Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternates Hangout

Default Re: Alternates Hangout

Quote Originally Posted by ihatefall View Post
    I didn't go to those classes but I will tell you this. You need a lot of vocab for working in Japan / being an ALT that Genki Japanese isn't going to teach you.
    Oh, I'm sure! I actually don't feel like my Japanese is anywhere near good enough for basic survival in Japan haha, hopefully it'll come much more easily if I get there and am immersed in the language. I just don't feel like learning hiragana again is going to benefit me much either.

Quote Originally Posted by afterwards View Post
    Oh, I'm sure! I actually don't feel like my Japanese is anywhere near good enough for basic survival in Japan haha, hopefully it'll come much more easily if I get there and am immersed in the language. I just don't feel like learning hiragana again is going to benefit me much either.
    Are you sure that is what they teach?
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by ihatefall View Post
    Are you sure that is what they teach?
    This is sample curriculum we got:

1. Japanese Culture
    2. Useful Expressions
    3. Greetings
    4. Self-Introduction
    5. Basic Hiragana and Katakana
    6. Numbers, Telling Time, Telephone Numbers
    7. Verbs and Particles
    8. Basic Sentence Structure
    9. Adjectives
    10. Date Related Words
    11. Shopping
    13. Transportation, Directions and Important Kanji on Signs
    14. Receiving and Giving

Some of it would certainly be useful to revisit, but overall I don't think there would be enough new material to make it worth going (and possibly taking the spot from someone who would find it more valuable).

I didn't realize it was limited
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by hedgehoglove View Post
    Did you guys sign up for the Japanese classes (Vancouver alternates)?
    I did! I did! We'll have to be friends then.

Quote Originally Posted by Thet View Post
    I did! I did! We'll have to be friends then.
    Yessssssss i look forward to meeting you!!! Im a small white brunette girl so keep an eye open for that, haha! Did you get more info after you signed up? I haven't gotten anything so I hope they didn't forget me!

Miamicoordinator, can I ask if you know if anyone has been upgraded yet due to a shortlister declining placement?

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
    Miamicoordinator, can I ask if you know if anyone has been upgraded yet due to a shortlister declining placement?
    Hi aragorn. I have been away from ITIL for the past 2 weeks because I was assigned to jury duty >< I apologize for getting back to you so late.
    Yes, there have been quite a few upgrades that have come directly from short-listers declining. Personally, we have only had 1 at my Consulate, but I know there have been others at the other Consulates.

Now that more placements have come out, maybe some other shortlisters will decline if they dont want their placement. Thats a bold move though because it would mean they not be able to apply next year since they know their placements now.

Thank you for your response. I've heard of some shortlisters declining and the upgrades that followed. I was wondering if any had already come specifically from a placement decline. There hasn't been much development this month is all.

Thank you for your response. I've heard of some shortlisters declining and the upgrades that followed. I was wondering if any had already come specifically from a placement decline. There hasn't been much development this month is all.
    I'm pretty certain my placement was probably a declined position. I don't blame the person either, it's hard to wrap your mind around it. Its pretty. Remote?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by itsabird; June 12th, 2014 at 06:53.
    ⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa

Miamicoordinator, do you happen to communicate with Canadian coordinators or know whether or not there have been upgrades out of Canada due to people declining their positions?

Miamicoordinator, do you happen to communicate with Canadian coordinators or know whether or not there have been upgrades out of Canada due to people declining their positions?
    Sorry, i dont have any contact with the canadian coordinators, just the u.s.

My fingerprints were rejected... after paying for and sending in 2 sets, because literally nobody in my city or surrounding cities would print livescan for me. At least $25 gone there and about to spend another $25 (or more for expedited shipping) if I want to remain in the alternate pool of extreme uncertainty. Which I do, but without even further spending on something so not guarranteed when I am rather low on cash...

Still trying to keep some hope alive though... let our upgrades come soon...!

Vancouver alternates, have you guys already sent in your criminal record checks/certificate of health, or are you guys waiting to be upgraded to send that in? I'm going to be in Quebec for all of July so I'm trying to get all the paper work out of the way just in case.

How many times does JET allow you to apply?

How many times does JET allow you to apply?
    There is no limit as to how many times you can apply. Eventually some people might get tired after more than 3 times because it is a lot of paperwork, and the emotional rollercoaster involved can be stressful. The only time when you are not allowed to apply is when:

1) You declined a position after you have found out your placement information. (you must wait a year before reapplying)
    2) You have just returned back to Japan as a JET. (you need to wait at least 3 years before applying again, and not have spent 5 years as a JET on your first go).

Anyone, any age can apply for JET as long as they fit the requirements as many times as they want. Whether or not they get an interview will depend on their application packet.

Vancouver alternates, have you guys already sent in your criminal record checks/certificate of health, or are you guys waiting to be upgraded to send that in? I'm going to be in Quebec for all of July so I'm trying to get all the paper work out of the way just in case.
    I only have my criminal record check in.
    Alternate - Vancouver 2014
    ---
    Scummy re-applicant 2015!!!
    ---
    SHORT-LISTED

I have a question about Early Departure for miamicoordinator. If an alternate was not upgraded this summer, then would Early Departure be a better option for them if they submitted all their paperwork (the irs forms, fbi records) in now or would they need to resubmit all that information? Otherwise, would it be beneficial for the candidate to spend a year strengthening their own application and reapply for regular departure? Just getting pretty anxious about still being an alternate is all...
    Last edited by vidorra; June 13th, 2014 at 10:42.

Hi another alternate turned shortlister here to offer hope for those still haven't gotten "the call"
    and yea this was my third time applying to JET, and second time making the alternate list, if I didn't get upgraded this time I wasn't planning on applying again come September, I couldn't put myself through this again

I haven't submitted any of that yet. I wonder how much time we would get after being upgraded, since the shortlisters had to send them in so much earlier?

Quote Originally Posted by girlninja
    Hi another alternate turned shortlister here to offer hope for those still haven't gotten "the call"
    and yea this was my third time applying to JET, and second time making the alternate list, if I didn't get upgraded this time I wasn't planning on applying again come September, I couldn't put myself through this again
    That is awesome, congrats!! Your perseverance paid off.