sh*t on the down-low where your BoE is concerned, but there are massive social networking structures set up which will enable you to find multiple sexual partners in a matter of seconds once you arrive, and pretty much every female ALT who was disgusted by some white guy's desire to bang some J-girl will hypocritically find any gay relationship to be "cute" and encourage the sh*t out of you.
    Well that sounds remarkably similar to where I am now XD.

Your first comment doesn't surprise me. I am following a JET blog right now and all he basically does is bitch about how he doesn't get laid enough...... Men are gross :S

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Dude, I came over with two guys who had to be over 6'6. They were monsters. Don't worry about it, but bring clothes cuz you will never find stuff here without a lot of difficulty.

Also, there are plenty of super sized guys here. I mean hell I'm at 105kg right now, I was even heavier when I came (I also lost weight like all hell after I got here... damn you booze). I've also seen some guys (and girls) who even at my current weight make me look skinny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Don't tempt me.

Or do, f*ck. MG would certainly be willing to let me have a go at some hot J-guy's nether-ye.
    To quote a friend who was talking about being a female CS major at Carnegie Mellon, "the odds are good, but the goods are odd."

Also I think a lot of women tend to be more supportive of a sanitized BL version of gay romance than actual real gay sexuality. I mean, I think it's unfair to be critical of people who openly just want to hook up, but the prudishness of western culture hasn't treated gay men particularly well either.

what the fuck has that got to do with being tall? stay on fucking topic
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Condoms, bring condoms.

We could always make another threat about LGBT life in Japan, granted there are enough here who could teach\learn.

Coolmanio...you'll be ducking quite a bit if you get in. :P But I think you'll also be instantly popular with the students.
    Alternate - Washington DC

Quote Originally Posted by therealwindycity View Post
    To quote a friend who was talking about being a female CS major at Carnegie Mellon, "the odds are good, but the goods are odd."
    LOL I could believe it. Of course, that's pretty much the case when anyone tries to date an ALT, regardless of the gender/sexuality of either participant.

Quote Originally Posted by therealwindycity View Post
    Also I think a lot of women tend to be more supportive of a sanitized BL version of gay romance than actual real gay sexuality. I mean, I think it's unfair to be critical of people who openly just want to hook up, but the prudishness of western culture hasn't treated gay men particularly well either.
    That's probably true. It's like that episode of QAF (the American version) where Brian accuses Emmett of being "non-sexual" in his "Queer Guy" role on TV, so Emmett talks about his underwear and tight ass on the next segment and gets chewed out for it. I get that; it does hafta suck to have a weird two-faced public perception of one's sexuality, I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by LaVie View Post
    We could always make another threat about LGBT life in Japan, granted there are enough here who could teach\learn.
    Sorry, we don't allow threats on this forum.

I kid, I kid; I know it was just a typo. We do actually have a few folks around here who like their own gender's naughty bits and offer helpful info in that regard. We've had buttloads of threads regarding LGBTQSMPVUXOMD issues in Japan; some are quickly led astray, of course, but some stick around and manage to offer a bit of useful information. I would say it increasingly just doesn't matter much, though. There are arseloads (teehee) of social support structures available to lesbian and gay ALTs (significantly fewer for transsexual ALTs; nobody gives a f*cking rat's ass about bisexual ALTs one way or the other). Ostensibly, these exist to offer support and guidance; realistically, they seem to function more as a sort of OKCupid.

Quote Originally Posted by LaVie View Post
    Coolmanio...you'll be ducking quite a bit if you get in. :P But I think you'll also be instantly popular with the students.
    Pretty much. Also, you might as well just learn how to say your height in Japanese now, because that is--without question--the first and most common thing you will be asked.

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

Just to throw my hat into the ring as a tall person, I've knocked myself out once and suffered a few bruises thanks to lower doorframes than I'm used to over the past seven months. The major thing to watch out for as a tall person is when the level of the internal floor changes. It can be really easy (especially when you're drunk) to see the step down on the floor but forget there might be a similar dip in ceiling height.

Speaking from stupid, stupid experience.

try looking straight ahead instead of staring at your feet. grow a pair of balls and hold your head high.

Hey, (at the risk of sounding slightly desperate for "material" (which I am definitely not)) where can find these LGBT JET blogs of which you speak Coolmanio? I admit, I haven't found many, maybe I don't know how to use the internet yet...