Thread: WaniKani

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Open the doors, Hoff. BambooTelegraph's Avatar

Default WaniKani

Has anyone used WaniKani for their Kanji Prep?

For those that haven't heard about it, it's a website for learning and studying Kanji (first as radicals). It's highlight is that it depends on Spaced Repetitions (much like Anki's flashcards). Right now it is in closed beta, but if you submit your email they'll add you to it.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Default Re: WaniKani

I played with it, and was thinking of using it for shits and giggles when I redo my kanji learning.

If you look at WaniKani closely, it's pretty much heisig all over again, just with a slightly different ordering of the kanji. It's also nice in that it's adding vocabulary that is appropriate for the kanji that you have learned as you progress through the levels.

Unfortunately, it's entirely website based learning, so it struggles from the "can't be learned on the go" easily problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

I'll add it has one frustrating feature, in that it doesn't let you skip ahead. You're stuck on its timing schedule all the time.

We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Open the doors, Hoff. BambooTelegraph's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    I'll add it has one frustrating feature, in that it doesn't let you skip ahead. You're stuck on its timing schedule all the time.

Seriously. This is the feature that I hate the most. The waiting...

There are unofficial apps that allow you to use it for Android, I would assume that some time in the future they'll make an official one.

I maxed out the free part of WaniKani and generally I liked it. I did hate the 'waiting game' aspect though.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

The waiting is horrible when you start, but it gets a lot better over time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Where does the free part of wanikani end?

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Where does the free part of wanikani end?
    If I remember correctly, at level 2.

There are unofficial apps for WK for tablets and phones, in my experience they work pretty well. I decided to purchase the subscription for a year because so far it has been the most efficient way for me to learn Kanji. I know a number of other people as well who love it.

That said, WK has currently been put on the back burner while the developer works on some other projects. There are very few updates currently and some people complain about slight errors in meaning at higher levels.

I do recommend paying, maybe monthly, to go past the free trial period that ends at level two. At least try it out. It seriously picks up and eventually will get to a point where you may have trouble keeping up.
    Last edited by alegria; May 2nd, 2014 at 13:36.

I just started using WK and though the waiting is hard, I understand its function in learning. I excelled at kanji in HS, and struggled with it in college. But now I am re learning it for my own enjoyment, and their mnemonics certainly keep it interesting. I think its definitely worth continuing past the free levels.

Ya, I opted to pay for it (using the code from a fellow member) and while the waiting is difficult, I appreciate the system slightly more than anki. The connections between vocabulary and kanji is much stronger to me, and it feels like I'm slowly expanding my vocabulary.

That being said, there definitely is a requirement to do it as often as possible. Don't skip a lesson otherwise you could have a gap in your reviews and /or delay overall progression.

Professional Fun Killer hypatia's Avatar

That being said, there definitely is a requirement to do it as often as possible. Don't skip a lesson otherwise you could have a gap in your reviews and /or delay overall progression.
    THIS. For everyone commenting on having to wait, believe me, that's only the first few levels. In fact, if you are not consistent in the upper levels you can get quite snowballed. I currently have 480 pending reviews (I got busy for a while and at the time they didn't have the vacation function where you can pause the srs). If I'm feeling super productive I can get like 100 done in a sitting, but it's pretty hard to dig your way out that kind of hole. So, it's taking a while for me to get caught back up. Consistency is key (which is true in any kind of study, but WaniKani really makes it a requirement). But in that way it's no different than getting behind on your reviews with an Anki deck.

I used it off and on for a while.

The snowball effect was ruinous (at least with Anki, there is a maximum number of reviews it'll foist on you).

The other problem I had was imprecision-- if you spell one letter wrong in either translation, the whole thing is bust and the item in question will pop up more frequently even if you know it well. On a phone keyboard, mis-keying happens quite a lot, and these "fake" errors only exacerbated the snowball issues.

The vocabulary set was illustrious though and much more useful than anything else I've studied from, but the only way I've made any real progress was through ditching it for Anki. WK takes a page from the MMO playbook in gaming the SRS system to force you to waste your time grinding while they collect monthly subscription fees. I don't have time for that.

starfish, that's why I have the override script installed on every computer I use it on, and why I never review on my iOS device for anything other than vocabulary.

Kanji and Radicals I do on the computer, vocab is for everything else.

Banned

starfish, that's why I have the override script installed on every computer I use it on, and why I never review on my iOS device for anything other than vocabulary.

Kanji and Radicals I do on the computer, vocab is for everything else.
    I have a few friends who did wanikani for longer than I could stand it, and that was their solution too, but what's the point of it if I can't use it on the train or wherever else I'm waiting around doing nothing? I can study at home for free, and not have to deal with terrible mnemonics about hard gay.

I haven't used the mnemonics in ages now. When kanji comes up, and I am doing it on my iphone, I just pop over to safari and check my answer manually before I put it in if it's a current level one. If it's an old kanji, I just take my chances (even with a spelling error) because doing the word/kanji again won't kill me if I'm still unlocking levels.

And ya, I've been on wanikani now for almost a year, at level 20 (could have been higher but not in THAT much of a rush), and it's been the most effective vocabulary building tool I have used to date. I've learned more from it in a year than I did in 3 years of uni, or my first 2 years in the country.

same here (when i actually did my reviews). however you gotta watch out cuz it's quite easy to use those scripts when you legitimately get something wrong. quite a few times i would fuck up, see the answer and would be like 'meh... i knew that...'
    Quote Originally Posted by starfish View Post
    The snowball effect was ruinous (at least with Anki, there is a maximum number of reviews it'll foist on you).

S__1818716.jpg
    tell me about it...
    www.thejetcoaster.com
    5th year | 2010 Toronto JET | Kagawa-ken
    thejetcoaster.com | youtube | instagram