Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Regarding Paperwork and Deadlines

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

Default Regarding Paperwork and Deadlines

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to take a few momments to talk about paperwork and deadlines, especially in regards to JETs (both short-listers and alternates alike).

We are now at the time when everyone is scrambling to submit paperwork, and hopefully get everything to us in time.

I cannot stress how important it is to get us everything by the deadline. These dates are not fabricated for our own amusement, but rather, they are dates that we need to submit vital information to Japan by. If someone does not submit a document, then you may forfeit your space on the short-list. I do not say this to scare anyone, but rather try to impress upon you the importance of dates and deadlines, especially with the Japanese government.

I know many of you are still in school and have finals, and other issues going on in your life. My advice is, do not procrastinate. There are always blips with the finger printing. There are always issues with the mail (things get lost, or misplaced by FedEx, UPS, etc..) A wide array of things can happen. It is better to procede with caution and not wait till the last minute.

If you intend of declining your alternate or short-list status, please be considerate and at least send us a pdf version of the reply form (if you do not want to waste stamps for the original copy). That way we can move forward with those who are still interested.

I made this thread because I think most people have the mentality of "I'll do it tomorrow" and then all of a sudden, it is the day before the deadline and you are scrambling. Do not put your trust in next day mail service. Send everything with ample time to avoid any issues.

We will do our best to help you, but remember that some consulates have 100+ short-listers. Coordinators may not have time to immediately respond to your questions, thus, i stress again, PLEASE DO NOT WAIT TILL THE LAST MINUTE!

Thanks everyone ^_^
    Last edited by miamicoordinator; April 4th, 2014 at 03:12.

Default Re: Regarding Paperwork and Deadlines

The email from the SF coordinator said that more information will be coming this week about required documents. I want to get started on getting all the required documents, but I should just wait until I receive the email from the coordinator so I know exactly what is needed, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Cutthroat-finch View Post
    The email from the SF coordinator said that more information will be coming this week about required documents. I want to get started on getting all the required documents, but I should just wait until I receive the email from the coordinator so I know exactly what is needed, right?
    Yes, go ahead and wait till he gives you everything you need to send in. I can tell you for sure you will need a copy of your passport, so get in that if you haven't already. Your coordinator is an awesome guy, and very organized when it comes to this stuff. He will make sure you have everything you need in time.

The reply form asks for two pictures, which will be used for the work visa application I assume? I'm wondering if I can use the same picture I used for my interview voucher, the thing is I have a slight smile in the photo. Would this still be ok for the official document, in your opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarenka View Post
    The reply form asks for two pictures, which will be used for the work visa application I assume? I'm wondering if I can use the same picture I used for my interview voucher, the thing is I have a slight smile in the photo. Would this still be ok for the official document, in your opinion?
    The pictures you send will not be used for the visa. In July, you will need to submit a visa application for your actual visa and an additional picture will be needed. The two pictures required for the reply form is because we send hard copies of documents to Japan and they need to know what you look like for when they pick you up from the airport/train station.

Yes, you use the same pictures you used for the interview voucher as long as it falls under the specifications stated (white background, standard size, etc..) The "no smile" thing is very real in Japan when taking government issued IDs and such, but a little smile is not going to make a big difference for the reply form.

Quote Originally Posted by miamicoordinator View Post
    The pictures you send will not be used for the visa. In July, you will need to submit a visa application for your actual visa and an additional picture will be needed. The two pictures required for the reply form is because we send hard copies of documents to Japan and they need to know what you look like for when they pick you up from the airport/train station.

Yes, you use the same pictures you used for the interview voucher as long as it falls under the specifications stated (white background, standard size, etc..) The "no smile" thing is very real in Japan when taking government issued IDs and such, but a little smile is not going to make a big difference for the reply form.
    Awesome, thank you! Just one more question to pester you with... I had two-step TB testing done in the summer of last year (and it's good for a year I'm told), so would I be able to submit this for the mandatory TB testing *or* the chest x-ray?

Thanks very much in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarenka View Post
    Awesome, thank you! Just one more question to pester you with... I had two-step TB testing done in the summer of last year (and it's good for a year I'm told), so would I be able to submit this for the mandatory TB testing *or* the chest x-ray?

Thanks very much in advance.
    Unfortunately not Sarenka. You would need a new appointment to get the doctor to fill out the Certificate of Health. Medical exams done in the summer of last year would not be valid for this year's departure. No one likes going to the doctor, I know :/

Unfortunately not Sarenka. You would need a new appointment to get the doctor to fill out the Certificate of Health. Medical exams done in the summer of last year would not be valid for this year's departure. No one likes going to the doctor, I know :/
    Awh damn. I assumed as much, but I thought I would ask anyway.

