Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Plan B

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1

    Default Plan B

    I know we're all nervously waiting to hear back from JET, but if you don't get accepted, what is your Plan B? I'm interested to see what other people have set up/is setting up.

  2. #2
    Senior Member par92186's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    210

    Default Re: Plan B

    I've got (3) options at the moment...

    1.) continue teaching at my current public Elementary school in Korea for a third year (i'll get a decent pay raise and some serious bonuses for a 3rd stint)
    2.) a friend of mine teaches at an International School in a nearby city in Korea and she said she'd hook me up if I wanted a position
    3.) get a teaching job in the Middle East; preferably UAE

    There's noway i'm moving back to the U.S. yet because the job market is pretty slump and the thought of trying to find a real teaching job while living at my parents house at 27 just makes me sad in the pants. Plus, teaching and travelling is a good short-term gig while paying off some student loans.

    Worst comes to worst if all three of my back-ups fall through...
    Clown College

  3. #3

    Default Re: Plan B

    Apply for MBA at Harvard, Wharton, Booth, Etc etc. I was going to do that regardless after I got back.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    rwar

  4. #4

    Default Re: Plan B

    Plan B?

    Back to the job-hunt grind, pretty much.
    I don't have a "Plan B to get to Japan" though. As much as I would love to go, if I don't make it on to JET, I think it'd be a better step to focus on getting into a professional career here in America instead.

  5. #5
    Senior Member LaVie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    A snowglobe
    Posts
    110

    Default Re: Plan B

    Multiple "Plan Bs":
    1.) Got an app out for a year long teaching job in France, but it doesn't pay very well so I'm not too optimistic about that one. Won't find out about that one till around the same time JET results come back.
    2.) Get a teaching certification either here or back at home.
    3.) Maybe just working at home to raise money and re-applying to JET and Interac for next year's round of hiring.

    OR

    4.)Possibly just biting the bullet and going to grad school in France.
    Alternate - Washington DC

  6. #6

    Default Re: Plan B

    If I don't get in, I'm planning to move closer to Atlanta and try and find a job there. Living in a college town is a career dead-end. Then I'll likely apply for JET again when it next comes around, and probably Interac too because dammit I don't want to live in the South for the rest of my life.

  7. #7
    Member nostos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    92

    Default Re: Plan B

    I'll probably end up moving, but not sure where to yet. Since I've got my degree, I'm hoping to find a real career job. I'll probably apply to JET again, but I'd have to see where my life is at by then and re-evaluate if I really want to go at that time. Also possibly considering grad school, but not sure about that one.

  8. #8
    VIP Nell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    59

    Default Re: Plan B

    I have an interview with Interac on 11th April so hopefully by then I'll know my JET result and HOPEFULLY will be able to cancel my Interac interview. Otherwise I'll do the interview and if that doesn't work either, then it probably wasn't meant to be and I'll try to find something else although I have no idea what. I applied to a grad scheme too and passed the app stage so I'm waiting to hear from them about the next stage.
    So I have a couple of potential things but nothing reliable to fall back on.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Plan B

    I have a couple options depending on how I want to tackle the coming year. But the basic plan is:

    A. Reapply to JET AND Interac for the next year. Hopefully by that time I'd be able to afford the added expenses I'd need to survive on Interac's salary while also paying for my flight and first two months rent.

    B. Continue working at my job as a sub or try to see if I can get a job as an Kindergarten Assistant for the coming school year.

    C. Get a summer job teaching or volunteering to beef up my resume (and hopefully help me survive the long summer holiday).

    I still don't think I'm ready to tackle getting a Masters this coming year. But if I get rejected this year AND next year, then I guess I will have seriously consider it. The cost and effort involved is just extremely daunting at the moment. I would rather have a paying job than go back to school.

  10. #10
    disobedient avocado Lianwen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    INAKA
    Posts
    6,016

    Default Re: Plan B

    ^Is teaching something you know you want to do? There are quite a few programs in the US that allow you to get a Masters via an alternate certification program while paying you to work (but a small portion of your salary goes toward the program). If you have your license to sub though, you might be disqualified from them because you have too much education in education, but it can't hurt to look.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lianwen View Post
    I am a competent, semifunctioning adult of modest landwhale proportions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    how many more threads in which BJ declares his love for lianwen do we need?

  11. #11

    Default Re: Plan B

    I actually didn't get a license to sub in the county I work. It's not a requirement. Which has made it pretty difficult for me to make the jump from sub to teaching. I get a lot of mixed messages on how to go about becoming a teacher. Some mention something similar to what you say Lianwen, working and getting my masters at the same time. But other times I hit a wall of, you need to get your master's first. I know it's possible to do without. I've met teachers without Masters. It's just complicated and annoying. Which is kinda why I wanted to just go see the world for a little while before I go back to do yet another two or more years of school. I've already done six years of higher education. Not looking forward to more.

  12. #12
    Member whitehexe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    25

    Default Re: Plan B

    I have 2 plans depending...

    My first is that I've also applied for a local, JET-like program where my city sends 1-2 people every few years to teach in our sister city of Uji. They are sending 2 this year and applied for that. Considering how active I am in the Japanese community both on and off my campus, I think have a good chance along with the skills and experience I have thus far. This is a 'backup' because JET pays better, has a better support network and as much as I would love to live in Uji I would probably pick JET over this program even though I might get a not so great location.

    My other backup if I don't get either is to continue at my University, and enroll in the TESL Program. I'll also continue working and tutoring at the Immigration Center I'm currently working at to get more experience in ESL, and just work on things to make my application better for next year. I'll also look into other job opportunities aside from JET and the sister city program.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    288

    Default Re: Plan B

    Quote Originally Posted by whitehexe View Post
    I have 2 plans depending...

    My first is that I've also applied for a local, JET-like program where my city sends 1-2 people every few years to teach in our sister city of Uji. They are sending 2 this year and applied for that. Considering how active I am in the Japanese community both on and off my campus, I think have a good chance along with the skills and experience I have thus far. This is a 'backup' because JET pays better, has a better support network and as much as I would love to live in Uji I would probably pick JET over this program even though I might get a not so great location.

    My other backup if I don't get either is to continue at my University, and enroll in the TESL Program. I'll also continue working and tutoring at the Immigration Center I'm currently working at to get more experience in ESL, and just work on things to make my application better for next year. I'll also look into other job opportunities aside from JET and the sister city program.
    Just curious about this sister city program and why it's your backup?
    Other than the pay what other differences are there? What are the perks of the sister city job? What are the limitations?

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    2

    Default Re: Plan B

    I have quite a few plans at the minute. Obviously I'm waiting to hear back about JET but am also considering other options which aren't related to teaching or Japan. I'm actually quite excited about those as well. The uncertainty is very frustrating, I think If I am not short listed I will withdraw my application and move on to something else. I could not bear waiting until potentially December, unable to make any plans. Best of luck everyone

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    137

    Default Re: Plan B

    Plan b is to head to Japan to live near the in laws and let my daughter attend kindergarten there for a term (sept -Dec).Very different planning and preparation, and I'm anxious to start!


    S

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •