Thread: Going early to Japan

Default Going early to Japan

Hi,

I know the JET program provides a flight to Japan, but I wonder if its possible to go early? Ideally I'd like to arrive a month in advance just to travel around before I start my job. Anyone know if this is possible? I'm coming from Canada.

Default Re: Going early to Japan

If you want to go early, I'm pretty sure you forfeit the free flight, and you'd also miss things like pre-departure orientation at your consulate (the value of which is questionable, but it is mandatory for new JETs). If you get in, I'd give your consulate a call and ask them about it.

I'm an applicant too so I cant say for sure, but in the UK at least, you need to give the embassy your passport a couple of weeks before departure to sort out the visa etc. and you don't get it back until the day of departure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    well now I feel bad....
    And now we just wait for the world to end...

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Nope.

They will take your passport about a month before you go, and the final pre-departure orientation is mandatory. (This made more than one ALT in my year a little angry given how FAR AWAY she was coming just for a few hours of boredom and a couple of drinks)

The only way to get around it is to have already been outside of the country when you applied.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Don't worry too much about arriving early to sight-see. Unless you're only planning to stay in Japan for a year you'll get plenty of time to visit pretty much anywhere you could want to go in Japan. Save your money for buying all the things you'll need to start a new life.

Also a lot of people spend an extra month or two in Japan after they finish JET. That way you'll have the benefit of greater Japanese ability and being accustomed to Japan and get a lot more out of travelling.

Good advice.

There's also a small chance that your BoE will allow you to "do your thing" and travel in August before school starts up. I guess that also depends how well your predecessor sets you up and whether you get all of your documents, cards, etc. at the beginning of the month.

If not, you'll have plenty of chances to travel with the holidays and nenkyuu that we get.

Yeah, you have to leave your home country with everybody as a group I'm pretty sure, we were given our passports back at the airport my year before leaving on the booked flight anyway so leaving to visit would be kind of tough without that.

Like others said, you'll have plenty of time when you get here you eager beaver.

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

While i am unsure how things are in canada, i can tell you that at u.s. consulates, we require you send us your passports at the beginning of july. This gives us time to process your visas, and we return your passports either at the airport or pre departure reception. No international travel is allowed in july unless it is something you have pre arranged with your consulate/embassy before hand.

What the others have said is correct, you will miss out on your free flight to japan through the program. Also, consulates get a special list from japan approving jet visas(this is required since jets do not get the typical certificate of eligibility usually required for work visas) so until that comes in, issuing your visa will be hard. We usually get that list late june or early july.

The pre delarture orientation is mandatory. I know many people may not like it, but we are required to inform you of certain things before going to japa, and that is what this is for. Some of it may seem like common sense, but you'd be surprised how many people get to japan and all of a sudden they didnt know they couldnt do x or y.

At any rate, you will have plenty of time to travel, so enjoy yourself after you get there.

Good luck.