Thread: A question before I fully commit to applying to JET

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default A question before I fully commit to applying to JET

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forums. Im currently still in school, with 2 semesters left after the current one. I am planning on applying for the JET program. A question I currently have on my mind is that back in December I admitted guilty to a 5th degree petty theft. The court said that the charges will be wiped from my records by June 2014. I was wondering if this charge, even though it will be wiped from my record will disqualify me from the JET Program.

Thank you for your time!

Default Re: A question before I fully commit to applying to JET

What I was told is that with a petty 5th degree theft, during the application process I should disclose it during the application process. So should I not really worry about it since its such a small offense ?

You'll definitely need to have a strong application to make up for it, and be prepared to answer a lot of questions about it. It's not impossible, but you'll have to explain it

You can request the FBI background check at anytime; you certainly don't need to wait until you apply for JET to get one. I requested one along with the one I sent to JET, just to be safe (and because I was curious what, exactly, a clear record would look like). It was silly; basically just a stamp on the back of the form that said "No Record" or something.

I'd recommend you do this once your record is supposedly "cleared." Just go down, get the fingerprinting done, send it off, and see what you get back. If your record is clear, then you've got nothing to worry about; you can safely leave that information off of your application. This is technically contrary to the instructions given by CLAIR. It's still my advice, if your record is clear.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Hello BoostedFA5,
    Maybe I can answer your question from the perspective of a current Alternate with a prior criminal record. A few years ago, I got into some trouble involving alcohol and drugs. Though the drug charge was dropped, the alcohol charge stuck with me 'till I completed a program intended to clear young offendors of their criminal records. Don't count yourself out yet! I thought with these things following me I'd never even make it to the interview section, but yet here I am, a first time applicant with an alternate status. You can be honest with the JET program, they will give you the chance to explain yourself. I signed a contract to not reveal too much about my interview, but I will say that you should expect it to come up in your interview. Give it a positive spin. Tell them what you learned from it, and how it affects your decision making process. The most important thing from this is - DO NOT COUNT YOURSELF OUT. The board that considers JET applicants is not robotic; they realize that people make mistakes. Maybe it'll be a bit more difficult, because of how strict Japan can be, but don't let that keep you from applying. If you're a strong applicant, you have just as good a chance as anyone.
    Last edited by LaVie; April 5th, 2014 at 14:53.
    Alternate - Washington DC

LaVie

Thank you for your response, yeah I was told by the court that after my probation period, my charges will be gone from my background check, and if anything does show up it will pop up as a misdemeanor. Honestly your response gave me a really good boost. All I have to do now is keep strong and finish up school!

Quote Originally Posted by BoostedFA5 View Post
    LaVie

Thank you for your response, yeah I was told by the court that after my probation period, my charges will be gone from my background check, and if anything does show up it will pop up as a misdemeanor. Honestly your response gave me a really good boost. All I have to do now is keep strong and finish up school!
    It sounds like you still have time to possibly expunge it from your record completely. I mean, the first step is to see if it IS on your record. If so, strive for the expungement. Only inform them of your offense if it is absolutely the only option you have. Seriously, do you really want to have to explain something like that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    They're gonna burn you inside a giant wicker anpanman.

Thank you for all the replies. When June rolls around, I will order a FBI Record check. As I was checking the website, I need to send them a set of my fingerprints. How do I go about that? Should I just go to my local police station and request it?

Yep, there's another thread in which folks are discussing it! You can just print out the card (on cardstock), drop by, and have 'em print ya, then send it off yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Thanks!!!

Depending on what state you're in, you might not have to pre-print anything. I'm in RI and they provided me a print out on cardstock of my livescan fingerprints. I think it's the least they could do for $15 :P
    I came here to laugh at you.

Default A question before I fully commit to applying to JET

Quote Originally Posted by Wasabi View Post
    Depending on what state you're in, you might not have to pre-print anything. I'm in RI and they provided me a print out on cardstock of my livescan fingerprints. I think it's the least they could do for $15 :P
    Call a few places. In Mass, I paid $5, my buddy paid $20. The police provided the card stock for us.

I second not disclosing a criminal record that doesn't show up on the FBI records. But you have to be sure of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ihatefall; April 10th, 2014 at 01:48.
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

Yeah, if my charges do get wiped, I'll make sure not to put anything on the application about it. Just like SpMan2099 said, I really don't want to explain it to them about my stupid mistake.

The PD I went to used the regular sheet of printer paper I gave them. I told this story before, but basically I paid $20 for the prints, and then they folded up my piece of paper to tape it to a regular cardstock so they could print it, then took the tape off and gave it back to me... Rather than just using the cardstock. You'd think $20 would be enough to warrant them giving me the actual paper...
    ⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa

It really varies by state but in NJ, I went to a State PD and they did my fingerprints for free. They even gave me 2 copies. I did however brown nose a bit by telling them how much cooler they were in comparison to my local PD. State Pd and Local PD in NJ hate one another lol.