Page 1 of 50 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternates Hangout

Default Alternates Hangout

Hey y'all,
    I thought it'd be good to make this thread for Alternates for this year's JET intake. Post here with your consulate\embassy! That way we'll have a master list of everyone who has been alternated, and we can keep track of upgrades! Other than that, we can all co-miserate about the 9 months of waiting that we all have to look forward to.

Post so that I can add your name to the list, and if you get upgraded, let us know here as well so we can indicate that on the list as well. Good luck to everyone!

Alternate List JET 2014-2015

USA
    LaVie - Washington DC
    sparrosd - Washington DC
    CuriousCat - Washington DC
    AlternateCorey - Washington DC
    alternate - Washington DC
    moonbeam - Washington DC
    choco - Washington DC
    ichinichi - Washington DC *UPGRADED 4\17*
    BlaqkCat - Washington DC
    Buribree - Washington DC (CIR)

CrouchingMouse - Atlanta

firemarth - Detroit
    detroitalternate - Detroit

Caramel - Houston
    dstin - Houston *dropped out*
    Masada - Houston

ckrisp - Chicago *UPGRADED 5\6*

pjef - Nashville

itsabird - Miami *UPGRADED*
    PoorYorick - Miami *UPGRADED*

Nya-dy - Miami
    kokoro - Miami
    desudesudesu- Miami *UPGRADED*

kreak210 - Portland *UPGRADED*

sacredbonzai - Los Angeles

aragorn - San Francisco *UPGRADED 6\17*

midorichan10 - Honolulu *UPGRADED 4\21*

Canada
    GardenerGrover - Ottowa

Spman2099 - Toronto *UPGRADED 5\2*
    Snargflax - Toronto

Libellule - Calgary *UPGRADED 4\25*

afterwards - Vancouver
    Thet - Vancouver
    Hedgehoglove - Vancouver
    Alastor - Vancouver
    des - Vancouver *UPGRADED 6\16*

Caribbean
    loc'd

United Kingdom
    iphica - London
    buh - London
    AltDimension - London
    MilkBottle - London *UPGRADED 5\1*
    Illuria - London
    Shiro_Kuma - London
    sharpinthefang - London *dropped out*
    Este- London
    Matttheprat- London *UPGRADED 5\6*

tzvi - Manchester

AberdeenGus - Edinburgh
    Last edited by LaVie; June 20th, 2014 at 02:21.
    Alternate - Washington DC

Default Re: Alternates Hangout

Aw. I wanna hang out with you guys.
    Washington DC, Short-listed ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ <3

Quote Originally Posted by HorseFeathers View Post
    Aw. I wanna hang out with you guys.
    If I'm lucky, I'll be seeing you at Departure B in August :P

Reporting in from Atlanta. I was kind of depressed about it yesterday but I'm starting to feel a bit better now. Just have to keep telling myself it's not necessarily the end of the road yet.

Quote Originally Posted by CrouchingMouse View Post
    Reporting in from Atlanta. I was kind of depressed about it yesterday but I'm starting to feel a bit better now. Just have to keep telling myself it's not necessarily the end of the road yet.
    Keep your spirits up! Think of it this way - they want you, but don't have a spot for you (yet).

Nashville Alternate here.

Yeah, don't feel too bummed about being an alternate; it's not a bad place to be. There are a lot of ALTs around me who ended up coming over as alternates. Interestingly, two of 'em who were here last year were some of the coolest people I've met on JET; alas, they both only stuck around for one year.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

DC Alternate

This is probably not what you want to hear, but take heart - I was an alternate last year, and I never got my upgrade call. I was frustrated, disheartened, and seriously reconsidered applying again. I knew after coming SO CLOSE, I couldn't give up without trying just once more. I assessed my strengths & weaknesses and worked on the areas I felt needed improvement. During my second application process, all I could imagine were the negatives... and in the end, it turns out I'm shortlisted this year.

Some of you will be upgraded, but for those of you who aren't - take a few months away from JET & the process. Pick it up again after you've given yourself a little 'vacation' and proceed with your life. Whether or not you apply again, it's a huge accomplishment to get this far in the process. Congratulations, and if you apply again best of luck. The interview is 1,000 times better the second time around!
    I came here to laugh at you.

As alternates we are at the mercy of the Shorlisters. It makes me think of the reasons why someone that has been shortlisted would reject the offer.

