Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions from the participants

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

Default Opinions from the participants

Hello everyone,

As coordinators, we often try to find the best method for us to get information out to short-listers, and alternates. For the most part, alternates are handled via e-mail or constant contact since the amount of documentation is not as much unless upgraded.

Communication between us coordinators and participants is important. In order to prevent people from asking the same questions, we normally have a private forum where people can come and introduce themselves, and ask questions and get to know other participants before departure. I personally use a google site, some of the Consulates use private facebook groups, this year some are planning on using private sub-reddits.

I am curious as to what your preferred methods would be? I know many people are redditors, but I am sure most people would have to make a new account just for the private sub-reddit so people do not see your post history/posting on your real account. Facebook is much the same way. Some people are very private and would not like to be part of a facebook group where others can see information. Google sites offers it's own challenges because it is not the most intuitive site for some.

At any rate, I was wondering what would you all prefer for a space that you can go and discuss questions and concerns after you are short-listed.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Default Re: Opinions from the participants

I would prefer Facebook. Reddit would be nice but it I feel like it is too anonymous and I don't know if it is a good method to get to know people. I haven't used Google sites before so I don't know how that would work.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutthroat-finch View Post
    I would prefer Facebook. Reddit would be nice but it I feel like it is too anonymous and I don't know if it is a good method to get to know people. I haven't used Google sites before so I don't know how that would work.
    Thanks for your input.

I already use Facebook a lot so I'd say that. Or maybe a dedicated forum like this one, if anonymity is preferred. I don't post on reddit at all and I don't know anything about Google sites.

Quote Originally Posted by CrouchingMouse View Post
    I already use Facebook a lot so I'd say that. Or maybe a dedicated forum like this one, if anonymity is preferred. I don't post on reddit at all and I don't know anything about Google sites.
    We would prefer it not be anonymous because our main goal is for the participants to get to know each other better before the Pre-Departure Orientation so that they do not feel so alone when they go to Japan. Sometimes people are placed near each other also, so a familiar face works. Imagine arriving at the PDO and saying "Oh Hi, yeah, I am managalover78, nice to meet you" or whaever. In my previous post I meant that some of the participants would rather not have other people going be prying into their private facebook lives. Granted, in Miami we do not have many short-listers, but at the Consulates where there are 100+ of them, it can be a lot of people.

I think facebook might be a good option though. I will look more into that.

I'd second facebook as well. Many people are redditors, but Facebook is all but mandatory for anyone who's currently a college student or job-searching. It seems to be the norm for handling groups such as this (I've had similar groups for study abroad and college programs), and people who might be anxious about other people seeing their more personal facebook information usually make a separate account for business purposes anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Cbill1 View Post
    I'd second facebook as well. Many people are redditors, but Facebook is all but mandatory for anyone who's currently a college student or job-searching. It seems to be the norm for handling groups such as this (I've had similar groups for study abroad and college programs), and people who might be anxious about other people seeing their more personal facebook information usually make a separate account for business purposes anyway.
    That is a very good point Cbill. Thanks.

I know i'm UK based, but i would use facebook. I don't ever go on reddit, the only other one i use is tumblr, and i don't want anyone who knows me to find me on there. Also, if the idea is to meet people/know faces or names before the orientation and departure, it would be a great way to learn someones face from their fb profile pic. On fb as well, we could link with people all over the world and find out who will be near each other Japan side. It maybe that there is no other British person near me for several miles, but if there are loads of Canadians/Americans/Australians near who i have connected with on fb, then friendships are laready started to being made before we even fly.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpinthefang View Post
    I know i'm UK based, but i would use facebook. I don't ever go on reddit, the only other one i use is tumblr, and i don't want anyone who knows me to find me on there. Also, if the idea is to meet people/know faces or names before the orientation and departure, it would be a great way to learn someones face from their fb profile pic. On fb as well, we could link with people all over the world and find out who will be near each other Japan side. It maybe that there is no other British person near me for several miles, but if there are loads of Canadians/Americans/Australians near who i have connected with on fb, then friendships are laready started to being made before we even fly.
    Thanks sharp, your opinion is very important to me also.

I'm also UK based but I would also prefer a Facebook group! I've never used reddit so I have no idea how it works and many may be the same while most people have Facebook. You can make your Facebook profile pretty private if you so wish, and I imagine most people who care a lot about privacy do!

You can also share a group of fb, and message each other or have massive posts without having to add people as friends first. There is a current group thats pretty active right now, with people from all over, here is the link; https://www.facebook.com/groups/168261550028597/ you have to request to join, but i was accepted within 24 hours.

Another vote for FB from someone who has one just for the sake of having - heck it might actually make me start using facebook!
    2014 Short-listed, Sydney (≧∇≦)/ Yamaguchi-ken

I'll also throw in a vote for Facebook. If the goal is to meet other JET participants, it seems like it's probably the best method.
    2014 Shortlist - Atlanta

I think a Facebook group would be best. I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure that one can adjust the settings so that his/her private information remains private unless they actually friend another account. It would be a more streamlined way of getting information out and while his/her name may be visible, other information like location or Facebook posts won't be.

Another vote for Facebook. As Curious-Cat mentioned, Facebook has pretty good custom options to privatize your profile. Some people still might not join, but there's no method that will get 100% participation.
    I came here to laugh at you.

Professional Fun Killer hypatia's Avatar

Just wanted to chime in - my consulate opted to go with the private sub-reddit option. One of they ways they handled it was to ask everyone to create new usernames that were our real names (or based on them), so that way there's still the sense of "who" you're talking to but without it being connected to an existing reddit user name or the possibly off-putting consequence of it being attached to your facebook profile. I was surprised that they didn't opt for a private facebook group (as many of the above have mentioned), but I have no complaints about how things are going so far.
    Last edited by hypatia; April 4th, 2014 at 11:48.

It seems a private FB group seems to be the most popular opinion. Thanks for your opinions everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by miamicoordinator View Post
    It seems a private FB group seems to be the most popular opinion. Thanks for your opinions everyone!
    I'll put in my vote. Google! Yay! I'm the odd one out!

In all honesty, either one works for me. Don't have a reddit account though, so it's a good thing that wasn't a popular vote...
    ⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa

When I was shortlisted, the D.C. consulate made a private facebook group and it was very helpful. Since there were so many people, one could chose to lurk or stay anonymous if they wanted to. Others were more vocal and involved. Often time other people asked the questions you were perhaps too shy to ask. Plus, you could always add people as friends and talk outside of the group as well. I thought it worked really well, so I would agree with all of those who are leaning towards facebook.
    2013 Shortlisted, D.C.
    ES/JHS ALT, Nagano.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

I'll chime in and say none of the above. I much preferred live events, even if it wasn't with the entire group leaving from Ottawa. Online discussions, especially on Facebook, can.... devolve into stupidity and annoyance pretty quickly. I left the FB group we made 3 years ago because the only thing I was learning about everyone was they were incapable of doing a google search for basic information found on the web. Too much noise, not enough discussion.

Reddit is rubbish as a get to know another forum, and doesn't really warrant the effort of using it unless you are there every day consistently. It also doesn't really extend beyond into a JET community afterwards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.