Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternates Hangout

Default Re: Alternates Hangout

Quote Originally Posted by spman2099 View Post
    Yeah, the Toronto alternates aren't required to give anything other than the alternate form, a copy of their passport, and two passport photos. However, they do encourage you to start on the rest.
    Vancouver alternates as well. My criminal record check is in but I have not sent in my COH.

Quote Originally Posted by hedgehoglove View Post
    LaVie, could you add me to the list of alternates from Vancouver please ? There's also an alternate from Detroit to add from recent posts! Thanks!!
    While you're at it, LaVie, me too, please.

And on the whole, yeah, this wait is really getting to me. My anxious personality is definitely not serving me well since the I'm getting antsy even though the reply form deadline hasn't even come yet haha. I'm optimistic though, for myself and all of you. I really hope all of you get in so this awful limbo will be forever left in the past.
    Last edited by Alastor; April 25th, 2014 at 06:05.
    Alternate - Vancouver 2014
    ---
    Scummy re-applicant 2015!!!
    ---
    SHORT-LISTED

You're not alone, Alastor. I've also been feeling very anxious, and I know that it's mainly due to the uncertainty of this situation. I want to apply for other programs, but I know that if I were to get upgraded and have to reject JET due to another position, I would hate myself so much! Ughhhh, what to do!!!

You're not alone, Alastor. I've also been feeling very anxious, and I know that it's mainly due to the uncertainty of this situation. I want to apply for other programs, but I know that if I were to get upgraded and have to reject JET due to another position, I would hate myself so much! Ughhhh, what to do!!!
    I feel the same too. I'm contemplating life paths and options. It's so hard with having that uncertainty, though. Can't wait until Monday when the paperwork is due at my consulate. Then maybe I'll have a better idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Thet View Post
    I feel the same too. I'm contemplating life paths and options. It's so hard with having that uncertainty, though. Can't wait until Monday when the paperwork is due at my consulate. Then maybe I'll have a better idea.
    I'm also waiting VERY PATIENTLY for the 28th!!! Crossing my fingers that many shortlisters changed their minds.

I'm also waiting VERY PATIENTLY for the 28th!!! Crossing my fingers that many shortlisters changed their minds.
    I know! It's the worst! Basically I've been hoping that the right shortlisters and the right amount of shortlisters decline/miss the deadline/forget the paperwork/etc., so that we can all get upgraded. I really want my name to appear red on the list with my upgrade date. I feel like this is going to be a long weekend!

I feel like if we do hear back it'll be towards the end of next week, considering that they have to process all the paperwork on top of their usual work. We just have to keep ourselves busy so that we don't lose our minds haha!

I feel like if we do hear back it'll be towards the end of next week, considering that they have to process all the paperwork on top of their usual work. We just have to keep ourselves busy so that we don't lose our minds haha!
    I know. And what's a few days considering all the waiting that we've already done. I either need to keep busy, or just sleep a lot in the coming days to pass the time.

The paperwork at my consulate was due yesterday. Gonna be a ball of nerves from here on out. >.>;

Quote Originally Posted by CrouchingMouse View Post
    The paperwork at my consulate was due yesterday. Gonna be a ball of nerves from here on out. >.>;
    My consulate's deadline is today.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    ⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa

The deadline for the reply forms for the UK is Wednesday 30 April so I'm hoping we'll start hearing about some upgrades at the end of the next week. On the correspondence it says any upgrades will happen from May to the second week of December.