It's not that I mind going to the doctor, it's more along the lines of TB tests are expensive and x-rays take a while. I might be away for the last week of April so that puts me in a real time crunch with everything.

Thanks for the help! It's very much appreciated to have your support and knowledge around here.

Banned

Could you give me some peace of mind for just how specific the standards for passport style photos are, please? On the advice of the internet, I went and had real passport photos done for my application, at a measly $13 charge for two. Now I need two more sets for my reply form, and at least another set for an International Driving Permit, and god knows for what else I haven't even gotten into yet. All of these applications and forms to various places cost money as well. I'm not going to go broke spending $40 on passport photos, but I'd really like to not spend any money that I don't absolutely have to at this point. What's the verdict on me just taking a picture of myself against a white background and printing out photos on photo paper, as long as I make sure that the picture is 2x2?
    Last edited by greyjoy; April 5th, 2014 at 16:46.

Quote Originally Posted by greyjoy View Post
    Could you give me some peace of mind for just how specific the standards for passport style photos are, please? On the advice of the internet, I went and had real passport photos done for my application, at a measly $13 charge for two. Now I need two more sets for my reply form, and at least another set for an International Driving Permit, and god knows for what else I haven't even gotten into yet. All of these applications and forms to various places cost money as well. I'm not going to go broke spending $40 on passport photos, but I'd really like to not spend any money that I don't absolutely have to at this point. What's the verdict on me just taking a picture of myself against a white background and printing out photos on photo paper, as long as I make sure that the picture is 2x2?
    The safest thing to do is just go to cvs or walgreens and pay for the pictures. You could print it on your own if you have a good enough printer and photo paper. There are always people who send in bad quality pictures with on regular paper. As long as your printer is good enoug, you can print your own. Just be warned that if the pictures arent good enough quality, you will have to take more anyway.

Hey y'all, I'm not a shortlister or anything but concerning the FBI background check - when they say do it as soon as possible, they mean it. Maybe it was just me because I sent it in right after the government shutdown fiasco ended, but it didn't get in my hands until the last possible second. I was frankly surprised that they even bothered matching it to my application since it was so close to the deadline (a day or two).

Also, idk if anyone can say for sure if this helps or not, but it might be best to send in two sets of your finger prints (in the same envelope). I did so and included a note explaining that one was an extra in case the others weren't printed right.
    Last edited by LaVie; April 4th, 2014 at 04:51.
    Alternate - Washington DC

Quote Originally Posted by LaVie View Post
    Hey y'all, I'm not a shortlister or anything but concerning the FBI background check - when they say do it as soon as possible, they mean it. Maybe it was just me because I sent it in right after the government shutdown fiasco ended, but it didn't get in my hands until the last possible second. I was frankly surprised that they even bothered matching it to my application since it was so close to the deadline (a day or two).

Also, idk if anyone can say for sure if this helps or not, but it might be best to send in two sets of your finger prints (in the same envelope). I did so and included a note explaining that one was an extra in case the others weren't printed right.
    I'm glad you mentioned this LaVie. We get countless numbers of FBI prints that are rejected every year! Some people have to get prints done 3 times, and even then they can't read them. At this time of year, many people are applying for jobs overseas in Korea, and Japan which causes a huge increase of FBI applications and a backlog occurs. You have two options for fingerprints, ink and digital(livescan). Our awesome SF coordinator was on the phone with some people this morning and got the following information:

• You can get a Livescan scan printed out onto the FD-258 fingerprint card (the standard one). You can then submit that for the FBI Background Check.
    • Livescan is recommended over ink because you can easily take the fingerprints over if they’re smudged. You can also tell if someone’s fingerprints are naturally poor and unable to be read at that moment, rather than having to wait the 4-6 weeks for the FBI to tell you so.
    • If you send your fingerprints to the FBI and they can’t be read, they will send the “Your fingerprints can’t be read, please do it again” form that probably all of us are familiar with. You can apply for the background check a max of three times. If you fail all three background checks, the FBI will then do a background check using your name and SSN and send us that. The reason why this system is in place is because of the American Disabilities Act, which says that not having readable fingerprints as a disability, and since you can’t discriminate against someone because of a disability, an alternative method must be available.
    • In California when you apply for a state background check you have to do them through Livescan and they are sent digitally sent to the California DOJ. (Some states still allow you to submit an ink print.) Because each state has a different electronic card that they use for fingerprinting, you must get your state background fingerprinting done in that state. You are unable to get your fingerprints done in Texas for an Ohio background check, for example.
    • An ORI (Originating Agency Identification) number is necessary when submitting a fingerprint digitally (with the exception of state background checks, I believe). You do not need an ORI number to have your fingerprints printed out on the FD-258 form. Our JET participants can try to tell the fingerprinting place that. However, some fingerprinting places will only do digital submissions and so they don’t carry those FD-258 forms. In that case the JET participant has to go to a different agency.
    • The owner recommends not going to a place like UPS to get your ink fingerprints done. Even though the establishment may be licensed to give fingerprints, it could only be the manager that has the license and training, not the actual people that do the fingerprinting, which means there’s a higher chance for error. It’s best to do Livescan when you can (and it should be the same price, if not cheaper). (Of course, the owner is assuredly bias )

Good luck!

