Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Results are In

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Default Re: Results are In

To everyone who hasn't received a message yet I have one small but helpful suggestion. Breathe.

Today, tomorrow, or next week, this is message will come and life will either be awesome or cry into beer worthy and it is entirely beyond your control.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    To everyone who hasn't received a message yet I have one small but helpful suggestion. Breathe.

Today, tomorrow, or next week, this is message will come...
    *starts breathing*

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    it is entirely beyond your control.
    *goes purple from lack of breath*
    Last edited by spman2099; April 1st, 2014 at 18:01. Reason: stupid spelling mistake
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    They're gonna burn you inside a giant wicker anpanman.

Quote Originally Posted by spman2099 View Post
    *goes purple from lack of breathe*

Alternates: Don't lose heart! I know a lot of JETs that were alternates. I might be one myself!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

I know i should be having hope but it been quite a week, now topped with an April fools day joke on me, sigh.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

From South Africa here and just got the awesome news.^____^

has anybody from melbourne heard back yet?

Sweating to death from panic waiting here in the UK!

miamicoordinator, I wonder if you'd mind taking one more question about alternates? I heard that you can wait all the way up till December or so to be upgraded, but most people know by July. What timeframe are the most people upgraded within? (Just so I know how long I should reasonably hold out for. =p )

Quote Originally Posted by CrouchingMouse View Post
    miamicoordinator, I wonder if you'd mind taking one more question about alternates? I heard that you can wait all the way up till December or so to be upgraded, but most people know by July. What timeframe are the most people upgraded within? (Just so I know how long I should reasonably hold out for. =p )
    I'm not Miami Coordinator, but I may have a general idea. Alternate upgrades usually come in waves. The first wave will be right about now, when shortlisters have to turn in their reply forms - if somebody declines, an alternate will take their place. The next wave would be in June-ish, when placements go out. If a shortlister doesn't like their placement and declines, then that space is open. The next wave would be right before/right after the JETs depart, if some shortlisters wuss out and go home right before/after going to Japan.

Of course at any time a shortlister can drop out for any reason, but I think those are the most likely times for alternates to get upgraded.

Ahhhh I really hope the UK results get sent out tomorrow! I'm not going to be able to concentrate on work at all today...

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Shincantsen is pretty much spot on but there is one more (very slim) upgrade window of early September October. When alts have been in Japan fora bit but hate their positions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quiet today... No new notifications out of the US?!

Nah, haven't heard anything from JET as of yet. What time did they start rolling out yesterday, around 3:00 or 3:30?
    Alternate - Washington DC

Quote Originally Posted by LaVie View Post
    Nah, haven't heard anything from JET as of yet. What time did they start rolling out yesterday, around 3:00 or 3:30?
    3:46 Miami
    ⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa

Quote Originally Posted by Randomgirl View Post
    Quiet today... No new notifications out of the US?!
    Nashville results are in. Received my alternate status today at 11:48. sigh

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrouchingMouse View Post
    Sorry I did not get to this earlier. You can imagine how busy it is here right now!

What Shincantsen and Gizmo said is pretty accurate for the most part.

Most upgrades happen from April-June. This is when people initially accept/decline for whatever personal reasons they have. They might also not like their placement and drop out after finding out where they are going. Placement notifications usually roll out sometime in June. I would say a good majority of the upgrades happen during the first few months. They do come in waves, as said here.

The Upgrade window from August to December is definitely smaller, but they do often on a yearly basis. Many people get to Japan, find out they don't like it as much as they thought they would. Maybe they don't like their contracting organization, and just bail. There are many reasons people leave. I had an upgrade here in late November of last year, so they do happen when you would least expect them.

Of course, since JET applications are due in November/December, many alternates just apply again for the next year anyway since it might be a goal of theirs. The best thing you can do if you are in limbo is work on strengthening your application. Maybe add some teaching experience, volunteers hours, Japanese ability, whatever it may be. Definitely don't sit around and do nothing and appear exactly the same as you were this year.

There are lots of reasons why someone is on the alternate list, but it basically means that others just scored higher than you during their interviews. You could have been a great candidate, but maybe someone else was just a pinch better and put you under the line.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a bunch for the replies, everyone. That does give me a better idea of what to expect. =)

Only an hour left before the embassy closes. I don't know if DC applicants are going to get their emails today. Uggggh.

New York just released their list.

Not that it effects me XD

Quote Originally Posted by Coolmanio View Post
    New York just released their list.

Not that it effects me XD
    I think the whole east coast will get theirs before DC releases their list.