Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best location in JET

Default Best location in JET

So I'm curious....what is the best town, city, or prefecture to be placed and why? I assume it varies a lot on the person and other JET's going to a certain location each year, but as a general guess.....which location/s are typically the best?

Some examples for being "the best" could be based on, weather, seasonal events, accessibility to transportation around Japan, food, nightlife, BOE, and amazing apartments. Of course I am eager to hear all perspectives, so let's hear it! Also, I'm most curious about the locations with the best apartments, BOE, and food.

Default Re: Best location in JET

all of japan is basically the same. some bits are hotter than others, some are colder, saitama has more rapists. Doesn't really matter, you're going to end up in the arse end of nowhere dreaming of moving to tokyo and eating the same old shit as every other JET in the country.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Matsumoto City, Nagano Prefecture.

Best castle in all of Japan. Only an hour's drive from some of the best snowboarding in Japan. Easy expressway access to Tokyo or Nagoya, also good, fast trains. Not too cold in the winter, not too hot in the summer. "Young" feel, unlike Nagano City (so f*cking old and crappy), plenty of young people and trendy shops and sh*t, as well as a decent community of expats. The last Matsumoto ALT I knew had a f*cking MASSIVE house near the school grounds that was provided rent-free. Fewer rapists than Saitama.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Anywhere that isn't tohoku or hokkaido. Fuck winter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Not Saitama.

all of japan is basically the same. some bits are hotter than others, some are colder, saitama has more rapists. Doesn't really matter, you're going to end up in the arse end of nowhere dreaming of moving to tokyo and eating the same old shit as every other JET in the country.
    I think something's massively bittered me, but this. Japan is annoyingly, depressingly.. same-y across the country. Buttfuck inaka tohoku looks like buttfuck inaka kyushu, you'll have the same 109 year old baachanosaur narking at you to do your bins right, you'll have the same odd sense of rot because all the young people have fecked off to Tokyo.

What makes it different in the weather, really. It turns pink, white, green, and orange at different times for different lengths.

That's not to say it's not beautiful, though. Sometimes.
    I thought it was time to use a sig

I love my city. It's cheap and convenient. I am an eight minute train ride from a shinkansen station. From there I am a half-hour away from Hiroshima and about forty-five minutes from Fukuoka.

I live in one of the smaller cities in Japan that is actually growing. My schools are packed with kids and enrollment is increasing next school year. We don't have a Starbucks, but we have a lot of really nice cafes in the area that serve really nice coffee.

It doesn't get very cold in the winter, but it gets really hot in the summer.

Also, my BOE is pretty damn good all things considered.

Kyoto City.

Kyoto???? There's fuck all to do there apart from look at "ancient" temples that get rebuilt every 25years.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Hokkaido has the best food.
    いいみで

enjoy your food while you are freezing to death, shovelling snow and being hundreds of miles from civilisation......

ITT: Don't go to Saitama or you'll get raped AND everywhere in Japan is the same.

pretty much.

Everywhere is hot in summer, cold in winter, and has big bugs. You should choose your placements by how likely you'd be run over by an old person.

Quote Originally Posted by coop52 View Post
    You should choose your placements by how likely you'd be run over by an old person.
    That should be easy. Just find out which dealerships sell the most kei-trucks and that'll be your dead give away to stay away from those places.

i dunno, I reckon a kei truck would come out worse off if it drove into me at low speed, those things are made of crepe paper. its the old dears driving 3lt toyota crowns but are too small to see over the steering wheel that you need to watch out for.

I'm surprised no one has brought up bathtubs and sand yet.
    I thought it was time to use a sig

oooo, good point. If you come to Saitama you will get raped but the 2 highest profile cases of rape and murder of foreign women happened in Chiba. Basically if you have a vagina stay out of kanto.

Pimpin wenches aint easy BeckyJones's Avatar

Anyplace outside THE city is going to be pretty similar. I could show you a photo of Nagoya, Sendai, Fukuoka, Kyoto, Kanazawa, Niigata, Maebashi, Tsukuba, Mito, etc etc and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Once you get out of the urban area, the countryside is also pretty damn homogenous.

I.E. the point of this post, and the point of a lot of peoples posts here. There really isn't that big a difference, and if/when you come here you will probably find that place to be to your liking. So don't think about it, or worry about it unless you are really affected by the weather (i.e. hate the cold... don't go north)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.