Thread: Alternate Passport Question...

Default Alternate Passport Question...

So, I personally want to get my forms in as quickly as possible. However, there appears to be a bit of a snag; my passport will be expiring during the time I would be in Japan (if I was upgraded, that is). So, is it imperative that I have my passport renewed before I submit my alternate paperwork? Or is that something that the consulate would not be overly concerned about? I would love to hear from the coordinators on this site about this... Thanks in advance!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    They're gonna burn you inside a giant wicker anpanman.

Default Re: Alternate Passport Question...

You must have a new passport prior to departure, but send a message to your coordinator to ask them how they want you to handle the replacement. (For me I replaced it after I submitted my paperwork.)
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spman2099 View Post
    So, I personally want to get my forms in as quickly as possible. However, there appears to be a bit of a snag; my passport will be expiring during the time I would be in Japan (if I was upgraded, that is). So, is it imperative that I have my passport renewed before I submit my alternate paperwork? Or is that something that the consulate would not be overly concerned about? I would love to hear from the coordinators on this site about this... Thanks in advance!
    As long as your passport is valid when you depart to Japan, that is all that matters. You can get your passport renewed in Japan if it does expire while you are there. We would only be concerned if you passport expired before December of 2014 (because that is technically how late the upgrade window is).

If you can though, try and get a new passport anyway because they are good to have on hand. Don't expedite it though. Getting a passport in Japan can be a hassle if you are in a very rural placement. However like I said, as long as it is valid until December of 2014, it would not impede your paperwork.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by miamicoordinator; April 3rd, 2014 at 23:58.

I just saw you were a Canadian alternate. THings could be different there, definitely call the embassy/consulate. My info is only good if you are departing from the U.S.

Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by miamicoordinator View Post
    As long as your passport is valid when you depart to Japan, that is all that matters. You can get your passport renewed in Japan if it does expire while you are there. We would only be concerned if you passport expired before December of 2014 (because that is technically how late the upgrade window is).

If you can though, try and get a new passport anyway because they are good to have on hand. Don't expedite it though. Getting a passport in Japan can be a hassle if you are in a very rural placement. However like I said, as long as it is valid until December of 2014, it would not impede your paperwork.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks a bunch; that being said, I actually read the dates wrong. My passport is good straight up until November of 2015. So yeah, false alarm. Still, your answer could help someone else who may have the same question. So, like, I totally didn't waste your time. Stop looking at me like that, dude...

Stop looking at me like that, dude...
    ノಠ益ಠ)ノ

ノಠ益ಠ)ノ
    Perfect.
    ⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa

ノಠ益ಠ)ノ
    And all the tables were flipped...
    Last edited by spman2099; April 4th, 2014 at 00:14.