Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternates Hangout

Default Re: Alternates Hangout

Thanks Tzvi & Este!!

Quote Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
    JET is a dream job in Japan. And a year or two away from the states as experience can only help in getting accepted to your Master's Program again. If you've been in school since you've been a child, like most of us, this is an opportunity to broaden your life and take perspective into your further education when you return.

Also. There are countless Master's Programs, countless. There is one
    JET. And in a world of increasingly competitive applicants every year, there is no guarantee you'll be accepted next time.
    I think JET is def a cool experience but calling it a "dream job" is kind of a stretch. It pays marginally higher than most other ESL positions in Japan but on average lower than what's available in Korea. You're just assisting a "real" teacher, and really throughout Asia ESL teachers are kind of the lowest rung of Western foreign worker since it typically requires the lowest amount of skill; you just need a degree in the competitive discipline of Anything-At-All and the ability to speak the language you've naturally acquired since infancy.

There are a lot of Master's programs but it all depends how competitive the one he has gotten into is. If it's a program that's even slightly difficult to get into and he's got a full scholarship I think it's a no-brainer to take the Master's. Unless he's planning on a career teaching English, JET isn't really that great for the resume, and even if education was his field getting an M.Ed would be much more valuable than being an ALT.

Again I do think JET is a cool thing to do, and I think it's valuable to experience other cultures which is why I applied. But there does seem to be this "JET reality distortion field" where it's perceived as the Grand Pinnacle of All Employment, when it's really a fairly entry level position with a commensurate salary and virtually no possible upward mobility.

There are countless ESL jobs, countless. JET has some cachet since it's administered through the Japanese government, and they do force you jump through a ton of hoops in typical government bureaucracy style to get the job, but at the end of the day I suspect your heady duties are going to be related to pressing play on CD player when Sensei Nihonjin gives the signal, which you can do for higher pay in Korea, or perhaps slightly lower pay for any number of other employers in Japan.

Pimpin wenches aint easy BeckyJones's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by snargflax View Post
    I think JET is def a cool experience but calling it a "dream job" is kind of a stretch.

throughout Asia ESL teachers are kind of the lowest rung of Western foreign worker since it typically requires the lowest amount of skill

There are countless ESL jobs, countless.

but at the end of the day I suspect your heady duties are going to be related to pressing play on CD player when Sensei Nihonjin gives the signal,
    just quoting you in case people wanted an abridged version. This is pretty spot on advice. JET and teaching in Japan is a cool job, but "dream" it isn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

It's a dream job if your dream is "get to Japan by any means necessary and assume your life will just become amazing once that happens".

Unless pay jumped insanely over the past few years it isn't higher in Korea. Most of the jobs which pay as high as jet in Korea normally require insane working hours, strange schedules, require high qualification for an ALT job, or some other bizarre requirement added on.
    Last edited by jwkelley; May 21st, 2014 at 09:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Pay is higher in Korea?
    Suddenly Jiggit is reevaluating his life choices

Korea ≠ Japan for one. Yes, JET may not be "that great for a resume" but if that's the tipping point for excluding it from contention against another degree program than that seems weak. If upward mobility and future financial security is most desired than why apply for JET in the first place? Sometimes it's best to live for now.

I think a graduate degree is probably def a cool experience, but there's always time for that. But if he doesn't want to wait for his MA then you're right he should do that. And if he contracts a terminal illness in two years, well at least he can say he made the most of his education right?

Default Alternates Hangout

Pay is not higher in Korea. Certainly not at the starting rate for a first year. It may, at times, seem higher only because you get paid 2.1million won per month without worrying about rent. Take home pay is about 1.8 million won per month after health insurance and pension and utilities. If I'm not mistaken, JET offers more per month. You have to pay for rent in many cases, but the difference in salary more than covers that expense. And you get more vacation time, better working hours, and less of a stressful schedule.

And, to agree with Aragorn.... Korea is not an extension of Japan. They are two very different countries, contrary to popular belief.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by createdtodance7; May 21st, 2014 at 11:19.
    Using Tapatalk

Korea ≠ Japan for one. Yes, JET may not be "that great for a resume" but if that's the tipping point for excluding it from contention against another degree program than that seems weak. If upward mobility and future financial security is most desired than why apply for JET in the first place? Sometimes it's best to live for now.

I think a graduate degree is probably def a cool experience, but there's always time for that. But if he doesn't want to wait for his MA then you're right he should do that. And if he contracts a terminal illness in two years, well at least he can say he made the most of his education right?
    By those standards, you might as well drop trousers and run down the street screaming for someone to oil your loins.

A master's degree opens lots of doors abroad. LOTS. Wait two years, and suddenly you're worth more and can get into more places, while Gary Gaijin has sat in his 1ldk and frittered away his pay on hostess bars for two years.

In a lot of ways, JET is the route of the impatient and lazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

1.8million won? can you even live on that? I spend more than that on camera lenses and scotch each month.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

1.8million won? can you even live on that? I spend more than that on camera lenses and scotch each month.
    It's more than enough to drown your sorrows in cheap soju and spend lavishly on wild nights out/in. Food is cheap, transportation is cheap, alcohol is dirt cheap, but the dating scene is FREAKING EXPENSIVE. There are so many couples holidays to throw your paycheck towards that it's got to be a corporate conspiracy
    Last edited by par92186; May 21st, 2014 at 11:40.
    Quote Originally Posted by BeckyJones
    you will soon learn... Imagine the worst people you knew in college. Now imagine them trying to continue their college life in another country, constantly talking shit about each other and their foreign country like it is shit... only to be the shittiest of the bunch.

now imagine the people who don't fit into that, and are actually shittier.... that is ITIL.

hmmm looking on the apple store it seems 1.8million won isn't going to buy you many shiny aluminium apple products. thats the only measure of cost of living i trust.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Korea ≠ Japan for one.
    I'm guessing you havn't been to either?

Food is better in Korea... and shit is cheaper, also they have far cooler nerds. Other than that, they be pretty similar.

I say this as a Korean American, who has lived in Japan for like... forever, and I've been to SK at least 20 times.
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Oh yes, the food. I'm partial to Japanese personally, the Kobe beef, okonomiyaki, sushi. But enjoy your gaegogi Mrs. Jones. To each their own.

Yeah, korean food is great.

Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Default Alternates Hangout

Oh yes, the food. I'm partial to Japanese personally, the Kobe beef, okonomiyaki, sushi. But enjoy your gaegogi Mrs. Jones. To each their own.
    Agreed. There is some pretty delicious Korean food out there, and I certainly have my favorites. But I also prefer Japanese food, hands down.

I also think the experience of living in either country as a foreigner (rather than as a mixed Korean) is very different comparatively. But a foreigner's experience will be very different from a Korean's.

Using Tapatalk

This, for example. A surprising map of the countries that are most and least welcoming to foreigners

Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by createdtodance7 View Post
    But a foreigner's experience will be very different from a Korean's.
    I'm american, not Korean. I've never lived there, but only gone to visit family. Yes both countries are different, but both countries have a lot more in common than you would think. Hell my Japanese wife thinks the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by createdtodance7 View Post
    Agreed. There is some pretty delicious Korean food out there, and I certainly have my favorites. But I also prefer Japanese food, hands down.

I also think the experience of living in either country as a foreigner (rather than as a mixed Korean) is very different comparatively. But a foreigner's experience will be very different from a Korean's.

I've lived in both countries, and outside of the actual work place, you're treated about the same.

Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.