Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternates Hangout

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

Default Re: Alternates Hangout

Quote Originally Posted by Curious-Cat View Post
    miamicoordinator - It suddenly occurred to me...Are alternates upgraded from the same area as the short-listed people that declined or can they be pulled from anywhere in the country? My initial impression was that they were pulled from anywhere in the US, so I was pretty discouraged, but if they're pulled from the same consulate the short-listed applied to, I feel like chances of being upgraded are higher (even if they technically aren't).

Unfortunately, even if that is the case, I don't personally know anyone who was accepted as a short-list candidate. Of the 8 people I know that applied, 4 didn't land an interview and the other 4 (myself included) became alternates.
    They can be pulled from anywhere in the U.S.

Usually they are an alternate in X Consulate, if a short lister drops out, then they upgrade an alternate from their consulate. This is not always the case though as the time gets closer to departure.

Toronto alternate checking in. Fortunately I've got a job right now so it's not too big a deal but I'm kind of bummed about being in limbo.. Don't know if I should look for something else or just wait. Hmmmm..

Hi everyone, another Miami alternate here. I've been a lurker for a bit but decided to make an account after following along with the results.

Yeah, I was pretty upset when I found out the news because I really had my heart set on JET. I know it doesn't help much to ponder the 'what-ifs', but I do wonder whether or not your consulate affects your chances of getting in. I know a few people who interviewed at smaller consulates and got shortlisted, though I know them to be a bit socially awkward and probably less qualified than me.

It's tough, but it's just a waiting game from here on out.

Quote Originally Posted by Nya-dy View Post
    Hi everyone, another Miami alternate here. I've been a lurker for a bit but decided to make an account after following along with the results.

Yeah, I was pretty upset when I found out the news because I really had my heart set on JET. I know it doesn't help much to ponder the 'what-ifs', but I do wonder whether or not your consulate affects your chances of getting in. I know a few people who interviewed at smaller consulates and got shortlisted, though I know them to be a bit socially awkward and probably less qualified than me.

It's tough, but it's just a waiting game from here on out.
    I'd imagine it would. The interview, as it is said time and time again, is based off of a scoring system. But I imagine your score is somewhat subjective and based off of how much the panel likes you (although often denied). There's also the fact that different consulates get varying number of applicants as well as ALT spots.

Welcome to the alternate list. Was wondering if I'd ever see another Miami applicant on ITIL.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by itsabird; April 4th, 2014 at 13:15.
    ⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa

I am another alternate from DC.

I have been lurking here on the forum for quite some time, especially during Monday and Tuesday when results were being announced along with refreshing my email every 2 minutes.

I registered to the forum just now to join in the gloomy alternate hangout. When I checked my email to activate my account I saw "JET Program" in my email inbox and I felt my heart fall out of my chest thinking "maybe I've gotten an upgrade!". I don't know how I didn't notice that it was just from the forum and not from the embassy even considering that I had just signed up for the forum a few seconds prior to checking my email. Anyway, yeah, that's how it feels, I'm sure you all know the feeling.

Nice to meet all of you!

Quote Originally Posted by itsabird View Post
    I'd imagine it would. The interview, as it is said time and time again, is based off of a scoring system. But I imagine your score is somewhat subjective and based off of how much the panel likes you (although often denied). There's also the fact that different consulates get varying number of applicants as well as ALT spots.

Welcome to the alternate list. Was wondering if I'd ever see another Miami applicant on ITIL.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the welcome! Let's hope for the best, ne?

I'm also an alternate from DC. I have mixed feelings--on the on hand I'm disappointed I'm not shortlisted and have a definite answer buuuut on the other I'm glad I still have a shot. It's better than a flat out rejection in my eyes.

Houston Alternate

Dstin - I'm currently in New Orleans, not a bad time of the year (or city for that matter) to have to cope with being an alternate ><

Hey Dstin and Masada,

pretty cool to see other Houston alternates here. I sent off my reply form yesterday, so hopefully now I don't have to worry about anything JET-related further--unless of course I get upgraded. It kinda sucks, though, as I was hoping to have a definitive answer by this time of the year. It's better than flat-out rejection, of course, but it basically puts me at the same place I was months ago, albeit with (slightly better? idk) chances.

What did you guys think of your interviews and whatnot?
    Alternate 2014 | Houston

Perhaps I'm just being overly sensitive...but I know of no one that got shortlisted from DC except for two individuals here on this forum, so I'm a little concerned with the number of alternates in the DC area (five on the forum, including myself, and I know another 3 people in-person who are alternates). Is it possible our interviewers were just harder on applicant evaluations than those at other consulates? Because 1 short-listed to 4 alternates sounds off to me...

---Edit---

Elaborating - roughly 45% of those who get interviews end up going to Japan, so wouldn't the numbers reflect this? But as it is now, only 20% of applicants in the DC area are shortlisted...But all 4 of the people I know who applied from the West Coast were short-listed.
    Last edited by Curious-Cat; April 5th, 2014 at 02:20.

Hey Caramel,

On paper, I felt very strong but, on the day of the interview, I drove 6 hours from New Orleans to Houston to do the interview (no other options really) and I definitely wasn't at my best in terms of mental preparedness :-\

On top of that, my interview was tough. I got what some people called "The War Tribunal" interview panel. No introduction, hardly any smiles, attempts at humor glossed over. I just tried to smile and answer the questions as best I could. Ultimately, my interview went ok but they had some hang-ups with some of my answers. I tried to elaborate but, I guess I didn't pull it off as well I was hoping. I assume that's what has landed me on the alternate list.

I certainly understand the frustration with being an ALT. Being in limbo for 5 months has been rough. Having to withstand another 2 months of limbo is even harder as I've been putting off a lot of big decisions in terms of Job, Moving, etc... while waiting for this program. It would have been nice to know on Monday if I was going to Japan or if I was free to pursue other interest. Right now, I can realistically be an Alternate until around early June at the latest.

@ Curious Cat

I wouldn't assume that 45% is super accurate. That was just a numbers exercise I did for fun. Someone people responded that the amounts could be as low as 13% of applicants at a Consulate are short-listed. That number was based worldwide and off some assumed numbers. So, my advice, is don't be too upset if the numbers seem low. Since it's all based on score, it could be possible for one consulate to have a short-listed rate of 10% and another consulate to have a short-listed rate of 45%.

Perhaps I'm just being overly sensitive...but I know of no one that got shortlisted from DC except for two individuals here on this forum, so I'm a little concerned with the number of alternates in the DC area (five on the forum, including myself, and I know another 3 people in-person who are alternates). Is it possible our interviewers were just harder on applicant evaluations than those at other consulates? Because 1 short-listed to 4 alternates sounds off to me...

---Edit---

Elaborating - roughly 45% of those who get interviews end up going to Japan, so wouldn't the numbers reflect this? But as it is now, only 20% of applicants in the DC area are shortlisted...But all 4 of the people I know who applied from the West Coast were short-listed.
    I doubt many DC applicants are even on this forum, to be honest. ITIL probably only represents a small fraction of those individuals. Furthermore, there isn't much use pondering our chances at this point. It'll either happen or it won't.
    Last edited by LaVie; April 5th, 2014 at 02:24.
    Alternate - Washington DC

Quote Originally Posted by Masada View Post
    Hey Caramel,

On paper, I felt very strong but, on the day of the interview, I drove 6 hours from New Orleans to Houston to do the interview (no other options really) and I definitely wasn't at my best in terms of mental preparedness :-\

On top of that, my interview was tough. I got what some people called "The War Tribunal" interview panel. No introduction, hardly any smiles, attempts at humor glossed over. I just tried to smile and answer the questions as best I could. Ultimately, my interview went ok but they had some hang-ups with some of my answers. I tried to elaborate but, I guess I didn't pull it off as well I was hoping. I assume that's what has landed me on the alternate list.

I certainly understand the frustration with being an ALT. Being in limbo for 5 months has been rough. Having to withstand another 2 months of limbo is even harder as I've been putting off a lot of big decisions in terms of Job, Moving, etc... while waiting for this program. It would have been nice to know on Monday if I was going to Japan or if I was free to pursue other interest. Right now, I can realistically be an Alternate until around early June at the latest.
    I also drove 6 hours, but from the DFW area. I got a hotel for the night before, but didn't end up sleeping much because whoever was in the room next to me had an alarm go off at 4:30 AM and then turned on their TV from then until 8 or so. I wouldn't call the interview a "war tribunal", but they were rather opaque with their reactions. Still, I did the best I could do at the time. I can't help but feel, however, that my alternate status is largely in part due to the fact that I am married. I could be wrong, as the JET program insists that they don't discriminate against married couples/people with children, but I still can't deny that it would look like an extra risk.

Can you tell me what kind of people were on your panel?
    Last edited by Caramel; April 5th, 2014 at 02:55.
    Alternate 2014 | Houston

Hi everyone! I'm also an alternate from DC. The only person I know who got short-listed as an ALT from DC is my best friend; seems like a lot of us from DC are alternates.

I've been lurking here for the past several days and finally gathered the courage to register, post, and join the alternate thread. To be honest, I feel pretty bummed, but I'm hoping to stay positive! Reading this blog really helped too: Welcome to Limbo: Being an Alternate for JET | Ladama Does Japan

Crossing my fingers for me and everyone here!

Thanks for the link, choco! I found it encouraging and enlightening. :3

Thanks for the link, choco! I found it encouraging and enlightening. :3
    You're very welcome! I hope everyone can find it encouraging as well. :-)

After receiving that email, I read numerous posts and blogs about being an alternate until 4am and that post was the number one thing that helped me feel better about being in alternate limbo. I really hope we all can get upgraded, somehow! For now, I'm just going to focus on the paperwork haha.

I felt my interview went fairly well, maybe even slightly better than I was hoping (I have low expectations for myself, lol). The thing that I can't help but think may have tripped me up is that I have a chronic condition I need to take medication for. One of the interviewers asked me about it and wanted me to assure them that it wouldn't turn out to be a problem if I was placed in the inaka in case I had trouble getting my meds...I tried to assure them that no matter what, I'd find a way to make it work, but who knows. It might've been something totally different that bumped me down a notch.

Caramel - I know of someone from Boston who was an alternate last year and is married. She was upgraded in July.
    Last edited by Wasabi; April 5th, 2014 at 08:28.

Vancouver Alternate joining the club. Anyone want to talk plan B? I was planning to apply for Interac and maybe AEON if rejected from JET, but now I'm worried that if I apply for other jobs now, I might have to respond to an offer, only to get upgraded by JET later. I'm not planning on holding out for JET until December, but I'd like to give it until June at least, after people start rejecting their placement offers. Seeing that people already have Interac interviews lined up makes me nervous though, even though Interac's website says the best time to apply for Fall placements goes until May. Does anyone know what the ideal time to apply would be? :S I'd be interested in knowing how long it took other people to receive responses from Interac for interviews etc.
    Last edited by afterwards; April 5th, 2014 at 15:49.