Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternates Hangout

Default Re: Alternates Hangout

Quote Originally Posted by CrouchingMouse View Post
    For some reason, I just don't have a lot of faith in this particular wave...I guess I can't imagine having come this far in the process and backing out just because you don't happen to get the placement you wanted. Though I suppose other things happen to make people decline too. I've gotten real pessimistic lately. Must be a coping mechanism. =p
    I wouldn't be too sure about that...

1. Just take a look at the Fukushima thread; there are still people that are super paranoid about Fukushima despite there being absolutely no evidence that suggest that it is unsafe (and there have been quite a few independent evaluations).

2. I have read many JETs state that they will not accept a position if they don't get the placement they want (some want to be close to their in-laws, others to their significant others, etc.)

3. Lastly, there will always be knobs looking to score a big city position. A quaint inaka isn't going to provide the night life they are dreaming of; moreover, they won't have as many Asian girls to cure their yellow fever. There are going to be plenty of bros that are simply not interested in teaching in a rural assignment.

I wouldn't be surprised if this wave was significantly more substantial than the previous one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    They're gonna burn you inside a giant wicker anpanman.

I say do JET. I'm not aware of your situation, but JET is a dream job in Japan. And a year or two away from the states as experience can only help in getting accepted to your Master's Program again. If you've been in school since you've been a child, like most of us, this is an opportunity to broaden your life and take perspective into your further education when you return.

Also. There are countless Master's Programs, countless. There is one
    JET. And in a world of increasingly competitive applicants every year, there is no guarantee you'll be accepted next time.
    Last edited by aragorn; May 18th, 2014 at 03:48.

I don't agree with Aragorn... I mean, getting into a good masters program is one thing, if you were a quality enough student I would expect you would be able to get into a good masters program, but getting the full ride is something else completely. I graduated with distinction from my program, I did quite well; still, I don't know how likely it is that I would be able to get a FULL scholarship to a good masters program. That seems like a pretty special opportunity...

JET will still be here in two years; more specifically, as Greyjoy already said, you will have an even stronger application next time you apply. Hell, it will give you more time to strengthen your application in any place that may have been weak. I don't think getting your masters degree is going to shut any doors.
    Last edited by spman2099; May 18th, 2014 at 06:52.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    They're gonna burn you inside a giant wicker anpanman.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzvi View Post
    Finally got a SAR response, any UK alternates know if it should just be one sheet that says there are no records for you on the PNC?
    That's all that I received too. I only got mine on Wednesday so posted it on Thursday. I think that's all it should be but I guess I'll hear back from JET soon enough if there's anything further they need.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

If I had a full ride for a masters I wouldn't even consider coming on jet. That's what... 35k saved at least? You can always apply to jet later.

Also remember this. If you were good enough to get jet once, you will be good enoughn to get it again later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzvi View Post
    Finally got a SAR response, any UK alternates know if it should just be one sheet that says there are no records for you on the PNC?
    Is this the same as the International Child Protection Certificate shortlisters had to get?

Mine just was an official looking piece of paper, with my photo in the corner and "No trace" written in bold across the middle, implying I had no criminal record on any database

That was it.

Congrats either way Kreak. Like the others have said, the Masters program is a bigger deal, especially if you have a major scholarship.

Maybe you could do Jet if you could defer acceptance to the program and the scholarship for one year. It might be nice if you feeling a little burnt out. However, under no circumstances would I turn down acceptance for Jet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    Congrats either way Kreak. Like the others have said, the Masters program is a bigger deal, especially if you have a major scholarship.

Maybe you could do Jet if you could defer acceptance to the program and the scholarship for one year. It might be nice if you feeling a little burnt out. However, under no circumstances would I turn down acceptance for Jet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It was only three years ago, but I remember pretty clearly you NEVER defer scholarships.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by spman2099 View Post
    1. Just take a look at the Fukushima thread; there are still people that are super paranoid about Fukushima despite there being absolutely no evidence that suggest that it is unsafe (and there have been quite a few independent evaluations).
    I've heard of BoEs having to go 3 or 4 alternates deep to get someone to accept the position. We had someone arrive in late November last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    It was only three years ago, but I remember pretty clearly you NEVER defer scholarships.
    I was never in a position to know so I'll take your word for it. Anyway, in that case the decision for me would be easy. Put off JET. I assume it'll only be worse if he accepts the shortlist position.

Late posting, but a Vancouver Alternate here! You can add me to the list.

Really hoping for word soon. My manager wants to train me for a promotion if I'm staying a year, and getting impatient as she needs to fill the position as soon as possible. She really wants me to be able to take it (though she also wants me to get JET and is super supportive) and I could use the pay and hour raise if I'm stuck here another year paying off student loans lol... but, might miss my chance because of JET :/ or pull a asshole move and get her to train me then leave right after training if I do get upgraded... But, I would never turn down JET at this point in my life - nothing I could do would compare to it. *sigh* oh the Alternate life.

I'm late here but I'm an alternate out of the LA consulate that has yet to be upgraded.

Alternate from Miami upgraded today!

Quote Originally Posted by PoorYorick View Post
    Alternate from Miami upgraded today!

Congratulations!!!

Thank you!
    Just a little concerned now. So much stuff to do. I also got engaged to my longtime girlfriend a few weeks ago, because I didn't think I would be upgraded--a new set of headache material!

Alternate from Miami upgraded as well! So excited! Pooryorick congratulations as well!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    ⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa

Quote Originally Posted by itsabird View Post
    Alternate from Miami upgraded as well! So excited! Pooryorick congratulations as well!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Yayyy! Glad the other Miami person on here got upgraded as well! Congrats!

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PoorYorick View Post
    Thank you!
    Just a little concerned now. So much stuff to do. I also got engaged to my longtime girlfriend a few weeks ago, because I didn't think I would be upgraded--a new set of headache material!
    Will you be married before july? If so, there are additional documents i need to send you. You should have told me this on the phone o.o

Nice Itsabird. And you've been stressing on this thread as long as anyone.

Banned

So what I'm seeing is that Miami notified their shortlisters of placement, and at least two people already bailed then? I guess we didn't have any Miami shortlisters before, but the placement thread has been awful quiet today so far. I've got nothing out of Atlanta yet.

Are you calling shortlisters and upgrades, miamicoordinator? I got a weird toll free call at about 8:30 this morning but it hung up as soon as I answered. I didn't call back because honestly I've been expecting an email.