Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternates Hangout

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

Default Re: Alternates Hangout

Quote Originally Posted by spman2099 View Post
    That is what I was hoping. I tracked my forms, and they arrived this morning, but I was just hoping that I would get some kind of notification that would inform me that everything is in order.
    Personally, I will only contact someone if they are missing documentation. If you sent everything is, and everything is good, then I mark the check list and move on. Like some have said here though, if you are really worried, you can e-mail your coordinator.

Quote Originally Posted by Este View Post
    Hi all!

Another UK alternate here. I was disappointed, as we all were, to be put on the reserve list but I guess it's better than an all out no. I sent off my SAR form yesterday and sent my reply form back to JET. I've booked in to see my Doctor on Monday morning so will update here with costs for everything. Hopefully it's not too pricey!

My sister did JET several years ago and she was originally an alternate. She got the upgrade call early May and was actually placed in her prefered area. It was probably a matter of luck but there's still hope!
    I had my medical today that the doctor stressed that i had had a persistant cough for the last three weeks, and there fore was required to go for a chest x-ray! The only thing uncomfortable about the medical is that you have to do a piss pot. Other than that, having a male doctor should be no worries.

Quote Originally Posted by buh View Post
    woahh....
    I'm a bit apprehensive about the medical. My favourite doctor recently left the surgery and the only nice one left is a dude. Am I gonna have to get my boobs out? Is this gonna be awkward?
    The only thing you have to do is read off a board (eye test), blood pressure check (so the cuff thingy), a listen to the heart (so a stethoscope) and a piss pot, which they should test there and then. Then its off to the x-ray dept. (and this was at my local uni medical centre)

Is everyone sending their repky form as yes or are some people giving up for theyear/have better options?

Quote Originally Posted by dstin View Post
    Is everyone sending their repky form as yes or are some people giving up for theyear/have better options?
    I bet most people who don't want to continue don't send the reply notice at all. Other than to keep a good image, there's no real incentive for them to send in the reply. It's easier for them to just not reply at all (or at least send an email, like my coordinator requested).
    ⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa

I meant, of the people on this board, how many of them are staying versus calling it quits at this point?

I haven't seen anyone on here who has indicated that they're dropping out.

On that note, everyone here! If\when you are upgraded or drop out of the running, please let me know so I can keep records like has been done in past years!
    Alternate - Washington DC

I don't think people who aren't expecting to stay on the wait list would be trolling the forums. Is there any archival forum that you've seen that has done this or are they deleted?

Quote Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
    I don't think people who aren't expecting to stay on the wait list would be trolling the forums. Is there any archival forum that you've seen that has done this or are they deleted?
    Exactly. People who aren't going to stay on the alternate list have probably already moved on. No point in checking the forums if you're not in the running to be a JET anymore. I originally thought your question was towards Miamicoordinator, asking him if he has received any "no I don't want to be an alternate" forms.
    ⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa

Quote Originally Posted by Shiro_Kuma View Post
    Almost everything gets solved by dessert! (Well it solves most of mine anyway, but it does give you a different weighting issue as a side effect if not careful )

Side note, got a reply on my email that they are processing my SAR1 form starting today. So that's a good sign on one front. Was worth sending it as Next Day Delivery.

Now.. If only the medical was as straight forward...
    I know, that whole weight issue thing is a bit of a bummer. A delicious bummer.

I applied for early departure, so luckily I already sent everything off in February. It's nice to not have to worry about that.

LaVie, I should have mentioned I'm a London Alternate. Can you please update the list?

Quote Originally Posted by Thet View Post
    I applied for early departure, so luckily I already sent everything off in February. It's nice to not have to worry about that.
    I don't think the UK applicants were told to do anything for Early Departure. I think it's probably a rare occurrance and we just had to tick a box if we were interested. To be fair in hindsight I think I'd have been scrambling to get my affairs in order so I'm glad I didn't get it
    Last edited by Shiro_Kuma; April 10th, 2014 at 22:08.

I'll have to ring my surgery and get a proper idea of costs.

Dang it... I knew something like this would happen!

EDIT: Yup your cost is bang on. Depending on the tests my GP will charge anything between £40-90. The X-Ray will be done at the GP's discretion. So if she deems it unnecessary she will just fill out a detailed report instead. Plus results will take 7 working days so I sincerely hope she doesn't screw it up for me!
    You guys got fucking lucky. I'm being charged 175GBP for mine. 'Per hour or part-hour' which means I'm getting charged for a full hour of the doctor's time. Bloody NHS, what do I pay for -grumble grumble-

I think we have to pay because it's a non-NHS service
    Mine'll cost £60, and then I go to the hospital for the xray, but that might be an extra £70. eeeeeeesh.

Quote Originally Posted by buh View Post
    I think we have to pay because it's a non-NHS service
    Mine'll cost £60, and then I go to the hospital for the xray, but that might be an extra £70. eeeeeeesh.
    I know WHY we have to pay, I'm just stunned it costs so much more where I am. I didn't speak to a doctor though but a receptionist so I don't know if I've got the right kind of appointment or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Illuria View Post
    You guys got fucking lucky. I'm being charged 175GBP for mine. 'Per hour or part-hour' which means I'm getting charged for a full hour of the doctor's time. Bloody NHS, what do I pay for -grumble grumble-
    £175... Bloody hell!

I wonder if we can get X-rays done not from a hospital but a private clinic of sorts?

Yikes, I hope the x ray doesn't cost me too much! I would do just about anything to get upgraded but it does sting having to shell out for all this, especially as there's no guarantee we'll get to go to Japan in the end.

£175... Bloody hell!

I wonder if we can get X-rays done not from a hospital but a private clinic of sorts?
    If you have a doctor who you trust, he may ask if 'you have had a persistant cough for the last 3 weeks', say yes and he will get you the x-ray free.

How many upgrades are given out in an average year? 100? 150?

Quote Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
    How many upgrades are given out in an average year? 100? 150?
    Unfortunatly, I've seen no statistics (thanks JET!). I think an optimistic guess is around half of those alternated are eventually upgradd.

Has anyone heard any rumors of upgrads trickling out? I know it's unlikely this early, but every year it seems some consulates call a few people right away.
    Last edited by LaVie; April 11th, 2014 at 07:33.
    Alternate - Washington DC