Wow the US background check sounds crazy complicated, I'm glad the Australian one is much easier, just online submission and no finger prints required - I got my certificate in just a few days.
    Last edited by Shelia; April 4th, 2014 at 05:14.

The UK one seams so easy as well, just have to get the ICPC one and the chest x-ray, as they want everything else (uni confirmation etc) sent in with the main application

The only thing in the small mountain of paperwork they've sent me I've had problems with is the fingerprinting. Apparently I live in an area where getting fingerprinting is a long and tedious process. I had to get my own cards. And oddly enough I have to show two forms of government issued ID just to get into the fingerprinting place. Which begs the question, why do I have to prove who I am in order to get a background check to prove who I am?

Ugh... Thank goodness I'm almost done.
    Washington DC, Short-listed ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ <3

Quote Originally Posted by HorseFeathers View Post
    The only thing in the small mountain of paperwork they've sent me I've had problems with is the fingerprinting. Apparently I live in an area where getting fingerprinting is a long and tedious process. I had to get my own cards. And oddly enough I have to show two forms of government issued ID just to get into the fingerprinting place. Which begs the question, why do I have to prove who I am in order to get a background check to prove who I am?

Ugh... Thank goodness I'm almost done.
    welcome to U.S. bureaucracy

Word. The chest x-ray is now my utmost priority considering Easter break is right around the corner and Pathology places can be awfully slow.
    2014 Short-listed, Sydney (≧∇≦)/ Yamaguchi-ken

Help in the DC area! I've been looking for places to get my fingerprinting done by a technician, but no one in the area does it for Federal only. They do a combination for State and Federal, but the state of Maryland requires an authorization number before they are allowed to proceed and JET doesn't provide one. I thought I might be able to go into DC and have it done at the FBI office, but they don't seem to offer it either...

If I have to do it myself, do I need special paper or will normal printer paper work? I'm worried I'm interpreting "standard paper stock" incorrectly...

Quote Originally Posted by Curious-Cat View Post
    Help in the DC area! I've been looking for places to get my fingerprinting done by a technician, but no one in the area does it for Federal only. They do a combination for State and Federal, but the state of Maryland requires an authorization number before they are allowed to proceed and JET doesn't provide one. I thought I might be able to go into DC and have it done at the FBI office, but they don't seem to offer it either...

If I have to do it myself, do I need special paper or will normal printer paper work? I'm worried I'm interpreting "standard paper stock" incorrectly...
    I actually had to call the embassy to try and figure out how to do this. You definitely need to print it out on "card stock". Meaning you can go to a local Kinko's/Fed-ex and buy some if they won't provide you with the forms at the place you chose to use.

I actually got turned away because I printed the form out on regular paper. So make sure it is on card stock. Do not bend or get the paper wet in any way- or they may refuse to let you in. I have to go through this whole thing first thing tomorrow morning, carrying my forms in a special folder so it doesn't get bent or rained on.

So yeah. Don't make my mistake and save yourself some grief.
    Last edited by HorseFeathers; April 8th, 2014 at 07:43.
    Washington DC, Short-listed ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ <3

Quote Originally Posted by HorseFeathers View Post
    I actually had to call the embassy to try and figure out how to do this. You definitely need to print it out on "card stock". Meaning you can go to a local Kinko's/Fed-ex and buy some if they won't provide you with the forms at the place you chose to use.

I actually got turned away because I printed the form out on regular paper. So make sure it is on card stock. Do not bend or get the paper wet in any way- or they may refuse to let you in. I have to go through this whole thing first thing tomorrow morning, carrying my forms in a special folder so it doesn't get bent or rained on.

So yeah. Don't make my mistake and save yourself some grief.
    I guess it depends on where you're getting your fingerprints from. I was able to do my fingerprints on regular printer paper at my local police station. I was told to call the person requesting the prints to make sure it was acceptable. I called the IRS and they told me regular printer paper was fine.

The funny part is they made you bring your own form at this police department, but then in order to print it they had to fold my fingerprint card and tape it to a real card to get it to go through the printer.... They couldn't just use that card? I mean $20 for prints should cover a sheet of paper as well...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    ⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa