Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: post result paperwork

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

Default Re: post result paperwork

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow3 View Post
    In the copies we send to the JET office, do we include a copy of the fingerprints or just a copy of the application form?
    Ive given applicants the option to send me copies of prints or not. All i need is the proof you sent it in(application form.) But, its always best to check with your coordinator to make sure. Before doing so though, go through the list of instructions they gave you. Many answers can be found there. If you are still confused, go ahead and email them.

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow3 View Post
    In the copies we send to the JET office, do we include a copy of the fingerprints or just a copy of the application form?
    Last year when I sent in my alternate reply form to Boston, I did not include a copy of my prints.

Stupid question, but I printed out the reply form double sided because that's what my printer defaulted to and it wasn't specified in the e-mail/google doc the DC office sent me...is that going to affect the application? D:
    Last edited by Curious-Cat; April 6th, 2014 at 01:33.

Quote Originally Posted by Curious-Cat View Post
    Stupid question, but I printed out the reply form double sided because that's what my printer defaulted to and it wasn't specified in the e-mail/google doc the DC office sent me...is that going to affect the application? D:
    No problem unless otherwise specified by dc coordinators.

This is a UK question, but how strict are they about the passport photos?

You see, I got a new passport in mid-2013, but the interview prep said they needed to be less than six months old. In January 2014 they were slightly older, so rather than risk a fuss, I got new ones. (Plus they could see that I had the photo taken when I got my passport, so could date them).

Anyway, I now need two photos less than three months old for my reply. I have some spares from the January 2014 interview batch. They will, hopefully, be ever-so-slightly older than three months, and they could know this as I gave them one photo at my interview.

So, will those photos be fine, or should I not risk it? In case they look at my interview photo and realise that they are slightly older than three months?

Quote Originally Posted by RancidBadger View Post
    This is a UK question, but how strict are they about the passport photos?

You see, I got a new passport in mid-2013, but the interview prep said they needed to be less than six months old. In January 2014 they were slightly older, so rather than risk a fuss, I got new ones. (Plus they could see that I had the photo taken when I got my passport, so could date them).

Anyway, I now need two photos less than three months old for my reply. I have some spares from the January 2014 interview batch. They will, hopefully, be ever-so-slightly older than three months, and they could know this as I gave them one photo at my interview.

So, will those photos be fine, or should I not risk it? In case they look at my interview photo and realise that they are slightly older than three months?
    RancidBadger,

I am unsure about specific photo procedure in the U.K.

How different do you look from the pictures in your possession? If you look the same, same hair length, no big changes, it could be ok. Check with your coordinator though, just in case.

I accidentally sent in a form
    Last edited by aragorn; May 1st, 2014 at 16:47.

Quote Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
    I accidentally sent in for my 8802 form because it was one of the files in the google docs tab my coordinator sent me along with an instructions file for JETs. I'm an alternate. What should I do? If I am upgraded?
    If you are upgraded, there are no issues.

If you arent upgraded though, you will need to call the irs and cancel the submission. It normally takes about 3 weeks for them to process it. The reason is, you dont want the government to think you are living in japan when you arent. It can screw your taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by miamicoordinator View Post
    If you are upgraded, there are no issues.

If you arent upgraded though, you will need to call the irs and cancel the submission. It normally takes about 3 weeks for them to process it. The reason is, you dont want the government to think you are living in japan when you arent. It can screw your taxes.
    Okay, thank you. So if I am not upgraded in the next two weeks or so I should probably cancel it then?

Okay, thank you. So if I am not upgraded in the next two weeks or so I should probably cancel it then?
    Were you already charged the $85? Would be unfortunate if you were upgraded and had to file again. First wave of upgrades comes late April, when the deadline to reply to you being shortlisted passes. Before then, more than likely there won't be many upgrades (except prior JETs cancelling renewals, or possibly shortlisters notifying their consulates that they don't want the spot).

I'm not sure exactly what it would change on your taxes, but two weeks probably isn't enough time to know if you are going to be upgraded (that's only April 20th). Maybe Miamicoordinator can help you out a bit on this though, because I've never filed for the tax exemption before. Or you can call the IRS and see how it would change your taxes if you had plans to cancel the form at a later date. Of which the latter is probably a safer bet because it's their system, not JET's.
    Last edited by itsabird; April 6th, 2014 at 13:52.
    ⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa

I did electronic payment...three cheers for modernization :/

Definitely call the IRS and get their opinion. Itsabird is right in the sense that you don't want to have that 85 dollars go to waste. Since this is for this years taxes(which we file in April of 2015 anyway) I don't think waiting till June is going to cause any big problems. However, I am not a tax expert, so call the IRS and see if it would be a problem if you were to cancel the 8802 sometime in August.

So, is it advised for alternates to wait on obtaining the Certificate of U.S. Residency from the IRS? The email I received from my consulate said we should work on obtaining that and the FBI background check right away. Should I actually wait until I receive notice that I've been upgraded?

For Canadians who go through the RCMP - I just went on a Sunday and no lines - they had the whole thing ready for me in 20 minutes. I went through a suburban office though, so maybe go through there?! Very handy though!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CrouchingMouse View Post
    So, is it advised for alternates to wait on obtaining the Certificate of U.S. Residency from the IRS? The email I received from my consulate said we should work on obtaining that and the FBI background check right away. Should I actually wait until I receive notice that I've been upgraded?
    Originally we were informed to submit the 8802 form. Later it was clarified that we should not submit it just yet because it might mess up our taxes (unless we were already shortlisted, then it was okay) as well as cost us $85 that we might not have to spend. To be on the safe side, ask your consulate if you have to submit it prior to being upgraded or if you are only supposed to have it ready in the case that you do get upgraded from an alternate position.
    Last edited by itsabird; April 7th, 2014 at 02:56.
    ⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa

So about the IRS form... What exactly is its purpose? The instructions say that it is to be exempt from paying taxes in Japan. What if we would rather pay Japanese taxes on our income instead of paying USA taxes on Japanese income? Specifically, I ask, because I don't know if I can qualify for this form because I will have spent a year teaching in Korea, and have thus been technically a resident of Korea rather than a resident of the USA. So again, what EXACTLY is the purpose for us filling out this form? Help please! @_@

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by createdtodance7 View Post
    So about the IRS form... What exactly is its purpose? The instructions say that it is to be exempt from paying taxes in Japan. What if we would rather pay Japanese taxes on our income instead of paying USA taxes on Japanese income? Specifically, I ask, because I don't know if I can qualify for this form because I will have spent a year teaching in Korea, and have thus been technically a resident of Korea rather than a resident of the USA. So again, what EXACTLY is the purpose for us filling out this form? Help please! @_@

You will be exempt from paying taxes in Japan and in the US. You still have to file your taxes in the US, but you don't pay anything.

Would I even be eligible for this? I've just submitted a tax extension so that I can file after I've been in Korea for a year, thus exempting me from USA taxes on Korean income, which basically pleads myself as a resident of Korea, not the USA.

Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by createdtodance7 View Post
    Would I even be eligible for this? I've just submitted a tax extension so that I can file after I've been in Korea for a year, thus exempting me from USA taxes on Korean income, which basically pleads myself as a resident of Korea, not the USA.

I don't think anyone here will be able to answer that for you, you'll probably need to call the IRS.

Would it be better to email or call our coordinators with questions? I'm struggling with the dates for my IRS forms and would like to get them out tomorrow but my coordinator hasn't replied to any of my emails.