Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2014 Textbooks: Impressions and Ideas

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Default Re: 2014 Textbooks: Impressions and Ideas

Pretty much. There isn't any focus on structural types (difference between a simple answer and more complex writing). They are shown connecting words, but really only in the sense of identification, not implementation (something you only really learn through trial and error). They don't have any writing support skills like initial planning, structuring/organizing, outlines/flow maps, drafts, peer correction.... pretty much anything you may have learned in HS back home for English writing, or what they teach the slow kids at university writing support centres.

They also aren't particularly good at teaching them what to write either, as they often don't have any practice in critical thinking or linear processing.

Ya, VQ II is VERY ALT unfriendly, and it really seems like it was planned around the idea that the ALT teaches first year students and gradually the SHS transitions the class from ALT stuff to JTE stuff by 2nd year start. I mean hell we're not all that useful for third year, assuming a teacher has actually shown them HOW to read, rather than grammar in reading.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

I bought a copy of the textbook I used in my high school English class (Lively Art of Writing AKA the LAW book), and my JTEs seemed pretty interested in it. Obviously, I can't just copy the book for the kids, but it should help me remember the actual steps for writing an essay so I can teach the kids. I'm fairly sure they wouldn't be able to master my usual method of bullshitting an essay in one go.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

coop, I posted a thread earlier about essay writing. If your students are better, use your system, but if your students are shite I think my approach is a good framework to work from. It helps overcome several critical deficiencies in their writing skills if you implement it correctly (disclaimer: there are probably many glaring omissions and mistakes in it, but it serves a purpose)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Sweet, I'll take a look at it. The JTEs are fretting a bit since the students' levels seem lower than we hoped.