Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: UK Applicants - Results Info 2014

Default Re: UK Applicants - Results Info 2014

Quote Originally Posted by katiekookaburra View Post
    Alternate here too.

What would happen hypothetically if I turned down my alternate post? Would it effect my chances if I chose to apply again in the future?
    I don't think so. If a short-lister turns it down before they send in the reply form, they can reapply. I think as long as you do so before the point where you can be placed within an organisation, you should be okay?

Quote Originally Posted by RancidBadger View Post
    I don't think so. If a short-lister turns it down before they send in the reply form, they can reapply. I think as long as you do so before the point where you can be placed within an organisation, you should be okay?
    Thanks, I think I might just do that. I have another job on hold for teaching English in Sweden and I'm so damn tired of the waiting and uncertainty.

Good luck to all you other alternates!

I also think they will, in general, be more understanding for Alternates who turn it down than Short-Listers, as there is the obvious uncertainty involved.

For the UK, they do say that it is unlikely you will be upgraded past June.

Alternate here too, letter arrived at my permanent address before my other address so I don't have the letter yet but my mum opened it for me yesterday and told me what it said.
    I hate this waiting, it's horrible!

Also, I didn't get an email about missing papers so it probably was a batch error.

Alternates and Shortlisters, has anyone started estimating how much they're going to have to save yet? How much money are people thinking of taking with them?

Got my letter today... And I'm an Alternate myself. In a way I was expecting this as my interview went a bit sideways and it was crazy late.

Luckily I have the day off tomorrow so off to send the paperwork

Quote Originally Posted by Ocaoca View Post
    Alternates and Shortlisters, has anyone started estimating how much they're going to have to save yet? How much money are people thinking of taking with them?
    From what I have read it seems to depend on where you are placed (how much rent, key money needed etc.), I think I heard a rough estimate of around £1000-1500 to get started but take that with a pinch of salt. I'm quite lucky in that I had a really well paying job for a year and saved most of it, but then I may still not get a placement so it could be for naught.

I'm personally thinking about taking £2000, don't know what the recommended amount is though or anything! I'm guessing we won't get paid for a while after we arrive. How much were you thinking of taking?

Also, what banks are you guys with? I'm with HSBC and last time I was in japan (studying there for a year) I thought they were really good in terms of using your card internationally. For example, if you buy something in a shop or a restaurant using your debit card you don't get any charge and a great exchange rate! If you withdraw from an ATM there is a small charge, but you also get a good exchange rate.

I think, at least, it's worth looking into what charges your bank puts on international transactions because it can make a lot of difference.
    Last edited by Moso; April 7th, 2014 at 01:17.

GRM008 Financial Information.pdfGRM003 Health Information.pdf
    I have also applied with Interac (my interview is on friday) and they have sent me a whole lot of documentations about living/start up costs and pay etc. I have attached the financial information that they sent me, and i have also attached a useful general health one as well. If anyone needs anything else i can look through what they have sent me.

Quote Originally Posted by Moso View Post
    Also, what banks are you guys with? I'm with HSBC and last time I was in japan (studying there for a year) I thought they were really good in terms of using your card internationally. For example, if you buy something in a shop or a restaurant using your debit card you don't get any charge and a great exchange rate! If you withdraw from an ATM there is a small charge, but you also get a good exchange rate.

I think, at least, it's worth looking into what charges your bank puts on international transactions because it can make a lot of difference.
    I spoke to HSBC the other day thinking about setting up an account for both. They rung me through to the central office (as the guys in store had no idea) and i was told that HSBC have stopped doing this as they have stopped trading with Japan on the small scales. I have looked into Halifax and they do a 'clarity creditcard' which has no foreign exchange fee anywhere in the world and there's no fee for cash withdrawals, though you'll be charged interest at a fairly low 12.9% representative APR, even if repaid in full. This works out at around £1/month per £100 withdrawn. (Sourced from http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money)

Quote Originally Posted by sharpinthefang View Post
    I spoke to HSBC the other day thinking about setting up an account for both. They rung me through to the central office (as the guys in store had no idea) and i was told that HSBC have stopped doing this as they have stopped trading with Japan on the small scales. I have looked into Halifax and they do a 'clarity creditcard' which has no foreign exchange fee anywhere in the world and there's no fee for cash withdrawals, though you'll be charged interest at a fairly low 12.9% representative APR, even if repaid in full. This works out at around £1/month per £100 withdrawn. (Sourced from http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money)
    Really?! On the HSBC website there doesn't seem to be any distinction by country?
    Using a Card: how to use a Debit or Credit Card | HSBC UK

It's not too late to apply for Interac is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Oli0 View Post
    It's not too late to apply for Interac is it?
    No, they send people out year round, and are generally faster with responses. However, with them you have to pay for your own flights there and back.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpinthefang View Post
    No, they send people out year round, and are generally faster with responses. However, with them you have to pay for your own flights there and back.
    Thanks, that's what I thought. I guess I'll be applying for it as I still haven't heard anything from JET... such a pain to chase after references again!

Quote Originally Posted by Oli0 View Post
    Thanks, that's what I thought. I guess I'll be applying for it as I still haven't heard anything from JET... such a pain to chase after references again!
    All you have to do is provide the contact details of your references in the intial application! The interac application process is a lot quicker than JET - I received a reply to my application about 3 hours after sending it in!

Congratulations to all those who got in, for those waiting I wish you luck. Regarding money, I brought just shy of 1000 GBP (can`t find the pound sign on this keyboard), and this was more than enough to last until my first pay day. However I have been to Japan before and so didn`t blow through all my money like some people do. If you think you will go batshit crazy with money, bring more. Should note, I had to pay no key money and the like. Some, albeit rare, JETs have to pay key money. So just keep this in mind. 1000 was enough for me but I recommend between 1500-2000 if you really don`t want to worry.

It comes down to ESID. Some ALTs (and most CIRs) have to pay key money. If you are getting a car, you'll have to make your insurance payments, baggage delivery fee etc. I brought about ¥120,000, and didn't need all of it (I had no emergencies), but by the end of the first month (because you won't get paid for a month) I was starting to pinch pennies. My advice is to bring ¥200,000, in case of any emergencies. I didn't get my insurance card for about 2 months either, but had no reason to go to the doctor. Prices have also gone up (sales tax went up to 8% from 5%) so things might be a tiny bit more expensive for the new JETs.

ESID: Some ALTs get free houses that their BoE owns and don't even pay rent. Or your predecessor might have left your apartment covered in filth and the landlord might lie to your school about having cleaned it before you arrived so you have to move out but still pay key money and the initial deposit and then find a new apartment by yourself and end up paying it all over again for your new place.

Quote Originally Posted by Moso View Post
    All you have to do is provide the contact details of your references in the intial application! The interac application process is a lot quicker than JET - I received a reply to my application about 3 hours after sending it in!
    That's good, I think if I had to go through a job application even half as long and tedious as JET's I would lose the will to live.
    Rejection letter came in the post from JET this morning - it's no surprise, but still disappointing as I thought the interview was alright and I had a reasonable chance of at least getting made an alternate.

I thought I'd finally register on here seeing as I've been 'short listed'. Congratulations to all those that have been successful, the best of luck to those on the reserve list, and deepest commiserations to those that have been unsuccessful!