Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best location in JET

Default Re: Best location in JET

Quote Originally Posted by BeckyJones View Post
    Anyplace outside THE city is going to be pretty similar. I could show you a photo of Nagoya, Sendai, Fukuoka, Kyoto, Kanazawa, Niigata, Maebashi, Tsukuba, Mito, etc etc and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Once you get out of the urban area, the countryside is also pretty damn homogenous.

I.E. the point of this post, and the point of a lot of peoples posts here. There really isn't that big a difference, and if/when you come here you will probably find that place to be to your liking. So don't think about it, or worry about it unless you are really affected by the weather (i.e. hate the cold... don't go north)
    Assuming "THE city" means Tokyo I'd maybe group Osaka closer to that than the other cities above.

Personally I'd opt for Otsu / Kusatsu if I could request again. It's the Saitama of Kansai.
    Last edited by mrcharisma; March 13th, 2014 at 13:19.

Pimpin wenches aint easy BeckyJones's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrcharisma View Post
    Assuming "THE city" means Tokyo I'd maybe group Osaka closer to that than the other cities above.

Personally I'd opt for Otsu / Kusatsu if I could request again. It's the Saitama of Kansai.
    THE city does mean Tokyo. I didn't put Osaka in that list because Osaka at least has its own flavor. But really, most people always seem to want THE city and JET isn't going to provide that. Sure, there are a lucky 4 or 5 people who get placed near THE city but for the rest of the lot you are going to be someplace out in the country or near a major city you havn't heard of.

I personally think that is a great thing. When I did JET the closest major city was Fukuoka and it was great. Now I live near Tokyo and Tokyo sucks ass compared to Fukuoka, If i was placed near Tokyo I would of missed out on a hell of a lot of fun
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Oh that reminds me, also not Osaka.

My guess is that the best placement is in Kobe. JETs are actually placed in the city, it's a gorgeous place, and I heard they get summers off.

Otsu is a really shitty city but it's really close to Kyoto/easy to get to Osaka. Kusatsu is much nicer, but I'm not sure where the JET there is placed. Shiga in general is pretty nice, as long as you're on the right side of the lake.

^ I second any BOE that gives their JETs summer (and BOE days) off. A few cities in our prefecture do this (though you are required to stay in the city, nenq has to be taken for leaving the area as far as I know).

Pretty much what BJ said, all of Japan will net you nearly the same experiences (minus the obvious weather-related ones)--the only difference is convenience, access to foreign stuff, and levels of staring.
    Last edited by Page; March 14th, 2014 at 08:45.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Agree with Page.

So the list so far:
    No Tohoku
    No Saitama
    No Osaka

Everywhere else, exactly the same. Some have better perks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

Well I'm in Hokkaido, and I love it here - but that's mostly because I'm boring. Don't come up north if you're after nightlife, unless you're willing to drive for hours to find it. On the plus side if you're from small English town #275, you'll feel right at home in Hokkaido - same lack of people aged between 18 and 30, same short drives to a cold, stony beach, and same feeling that if the wind blew really heard and knocked over a sign it would be all anyone talked about for several weeks.

It's perfect!

Why do people keep saying that about Saitama? Is it really that bad there?

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Agree with Page.

So the list so far:
    No Tohoku
    No Saitama
    No Osaka

Everywhere else, exactly the same. Some have better perks.
    I really want to slander my former almost-BOE that asked me to hand in my passport & driver's licence. No to them, too.
    I thought it was time to use a sig

Quote Originally Posted by HorseFeathers View Post
    It's a running joke here on ITIL, but, like all stereotypes, it is very much rooted in an unfortunate reality. Saitama is the Detroit of Japan.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Banned

Saitama is the worst place in Japan. Its one of the few things foreigners and the Japanese agree on.

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    Saitama is the worst place in Japan. Its one of the few things foreigners and the Japanese agree on.
    Saitama has a neat train museum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Yes.

Saitama has a neat train museum.
    It has a train museum. Lets not get carried away.

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    Yes.

It has a train museum. Lets not get carried away.
    I guess that is a little too otaku, eh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Saitama is the boring/poor outskirts of Tokyo, and everyone who lives there takes the train into THE city to party/shop. Think of it like, New Jersey.
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Banned

it takes ages to get to tokyo from saitama. The only people who live in saitama are the ones working factory jobs and they certainly cant afford to go party or shop in tokyo.

Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Kusatsu is much nicer, but I'm not sure where the JET there is placed. Shiga in general is pretty nice, as long as you're on the right side of the lake.
    There are about three JETs placed in the Kusatsu area (including Ritto). I actually prefer Otsu to Kusatsu but maybe that's just me.
    Last edited by OdysseyOfNoises; March 17th, 2014 at 14:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    it takes ages to get to tokyo from saitama. The only people who live in saitama are the ones working factory jobs and they certainly cant afford to go party or shop in tokyo.
    under 2 hours isn't ages.

Banned

it is in my book