Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternates Hangout

Default Re: Alternates Hangout

Ottawa Alternate here.

UK Alternate here

Edit: London, specifically (my ability to not follow instructions does not bode well for all this paperwork)
    Last edited by iphica; April 5th, 2014 at 19:11.

UK Alternate!! London too.....
    Yeah alternates! High fives for not being totally rejected! haha

Hi, everyone! Another alternate from DC here-- I know of one person who was shortlisted and five fellow alternates from my area. Was a little bummed, but I'm glad that we get to bond with other alternates. It's nice to meet all of you. (^∇^)
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ichinichi View Post
    Was a little bummed,
    Aye, it is a bit of a hard blow at first...

but I'm glad that we get to bond with other alternates. It's nice to meet all of you. (^∇^)
    Likewise! Best of luck with the upgrades to come! A lot of DC alternates... I wonder if everything went over smoothly over there... Not nearly as many alternates from everywhere else (on the forums at least).

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    ⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa

Quote Originally Posted by itsabird View Post
    Aye, it is a bit of a hard blow at first...

Likewise! Best of luck with the upgrades to come! A lot of DC alternates... I wonder if everything went over smoothly over there... Not nearly as many alternates from everywhere else (on the forums at least).

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Yeah I'm starting to get worried about this. xD

DC Alternates...we might have to settle this à la Battle Royale soon.
    In the meantime, I'm secretly hoping that alot of DC shortlisters\alternates will get nice jobs in the city and decide that they don't want to go.
    Last edited by LaVie; April 6th, 2014 at 00:23.
    Alternate - Washington DC

Quote Originally Posted by Wasabi View Post
    Caramel - I know of someone from Boston who was an alternate last year and is married. She was upgraded in July.
    Oh, yeah I'm sure of it--though July would be a bit too late for me, as I'd hope to have an actual future plan by then!

What is everyone's personal deadline? I'd say mine is late June.
    Alternate 2014 | Houston

Quote Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
    Oh, yeah I'm sure of it--though July would be a bit too late for me, as I'd hope to have an actual future plan by then!

I'm planning on staying in until the end... Hopefully it doesn't take that long to be upgraded though.

Main problem with being an alternate so long is you don't know what to do for the upcoming months, because you need a real job after leaving university, but you also don't want to land a job and then have to leave because you want JET more and were just upgraded. It's a tough predicament...
    ⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa

Quote Originally Posted by Caramel View Post

Haven't really decided yet...maybe around mid-late June as well. While I want to hold out hope for an upgrade, I think doing that'll drive me crazy. Of course I'll keep JET on the table, but I'm going to consider this other job that I got and consider a few other options for either getting to Japan or resumé building.
    Alternate - Washington DC

Caribbean alternate here.

I'm like a unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by loc'd View Post
    I'm like a unicorn
    Last edited by itsabird; April 6th, 2014 at 00:59.
    ⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa

I guess I'll hold out till the end. I have a temp job lined up until the end of September, and by then it'll be nearly time to apply for the next year.

London alternate here. Just got the letter today. It's both depressing and encouraging at the same time, and really frustrating to be stuck in this state of limbo.

I think I'll hold out until August. I can pack on short notice, but I'm also in the application process for a job with Interac. Definitely not my ideal job, since all costs come out of pocket and there aren't really any benefits, but I wouldn't be departing until late August with them. The only downside is I can't pre-reg for Otakon unless I know for sure...and if I back-out too late with Interac, it will look bad...

I'll say it again, I'm really concerned with the number of alternates in the DC area. I'm wondering how it stacks against last year...Because I know one of my interviewers came across as really condescending and asked me really hard questions. The first of which was something like, "how would you explain to a Japanese coworker why the US dropped the atomic bomb on them in WWII?" and the other was "Japanese women tend to hold servile roles in the workplace and often serve tea/food to their male coworkers, who do not take part. How would you respond if your coworkers complained you weren't fulfilling your duties properly?"

Quote Originally Posted by Curious-Cat View Post
    I think I'll hold out until August. I can pack on short notice, but I'm also in the application process for a job with Interac. Definitely not my ideal job, since all costs come out of pocket and there aren't really any benefits, but I wouldn't be departing until late August with them. The only downside is I can't pre-reg for Otakon unless I know for sure...and if I back-out too late with Interac, it will look bad... "
    Im the same, I also have an interview with Interac on friday, heres hoping it goes well.

I will most likely stick it out til the end, wishfully thinking. The embassy seemed to have a lot more interviewees than an average consulate (our waiting room was huge and there were at least 20 interviewees waiting during mine), so I think that's why the number of alternates from DC appear to be high.
    Using Tapatalk

Good luck! Mine isn't until the 26th...so glad it's a Saturday, because I have class on Fridays...D:

I'm an alternate and I interviewed through the Miami consulate. I'll be staying in the process until the end, when I think about the amount of time, preparation, and money spent to make it to this point I owe it to myself to use the chance I'm given. I've heard that in Miami there were less short-listers than they expected which led to an unusually long alternate list. I have no idea if this situation extends to other consulates or JET as a whole.

What I do know is that it doesn't do me any good to obsess over acceptance statistics and probability, even if that's my instinct. Other than getting my paperwork in (which I already have) there is no longer any part of this process I can affect. I gave the most effort possible for the parts I could work on and now it's all someone else's decision. What I can do is pursue other options, strengthen my application for next year, and be prepared to go if I get that magic phone call. Best of luck to everyone!

I will most likely stick it out til the end, wishfully thinking. The embassy seemed to have a lot more interviewees than an average consulate (our waiting room was huge and there were at least 20 interviewees waiting during mine), so I think that's why the number of alternates from DC appear to be high.
    In theory, I would assume that the proportion should be roughly the same....and I feel like West Coast consulates get a lot of more applicants because of their proximity to Japan and a large number of conventions celebrating Japanese culture, but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Curious-Cat View Post
    In theory, I would assume that the proportion should be roughly the same....and I feel like West Coast consulates get a lot of more applicants because of their proximity to Japan and a large number of conventions celebrating Japanese culture, but I could be wrong.
    You have a point there. I feel that there are a lot more alternates this year than last year...
    Using Tapatalk