My deadline is also the 30th but I've already accepted that I will not upgraded. My consulate is so small that upgrades are rare. The only known upgrade was in 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by loc'd View Post
    My deadline is also the 30th but I've already accepted that I will not upgraded. My consulate is so small that upgrades are rare. The only known upgrade was in 2011.
    Same. The chances of my consulate having upgrade slots this year seem really slim. It sucks knowing that if I had interviewed through a different consulate I might have had a better shot. So I've accepted that I probably wont be upgraded and am trying to plan accordingly. Yeah it's kind of a defeatist attitude, but I think after this whole process I have concluded that getting into JET is pretty much 40% your skills and qualifications while 60% is luck, based on the whim of decision makers in Tokyo, which consulate you interview at, and how many positions have opened up that year from current JETs not re-contracting.
    Alternate- Miami

Quote Originally Posted by Nya-dy View Post
    Same. The chances of my consulate having upgrade slots this year seem really slim. It sucks knowing that if I had interviewed through a different consulate I might have had a better shot. So I've accepted that I probably wont be upgraded and am trying to plan accordingly. Yeah it's kind of a defeatist attitude, but I think after this whole process I have concluded that getting into JET is pretty much 40% your skills and qualifications while 60% is luck, based on the whim of decision makers in Tokyo, which consulate you interview at, and how many positions have opened up that year from current JETs not re-contracting.
    It is unfortunate. But at the same time the consulates don't know how many spots they're going to get. Miami had a lot more spots last year and didn't expect so few this year. So it was, theoretically, a good idea to apply at Miami, however it turned out being a bad decision because of the change in positions available at said consulate..

I feel your pain. Who knows, maybe a lot of people didn't get their alternate or shortlist paperwork in. There's always hoping for that.

⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa

How do you know there are so few alternate spots through Miami? I have absolutely no idea how many there potentially are in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Este View Post
    How do you know there are so few alternate spots through Miami? I have absolutely no idea how many there potentially are in the UK.
    Posts by Miamicoordinator in this thread have stated it as such. It was also mentioned that, because Florida is such a long state, people in northern parts opt to go with Atlanta applications.

Last edited by itsabird; April 26th, 2014 at 02:35.
    ⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa

Studying for my last Japanese language test (at this university anyways)... To think I don't even know when I'll actually use this language is kind of unsteadying. At least I will (or will not) find out soon.

And my final finals are finally here...
    I will soon be able to say my final finals have finally finished.

How's everyone doing on their finals? I had one professor that felt the need to critique my report to the extreme because I had to go to the doctors when the thing was due (sudden bug that I mentioned before that I contracted from my niece). A bit unfair, but meh. shouganai.

Last edited by itsabird; April 26th, 2014 at 04:36.
    ⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa

Quote Originally Posted by itsabird View Post
    And my final finals are finally here...
    I will soon be able to say my final finals have finally finished.

How's everyone doing on their finals? I had one professor that felt the need to critique my report to the extreme because I had to go to the doctors when the thing was due (sudden bug that I mentioned before that I contracted from my niece). A bit unfair, but meh. shouganai.
    Sorry to hear that. Does seem a bit unfair, but I guess it's kind of easy for misperceptions and miscommunications to happen when missing a class (even due to a legitimate reason). I've had a fair amount of problems with that too.

My final finals aren't here yet. Still have another two weeks of class to go...which is good and bad.

As for being an alternate out of a certain consulate, I guess luck may factor into that. I don't know though, I don't have too much confidence being out of Chicago. Sure there are a lot of shortlister spots, but that also means there are a ton of alternates, and I have no idea where I am on the list/if that even matters. I tried to email my coordinator to figure out where I might be placed on the list (just for some peace of mind), but he stated that that information would be useless to me since the alternate list moves in such unpredictable ways. I believe that it's unpredictable, but it's harder to believe that your position would have no effect.

Do all of you belong to Facebook groups or something of the like for your consulates' JETs?
    Last edited by ckrisp; April 26th, 2014 at 05:09.

I've no idea how many spots Atlanta has. I guess it'd be pointless to ask, since it wouldn't change anything.

My consulate invited everyone who sent back their reply forms to a FB group, alternates as well, so I joined for the hell of it. It's not terribly active though, which is kind of boring.

I got the call!!!!! Japan here I come I'm still in shock a little bit I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Libellule View Post
    I got the call!!!!! Japan here I come I'm still in shock a little bit I think.
    Congrats!! You're from Calgary too?? I just got the call 2 hours ago as well!! We're going to Japan!!!! I'm so happy I wanna cry XD