Thread: Ontario Criminal Record Check...

Default Ontario Criminal Record Check...

Okay,so in the notes section, that is provided with the other application information, it says that "[i]n many cases, a check for the vulnerable sector may not be used for employment abroad and you may only be able to secure a Police Reference Check". However, my police station seems to think that if I am teaching then I should be applying for a vulnerable sector check (which is supposed to be the criminal record check for those dealing with children). So, what am I supposed to do exactly? In this instance is the fact that a vulnerable sector check may not be accepted supposed to mean that I shouldn't bother (and should just pursue the less strenuous Police Information Check). The wording doesn't seem to indicate which of the three checks I am supposed to engage in, only that the third one may not be accepted. Hell, in the application they seem to only specifically request the Criminal Record Check, which is the least strenuous of all the tests. But then they go on to mention the Police Information Check in the notes section. Am I just overthinking this? Is there anyone who has some insight into this matter?

I am being silly, right? I should just get the Police Reference Check, right?
    Last edited by spman2099; April 5th, 2014 at 17:03.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    They're gonna burn you inside a giant wicker anpanman.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Default Re: Ontario Criminal Record Check...

No. The embassy will accept either record and they would prefer the vulnerable a person check. Give the embassy whatever the police station will give you.

We has this problem three years ago when I came over after the OPP changed the rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Are you sure Gizmotech? I'm thinking to go with the full Criminal Background Check in case, since that is what the form asks for. Does anyone know on average how long it will take? It says in the York Region Police site that they mail it to you within 10 business days, but the RCMP site mentioned up to 22 weeks for fingerprinting. I won't be back in Canada until early May, is there any danger of missing the due date? The overall wording of the instructions is quite confusing...

Okay, so what I know is that they won't do the vulnerable sector check for outside of Canada (and yes, that is what you typically should be getting for working with children). I got mine for early departure, and they only did the reference check or whatever. It took just over 3 weeks to get back to me, fyi. However, I have heard that if you tell them the check is going to the embassy/consulate, not actually to Japan, they will do it for you. So you could give that a try.
    Last edited by nostos; April 6th, 2014 at 10:19.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

AFAIK I am right. Please contact your embassy/consulate for more details if you are unsure.

There is no reason to go balls out and get unnecessary paper work done just because you are petrified of the process.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

I asked, and the official word from the Toronto consulate coordinator is that they prefer the vulnerable sector check, but if you can't get one they will accept the less detailed check from your local police branch. Typically they won't give a vulnerable sector check for overseas work, but you can try asking. My branch wouldn't give me one, so I went with the regular check.

Quote Originally Posted by landgoat View Post
    I asked, and the official word from the Toronto consulate coordinator is that they prefer the vulnerable sector check, but if you can't get one they will accept the less detailed check from your local police branch. Typically they won't give a vulnerable sector check for overseas work, but you can try asking. My branch wouldn't give me one, so I went with the regular check.
    My police department had no problem giving me the vulnerable sector check. Maybe they made a mistake?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    They're gonna burn you inside a giant wicker anpanman.

Maybe it just depends on the location and who is taking your forms? In any case, it's a long trip for me to get to the station and I don't want to get turned away for the vulnerable sector check if the one I already got is also acceptable.

I actually had a similar question and checked with the coordinator from Toronto, who basically said what landgoat said. They would like a vulnerable check, however for many areas it is not possible to get a vulnerable in the requisite amount of time. For example, the downtown Toronto station has a massive backlog of vulnerables and it would take 3-4 months to get one. So if it is not possible for you to get a vulnerable, you are allowed to turn in what they call Criminal Record Clearance Letter, or Criminal Background check, which takes less time to process. Might be a good idea to double check with the coordinator, but that's just what I was told from the consulate. Hope it helps!

Quote Originally Posted by landgoat View Post
    Yeah, when I went to the local branch and asked for a reference check, they asked what it was for, and I said that it's for working with children and teaching in Japan. They gave me regular one, which takes about 7 to 10 business days to arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarilo View Post
    Yeah, when I went to the local branch and asked for a reference check, they asked what it was for, and I said that it's for working with children and teaching in Japan. They gave me regular one, which takes about 7 to 10 business days to arrive.
    In Tornoto I think you can't get a vulnerable sector check AT ALL unless you have a form from your employer that has already made an arrangement with the Toronto police (which I do no believe the Consulate of Japan has), so I think the only option is to do the clearance check.