Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: T Minus one week until we start finding out

Default T Minus one week until we start finding out

!!!

So, how will you pass the time?

And if you are short listed/alternate, how the heck to pass the next chunk of time until you find out more about your posting. Running out of things to do/worry about!!!

RG

Default Re: T Minus one week until we start finding out

Last year when I was waiting my university work kept me really busy until I found out.

Then after that, my part time job and preparing to leave (packing up stuff, sorting, throwing old stuff out) took up a hell of a long time.

Hey, newbie here. I am so nervous about finding out. Been waiting for like six months! When did they start contacting people about acceptance in past years?

I think we're looking at another 2-3 weeks to be honest. This year it seems a lot of the deadlines were pushed back and the whole process seems to have taken a bit longer to process. That being said, I'm also chomping at the bit to find out. I'm pretty busy teaching at the moment so the wait time hasn't been as brutal as I had expected. Now that we are closing in on the finish line, the anxiety has definitely kicked into high gear lol. As long as I'm accepted, I could frankly careless where they place me. Anything after that glorious acceptance notice will just be a bonus to me.

It depends on where you are, I think. Some people found out April 3 last year, and some found out closer to the 20th. We're in for so much more waiting!! Short listed folks are only 1/2 way, even!!! For me, location is huge. I'll be travelling as a single parent of a 5 year old if selected, so I would live to be close to family and friends in Japan for support. There will be a lot of difficult planning and stress either way, and I am so chomping at the bit to start crossing things off my to do list (plan b is to go for a few months, instead of working there, so I'm anxious to know one way or the other!!)

RG

I took a three week "vacation" hanging out with friends who live in rural Indiana. It has been a wonderful distraction, but I don't know what I am going to do now...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    They're gonna burn you inside a giant wicker anpanman.

I'm about 2\3rds of the way done with my senior project, due April 18th, soo that should help me pass the time till results start trickling out.
    Alternate - Washington DC

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Randomgirl View Post
    It depends on where you are, I think. Some people found out April 3 last year, and some found out closer to the 20th. We're in for so much more waiting!! Short listed folks are only 1/2 way, even!!! For me, location is huge. I'll be travelling as a single parent of a 5 year old if selected, so I would live to be close to family and friends in Japan for support. There will be a lot of difficult planning and stress either way, and I am so chomping at the bit to start crossing things off my to do list (plan b is to go for a few months, instead of working there, so I'm anxious to know one way or the other!!)

RG
    Umm, I think you've mentioned it, but finding out the shortlist is not the same as finding out location. That's much later.

@Everyone, Like it has been mentioned, some years have found out very quickly, others have taken more time. Don't start counting down days, just let it be a surprise when you find out. Go out, have a beer, and relax
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Yah if short listed or alternate, it's a whole new waiting game!!!

*Crossing fingers for Short-List*

For me, where I go in Japan is not a big deal, so the wait after that is easy. I just hope to find out in the next 2/3 weeks if I am going or not. Being around 26, having to put any plan B's on hold while waiting to find out the status of this gamble makes this particularly excruciating for myself. I applied once before when I was 22 but that wasn't nearly as bad as I had Senior year to keep me busy.

As for how I am bidding my time? K-Dramas! 1 Hour and 7 Minute long episodes at 15 to 25 episodes a series in addition to work. Not to mention 3 to 4 games of Ultimate Frisbee a week is making this wait tolerable. Not going to lie though, still the longest 2 months of my life between February and April...

There's one thing I'm not clear on...(for those in the US at least): Do we find out through email, or by regular post?
    Alternate - Washington DC

Usually email. Occasionally even a phone call at smaller consulates.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

I want to do nothing but roll around for the next few weeks waiting for the results. Instead though, I have to finish writing my undergraduate thesis, present my thesis, finish another final paper, worry about exams, and start working on plan B of course. Time is going too quickly in my opinion, but also not quickly enough /internal conflict.

Lots of interesting stuff going on for people. I have work and my daughter to keep me busy, but I can't wait to get rid of the niggling anxiety in the back of my head! So much to prepare before leaving if I get in! I want to start now, lol.

Frankly, I would be really bummed if I didn't get in. I'm being positive right now though. Once I do find out, I think the hardest part will be over because I'll be able to start making plans. Right now I'm just working quite a bit, shopping a lot, trying to save up some money, and working on my senior thesis, which is a book about tea that I need to write ASAP. Kind of exhausted all the time and lacking motivation so it's tough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO, i think this wait has been a lot easier than the first wait from the Application stage. I was really sweating the Initial stage the most and the build up to the actual interview itself. This hasn't been so bad...at least for me lol

I think, for me, it is harder because I feel that I have less control over what happens next - I was at least an active participant in the application/interview process, and I think a part of me feels like I'm at the mercy of a system from here and things are completely out if my control. I guess I like being in control, lol!

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

We have not heard anything back from Tokyo yet. Like someone mentioned, last year, by April 3rd some notifications were sent out because we got the list back on April 2nd. If it follows the same time line as last year, we should know by the end of next week. However, things have been slower this year around, so we do not know for sure. For all we know, we can get the list back in 2 weeks.

Thanks for the heads up, MC!!!

I'm heading into the last few weeks of my University career, so lots to keep me busy (essays, getting ready for exams, etc) but it still feels like time is passing VERY slowly. I just want to know so I can get a head start on planning things - whether thats planning what to do next year or planning to move my life to the other side of the world... ha