Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 32383940414243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternates Hangout

Default Re: Alternates Hangout

Quote Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
    Thank you. And thanks to Miamicoordinator for being so diligent in answering our questions in this alternate confusion. I'm wondering, Itsabird or any recent upgrade, how soon after you were upgraded did you find out placement?
    congrats. I was upgraded on the 19th and found out on the 11th. so almost a month. Probably will be a little shorter for you since MC was out of the office. But I'm sure there'll still be some wait.

I hope you get a placement you'll enjoy!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    ⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa

Andddd mc beat me to the punch.

⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by itsabird View Post
    Andddd mc beat me to the punch.

^_^/

Quote Originally Posted by hedgehoglove View Post
    Congrats Des! Crossing my fingers that the Vancouver consulate gets a bunch of special upgrades or that shortlisters start declining those placements! There's still hope!!
    Thank you! My fingers are crossed for you guys too! There is definitely hope! <3

Quote Originally Posted by buh View Post
    Congratulations on the upgrade!! I'm just updating on my other program - they just called me out of the blue at 7:30 and woke me up hah... they decided to interview me on the phone then and there while i was in bed... i didn't know what was going on to be honest so those chances are fucked now. i'm exhausted i'm staying in bed forever
    just an update, that i'm staying in bed forever
    Thank you and oh boy o.O that sounds kind of scary... being interviewed in bed would be an interesting experience... But I bet you did fine!

I was upgraded today!!! What a rush! After I moped and moped lol! Upgraded 6-17-2014
    Congratz Aragorn!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ckrisp View Post
    Congrats aragorn and Des! So excited for you both!
    Quote Originally Posted by vidorra View Post
    Congrats you two! Hope there's more upgrade news coming in. Oh and thanks miamicoordinator for answering my question!
    Quote Originally Posted by sparrosd View Post
    Congratulations to the both of you!

Thanks Ckrisp, Sparrosd, and Yidorra!

(P.S: sorry for all the quotes. Thought it'd be better to respond in one post rather than in multiple >.<)
    Last edited by Des; June 19th, 2014 at 04:21.

I was upgraded today!!! What a rush! After I moped and moped lol! Upgraded 6-17-2014
    Congrats and welcome to the SF group!

So is it safe to assume that upgrades are still coming in? Or did the second wave already pass us by?

Just jumping in to say that "apparently" there is an Alternate from Oregon that is replacing me. If that's any of you, message me! :P

Quote Originally Posted by hro52 View Post
    So is it safe to assume that upgrades are still coming in? Or did the second wave already pass us by?
    Perhaps... but, it feels kinda off (and a little discouraging) that there were a few upgrades from people on this forum. I'm just wondering if anyone got upgraded from the Denver consulate. I got a summer job back in Atlanta just to build up some money for myself. Though now, I'm planning to meet with employers to see if I can get a stable job with my degree. We can hold on to hope, but we shouldn't go crazy. (easier said than done, I know)

I think someone said on Facebook that were were fewer positions opened this year - fewer positions means fewer shortlisters and eventually fewer upgrades, with the exception of Tokyo (adding 100 new positions will do that.) - I think last year had 200-some in the TO I went to, and had 24ish new ALTs in my prefecture. This year there are only 14 positions open in the prefecture (again, AFAIK.)

Edited for the sake of proscriptivists everywhere.
    Last edited by webstaa; June 19th, 2014 at 14:15.

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

Genuinely not trying to be an arse - fewer positions open. It's an easy one to forget, but good practice to remember.

Edit: That's me.

Better me point it out on a forum than someone you have to teach alongside point it out in a lesson. And good luck, everybody - I know a couple of very late upgrades from the intake last year, so there is still hope.
    Last edited by SomePeopleJustSaySnow; June 19th, 2014 at 23:10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

Oh my god, congrats Des and Aragorn! Super psyched for both of you! I bet you're both over the moon! Well done!

It's definitely nice to hear about some more people from here getting upgraded but I'm not holding out much hope for the UK anymore. It's been pretty quiet this past month.

Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    I think someone said on Facebook that were were fewer positions opened this year - fewer positions means fewer shortlisters and eventually fewer upgrades, with the exception of Tokyo (adding 100 new positions will do that.) - I think last year had 200-some in the TO I went to, and had 24ish new ALTs in my prefecture. This year there are only 14 positions open in the prefecture (again, AFAIK.)

Edited for the sake of proscriptivists everywhere.
    We had more positions this year than last year from the u.s. Last year, there were 884 new JETs from the States. (http://www.jetprogramme.org/e/introd...tatistics.html)

We had over 900 original short listers this year(something like 914 if my memory serves me correctly), which doesnt include all the upgrades that have happened. Miami alone has had 14 upgrades. Those 14 positions were new spots that were opened that were not accounted for when the original shortlist candidates were sent out. I think we have closer to 1000 first year people honestly, but we won't know the exact number till later.
    Last edited by miamicoordinator; June 19th, 2014 at 22:28. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by hro52 View Post
    We have had 2 upgrades in the past 2 weeks, so they are still going on.

Yay congratulations to the new upgrades!! Sorry for being so pessimistic before, I got out of bed and I found out yesterday that I got accepted to my other programme!! So once I book my flights I'll be telling Jet to take me off the list. Maybe Jet will take me some other time. I hope everyone here gets an upgrade and that everyone has a great time (:

Yay congratulations to the new upgrades!! Sorry for being so pessimistic before, I got out of bed and I found out yesterday that I got accepted to my other programme!! So once I book my flights I'll be telling Jet to take me off the list. Maybe Jet will take me some other time. I hope everyone here gets an upgrade and that everyone has a great time (:
    interac?

⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa

Congrats buh! Great news - hope you have an amazing time!

Thank you Este!!! itsabird, I'm going to Korea with the Talk Programme
    Last edited by buh; June 20th, 2014 at 00:59.

Congrats!!! I hope you have a wonderful time.

Thanks sparrosd! (Nice matoki by the way )

So, I realize it's really late to become involved in this thread, but I fell off ITIL after finding out I was an alternate. Months later I started getting curious and found this thread, but LaVie said no more adding names, so I didn't bother and just lurked. I had pretty much given up all hope for JET. A week ago today I got the call - another Miami upgrade!