Quote Originally Posted by pjef View Post
    As alternates we are at the mercy of the Shorlisters. It makes me think of the reasons why someone that has been shortlisted would reject the offer.
    I've already seen tumblr posts from people who are planning on declining their positions. Some people get overwhelmed by the prospect of living abroad, some people find better opportunities, decide to go to grad school, have family issues, etc. Some people will decline when they get their placement and decide that they don't want to live in the inaka. Some people may even "find love" or whatever and decide that they don't want to leave that person. And of course, some people will miss deadlines.
    Last edited by LaVie; April 3rd, 2014 at 11:13.

Quote Originally Posted by pjef View Post
    Better job offers at home, chickening out, not getting placed in Kabukicho... There are tons of reasons- not to mention the fact that people already in Japan can decide to leave at the last minute. Don't automatically assume it has to do with the location or school.
    Last edited by uthinkimlost?; April 3rd, 2014 at 11:16.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Funny thing is, once you get here alternate doesn't really matter. It's just damned depressing while you wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    Better job offers at home, chickening out, not getting placed in Kabukicho... There are tons of reasons- not to mention the fact that people already in Japan can decide to leave at the last minute. Don't automatically assume it has to do with the location or school.
    word

A friend of mine had applied from here in Japan and got accepted... but she also had just gotten a job offer in Tokyo, so she's probably gonna decline the JET placement.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

After lurking forever, I've finally decided to take the plunge and register.

I'm an alternate from Houston. The wait continues.

Alternate for Miami. Hopefully I'll be able to see all of you shortlisters at orientation. Actually, hopefully I'll be able to see all of you alternates at orientation as well! Good luck everyone. The waiting sucks, not knowing whether you'll eventually get in or if you'll have to reapply next year, and trying to decide whether or not you should apply to other programs just in case... But just keep your heads held high! And when you finally get that upgrade call, don't hesitate to accept if you're that serious about going!
    Last edited by itsabird; April 3rd, 2014 at 11:45.
    ⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa

Like miamicoordinator said, be sure to respond even if you're not hopeful about your prospects - every year there are people who would have been upgraded immediately but didn't fill in their alternate paperwork

Washington DC Alternate here.

I have to say that I'm pretty bummed about the lack of closure...at first I thought it might have been better to get a rejection, so I could move on. Chapter over, time to start another. I'm not 100% if I'll turn in my paperwork yet because I also landed an interview with Interac, but I'll feel better once I sleep on it. But you guys are a really supportive community. Thanks for immediately making a place to get encouragement. <3

Also - finding love is a stupid reason to decline. I've been dating the same guy for over 6 years (it will be 7 in May) and we survived my year-long study abroad. There were hiccups, but it wasn't impossible. If you have to give up your dreams to be with another person, it may cause resentment later...and shockingly, my relationship with my boyfriend was strengthened by our separation. However, our relationship is centered around companionship with physicality as an after-thought, so maybe we're just weird? Food for thought for those in relationships.

Quote Originally Posted by Curious-Cat View Post
    Also - finding love is a stupid reason to decline. I've been dating the same guy for over 6 years (it will be 7 in May) and we survived my year-long study abroad. There were hiccups, but it wasn't impossible. If you have to give up your dreams to be with another person, it may cause resentment later...and shockingly, my relationship with my boyfriend was strengthened by our separation. However, our relationship is centered around companionship with physicality as an after-thought, so maybe we're just weird? Food for thought for those in relationships.
    I'm with you. I've always wanted to apply for JET but couldn't bring myself to do it because it would mean leaving my boyfriend behind. But a lot of things happened recently and he moved to another country for work (for 2 - 3 years at least). This became my trigger to apply for JET, along with a number of other reasons, one of them being I no longer find my current work challenging. We have been dating for 7 years (the last 6 months being long distance) and I think it got to a point where we became complacent with our lives even though we were still young and we weren't really working towards any goals. Then again I don't think I could have maintained a long distance relationship in the early stages.
    Last edited by Shelia; April 3rd, 2014 at 14:42.

My boyfriend and I are also quite young (we'll be 22 later this year). This year we finally set up a semi-goal of working to be together later in life...up until I landed an interview with JET, we were always just drifting along. But we did establish that we would have broken up if I hadn't studied abroad - he's a comp-sci major and has time for practically zero social life. We were really big on spending a lot of time together before, but now I can go a week or two without seeing him and be okay with it. Odd how these things work out.