Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternates Hangout

Default Re: Alternates Hangout

Quote Originally Posted by Illuria View Post
    The medical I'm worrying about. As far as I'm aware, the chest x-ray won't be covered under the NHS and could cost a fortune -_-
    I just spoke to my GP today, It's costing me £70 for the "check up" and a further £90 for the X-ray...

Quote Originally Posted by ChristinaKeke View Post
    I just spoke to my GP today, It's costing me £70 for the "check up" and a further £90 for the X-ray...
    It can be pretty pricey for the check ups! I'm fortunate enough to work in a private hospital so I'm able to get my check ups for free!

Remember in the absence of an x-ray you can have your G.P. give a more detailed report; I would recommend getting the x-ray though!

Quote Originally Posted by ChristinaKeke View Post
    I'll have to ring my surgery and get a proper idea of costs.

Dang it... I knew something like this would happen!

EDIT: Yup your cost is bang on. Depending on the tests my GP will charge anything between £40-90. The X-Ray will be done at the GP's discretion. So if she deems it unnecessary she will just fill out a detailed report instead. Plus results will take 7 working days so I sincerely hope she doesn't screw it up for me!
    Last edited by Shiro_Kuma; April 8th, 2014 at 23:26.

Does anyone know if we will be given official notification when the consulate receives our paperwork?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    They're gonna burn you inside a giant wicker anpanman.

Quote Originally Posted by spman2099 View Post
    Does anyone know if we will be given official notification when the consulate receives our paperwork?
    I doubt it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    ⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa

I'm not sure how the post works where you are, but in the USA you can pay a fee for "certified mail" with the option of a return receipt. I've been tracking it and when it is delivered to my consulate, the post office will send the slip back to me confirming that it's been delivered.
    Alternate - Washington DC

Quote Originally Posted by LaVie View Post
    I'm not sure how the post works where you are, but in the USA you can pay a fee for "certified mail" with the option of a return receipt. I've been tracking it and when it is delivered to my consulate, the post office will send the slip back to me confirming that it's been delivered.
    Ahhh... The benefits of hand delivering my paperwork... Cheers!

⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa

Well, I know that in Toronto, the Consulate will eventually send out an email upon reception of the forms. It takes a couple days. When I sent my reply forms off at the post, I asked for a Signature Upon Receipt option and tracking number. But while that's all well and good, I'll only breathe my sigh of relief when I get that email from the Consulate themselves.

I should have done certified mail, but my local post office closed just before I got there on Saturday, so I just dropped it into the box. X/

Question though - I know DC alternates don't need to get the health check unless they're upgraded...it says you can get a TB test OR a chest x-ray, so is it possible just to get the cheaper one done?

Quote Originally Posted by Curious-Cat View Post
    I should have done certified mail, but my local post office closed just before I got there on Saturday, so I just dropped it into the box. X/

Question though - I know DC alternates don't need to get the health check unless they're upgraded...it says you can get a TB test OR a chest x-ray, so is it possible just to get the cheaper one done?
    I certainly hope so.
    Washington, DC Alternate~

Quote Originally Posted by Yarilo View Post
    Well, I know that in Toronto, the Consulate will eventually send out an email upon reception of the forms. It takes a couple days. When I sent my reply forms off at the post, I asked for a Signature Upon Receipt option and tracking number. But while that's all well and good, I'll only breathe my sigh of relief when I get that email from the Consulate themselves.
    That is what I was hoping. I tracked my forms, and they arrived this morning, but I was just hoping that I would get some kind of notification that would inform me that everything is in order.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    They're gonna burn you inside a giant wicker anpanman.

I never got notifications to tell me everything was done correctly, so don't worry.

Steve, the coordinator in Vancouver, told us that we shouldn't be afraid to call or send an email if we have questions or concerns. So you should consider doing that if you're worried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Vancouver Alternate checking in here. Locked and loaded and ready to go - like literally, ready to go. I'm so over the waiting! But at least I can come hang out with some cool kats here.

Quote Originally Posted by Thet View Post
    Vancouver Alternate checking in here. Locked and loaded and ready to go - like literally, ready to go. I'm so over the waiting! But at least I can come hang out with some cool kats here.
    Oh. What's that? Don't want to wait anymore? Don't be ridiculous! You're an alternate! Welcome to the group !

⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa

Quote Originally Posted by itsabird View Post
    Oh. What's that? Don't want to wait anymore? Don't be ridiculous! You're an alternate! Welcome to the group !

Ha! Thanks. You'd think I'd be a seasoned pro in the whole waiting thing by now, but I'm still pretty much like a three year old who wants dessert. Good thing dessert solves all waiting problems... right?

Ha! Thanks. You'd think I'd be a seasoned pro in the whole waiting thing by now, but I'm still pretty much like a three year old who wants dessert. Good thing dessert solves all waiting problems... right?
    So far I've found that just accepting you'll be waiting for the wait to be over is the best way to overcome the wait for an upgrade. But then instead of waiting for an upgrade, you're now waiting for the waiting for an upgrade to pass... Those mind games...

⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa

Quote Originally Posted by itsabird View Post
    So far I've found that just accepting you'll be waiting for the wait to be over is the best way to overcome the wait for an upgrade. But then instead of waiting for an upgrade, you're now waiting for the waiting for an upgrade to pass... Those mind games...

Fortunately I've decided to do Camp NaNoWriMo this month because writing a ridiculous number of words in a short time is an easy way to forget about everything. I actually decided to do it to make the waiting easier - and then the results came in way before I was expecting them. I sent my paperwork off today, so now there's nothing I can do but go on with life and keep pretending that I'm not waiting.

Almost everything gets solved by dessert! (Well it solves most of mine anyway, but it does give you a different weighting issue as a side effect if not careful )

Side note, got a reply on my email that they are processing my SAR1 form starting today. So that's a good sign on one front. Was worth sending it as Next Day Delivery.

Now.. If only the medical was as straight forward...

Hi all!

Another UK alternate here. I was disappointed, as we all were, to be put on the reserve list but I guess it's better than an all out no. I sent off my SAR form yesterday and sent my reply form back to JET. I've booked in to see my Doctor on Monday morning so will update here with costs for everything. Hopefully it's not too pricey!

My sister did JET several years ago and she was originally an alternate. She got the upgrade call early May and was actually placed in her prefered area. It was probably a matter of luck but there's still hope!

woahh....
    I'm a bit apprehensive about the medical. My favourite doctor recently left the surgery and the only nice one left is a dude. Am I gonna have to get my boobs out? Is this gonna be awkward?