Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 374344454647484950 LastLast

Thread: Alternates Hangout

Default Re: Alternates Hangout

It's not inaka rent. Not when you're living that close to Tokyo.

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    It's not inaka rent. Not when you're living that close to Tokyo.
    Granted, but it's not central city prices either.
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

I want inaka rent :/....
    ⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa

Banned

Do you not know what your rent is going to be yet, itsabird? I guess you can't really ask your predecessor, but haven't you talked to your BoE?

Or have they already told you and it's going to be too high?

I am in Saitama, It's not an absolute shitfest, but after a couple months here I can say most other places look far more interesting. It's like a flat suburb that never stops.

Rent is 500usd a month for a Leo Shoebox

Quote Originally Posted by BlaqkCat View Post
    Anyone else from DC regretting doing their interview there? =P
    I'm super late (I had to remove myself from all things JET for a bit) but YES. I regret it so much. I've already decided that I will not be going to DC again. I can never be sure that going to DC was one of the reasons I didn't get accepted, but I'm not going to take that chance again. Everyone else from my school went to Atlanta instead and all but 1 were accepted (both this year and last year). On the flip side, anyone I know who went to DC was not accepted (both this year and last year). I realize that there are many, many factors that come into play, but if I can increase my chances of getting accepted even a little, I'll go to another consulate instead.

On another note, I know that you're not supposed to compare yourself to others (look into your own cup, yada yada), but I haven't been able to help it when it comes to JET. Nine other people that I know personally were accepted, one as a CIR. Essentially everyone I know who applied got accepted but me. It's one thing knowing that a bunch of strangers were accepted, but knowing people who took the same classes, did the same study abroad program, etc. were accepted while I wasn't makes it much more real. I really wish it didn't matter to me this much lol

Quote Originally Posted by buribree View Post
    I'm super late (I had to remove myself from all things JET for a bit) but YES. I regret it so much. I've already decided that I will not be going to DC again. I can never be sure that going to DC was one of the reasons I didn't get accepted, but I'm not going to take that chance again. Everyone else from my school went to Atlanta instead and all but 1 were accepted (both this year and last year). On the flip side, anyone I know who went to DC was not accepted (both this year and last year). I realize that there are many, many factors that come into play, but if I can increase my chances of getting accepted even a little, I'll go to another consulate instead.

On another note, I know that you're not supposed to compare yourself to others (look into your own cup, yada yada), but I haven't been able to help it when it comes to JET. Nine other people that I know personally were accepted, one as a CIR. Essentially everyone I know who applied got accepted but me. It's one thing knowing that a bunch of strangers were accepted, but knowing people who took the same classes, did the same study abroad program, etc. were accepted while I wasn't makes it much more real. I really wish it didn't matter to me this much lol
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406274954.261040.jpg

Why don't you start looking at what they did for their application that you didn't do. Call them up! Ask to see their SOP, ask them what they listed as hobbies, cultural experiences, etc. How did they handle the interview.

No trying to be a jerk, but I am being honest for your own good. I doubt it was just the location that set you guys apart. Sure you have the same experiences, but how did they present those experiences?

Upgraded out of Ottawa as of yesterday! Don't lose hope, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by ihatefall View Post

Why don't you start looking at what they did for their application that you didn't do. Call them up! Ask to see their SOP, ask them what they listed as hobbies, cultural experiences, etc. How did they handle the interview.

No trying to be a jerk, but I am being honest for your own good. I doubt it was just the location that set you guys apart. Sure you have the same experiences, but how did they present those experiences?
    I definitely didn't think you were being a jerk. That's all very good advice that I plan on taking when I start working on the next application. I never actually thought it was just the location alone, I know that my interview wasn't the greatest. I was really nervous, my Japanese was awkward (no good for CIR), and I didn't even like some of my answers. Haha I'm just in the "sucks to be rejected" phase before I get back on my feet. Thanks for the good advice!

Edit: The picture, though. I'm allowed to whine (a little) and be sad about it as long as I do something about it in the future. Which I plan to do.
    Last edited by buribree; July 25th, 2014 at 21:09.

Quote Originally Posted by buribree View Post
    I definitely didn't think you were being a jerk. That's all very good advice that I plan on taking when I start working on the next application. I never actually thought it was just the location alone, I know that my interview wasn't the greatest. I was really nervous, my Japanese was awkward (no good for CIR), and I didn't even like some of my answers. Haha I'm just in the "sucks to be rejected" phase before I get back on my feet. Thanks for the good advice!
    Good to hear!
    Cheers to 2015!

Quote Originally Posted by GardenerGrover View Post
    Upgraded out of Ottawa as of yesterday! Don't lose hope, everyone!
    I'd pretty much peaced out of this thread (thinking about reapplying next year) but glad to hear of another upgrade! Congrats!

So...for those of us who haven't been upgraded: What're your current plans? Reapplying next year? Grad schools? Other jobs?

Personally, I don't think I'll be reapplying to JET next year, as I've taken a position as a foreign teaching assistant in France. Maybe Interac will be possible, or JET the year after.
    Alternate - Washington DC

Quote Originally Posted by LaVie View Post
    So...for those of us who haven't been upgraded: What're your current plans? Reapplying next year? Grad schools? Other jobs?

Personally, I don't think I'll be reapplying to JET next year, as I've taken a position as a foreign teaching assistant in France. Maybe Interac will be possible, or JET the year after.
    Won't be reapplying. I need to focus on finding a permanent career now, rather than a quick fling in Japan. I was really hoping to be upgraded, but putting my life on hold for nine months and getting nothing out of it...yeah, I don't want to do that again.

Quote Originally Posted by LaVie View Post

I'd like to reapply but not sure about whether I should do it next year or not. I've just got a new job in London so I'll be moving shortly. I'm going to see how I get on with that job and then come October, see whether I want to give JET another go.

Quote Originally Posted by Este View Post
    I'd like to reapply but not sure about whether I should do it next year or not. I've just got a new job in London so I'll be moving shortly. I'm going to see how I get on with that job and then come October, see whether I want to give JET another go.
    I've just started a new job in London and although I'm employed in a permanent role, my manager is happy to support my application to the programme once more. As much as I'd rather be out there already, I'm determined to be out there this time next year - either through JET or Interac.

For me, JET or Japan represents a number of things: the biggest of which is developing my communication & presentation skills. Something I feel I've always been lacking is my presentation skills and going to Japan would not only enable me to develop those but I'd also be able to travel, learn a second language, make new friends etc etc.

Coming back to the UK after being out there for a couple of years and getting a job again is a concern of mine but I don't think it's be all that tough. I feel like it's now or never, I'm not tied down by anything right now and this is the only time I could ever do something like this. So I will!

Well, someone is still going to get upgraded. Someone in my friend's town got sick and decided to go home early and just told the BOE yesterday. (Even though he had made up his mind 2 weeks ago.)

Someone is leaving my prefecture in a few weeks. They announced it on Facebook in the past few days. There's still some hope yet!

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

But why are they leaving? That's the question...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

Because shoxx probably.
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

Maybe... But what if it's wolves?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.