Thread: Vision Quest II

Default Vision Quest II

Just got told I'll be teaching English Expression II for one class a week starting next year. Anyone got any experience with this book?

Default Re: Vision Quest II

Isn't this the first year it will be used?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

I've been using Vision Quest I a bit, which is nice enough. There's a handy classroom English phrases inside the front cover, and their activities section is easy to photocopy into worksheets. Some of their activities actually work really well for communication lessons. I bet II is set up largely the same, so I recommend you check out the activities section.
    Last edited by Spacey; March 18th, 2014 at 13:48.

I use Vision Quest I. My problem with Vision Quest is that the conversation topics are barely related to the oodles of Japanese language grammar sections that dominate the textbook. Which in my school translates to teaching grammar in Japanese being the only thing that really matter and thus the only thing they get tested on.

But Vision Quest II seems at least a little different. I'll post my thoughts when I have looked through it more (and if I ever get the team teaching book)

I look forward to seeing what you think. I might be teaching with Vision Quest II next year, as well.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Vision quest II should be new to the curriculum this year for anyone using it. AFAIK vision quest (In its current form) was not available before this year at either level.

Book II is much more grammar focused, much like previous years. The nice part comes at the end in "paragraph" writing (part 2), and part 3 which is presentation, discussion, and debate. If you can ask the teacher to integrate these activities from part 2 and 3 into the regular part 1 curriculum, then there might be something you can be involved in, but for the most part the book is pretty heavily grammar focused.

It also seems to focus more heavily on non-pronoun based subjects than before, which is a good thing for their center test. Unfortunately, it is using much of the same structures as book 1, so I hope the teacher realizes they can actually plow through it a bit more quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Flicked through it a bit... Pretty unenthused. Seems like a pretty straight shot of mostly grammar with a bit of reading. Is it 5 "conversation activity" sections in the whole book? Most of them don't look much like any conversation practice I've ever seen.

I had a look. Comm activity 1 is a writing task. 2 is a basic memo task, 3 is entirely a listening task, 4 is a reading plus contextual writing task, 5 is a graph reading task with phrasal identification.

Nothing about this book requires an ALT in any way. There's not even an intro listening section, other than the small snippet of text at the top of a unit.

If you thought you were bored with book 1, book 2 will put you to sleep. I'm curious to see the full manual set for it. Gonna ask my teacher when we expect to receive our full set.

We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

I just flipped through a bit more and the only part I'm even remotely interested in is the part 2 and 3 sections. The rest is pretty uninteresting.

The only thing I can imagine is that they assumed that team teaching was only for 1st grade classes. MEXT can make as many well-intentioned changes to the curriculum as they like, if they continue to implement them like this and allow the publishing companies to regurgitate the same old crap then nothing will ever change. I'd be mildly surprised if most of my JTEs could explain much about how the curriculum has changed outside of "we must use English...chotto...". I know at least 2 ALTs who are teaching in the communication class. Shit, maybe we're supposed to be in the communication class?

Anyone got a link to the MEXT curriculum guideline thingy in English? I seem to remember someone posting it a while back...