Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Gifts/Omiyage When Arriving

Default Re: Gifts/Omiyage When Arriving

I wouldn't say that it's a lie, every year when new staff come most of them bring snacks and omiyage with them as a "yoroshiku" in April. It's not expected or necessary as has been perpetuated by many a JET but I'd also say that the people who vehemently call it unnecessary are also wrong. Just don't call it omiyage because that will confuse them (since it's not the right word to use in that situation). It is a nice gesture, imo, but don't force it if you don't have space (it probably seems more out of place because we come in the middle of summer vacation, too). If you decide to bring something just stick to food, bringing things (stickers, mugs, pens, what have you) will probably warrant odd reactions because they give snacks, not stuff (stuff is given to friends and such, of course, but you're just coming and it may come off weird).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

Open the doors, Hoff. BambooTelegraph's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wasabi View Post
    Hi all,

What did everyone bring (if anything) as a present for your JTE's/principals/vice principals/etc? I was thinking along the lines of boxes of Girl Scout cookies or votives from Yankee Candle (their factory is about 40 minutes away from my home town). I don't know if those would be weird or not, though. I also remember seeing that people were getting away from bringing omiyage? Any input?
    When I came my first year, I brought peanut butter and maple nut butter. The next year, I brought back peanut butter cups. When I returned from the US after my wedding, I brought blackberry tea (we ended up individually wrapping each packet... that was a chore).

If you're going to bring something, make sure it's individually wrapped.

Haha I am loving the responses from the more seasoned JETs here. Super realistic responses. I'm from Arizona and was going to bring some tiny Prickly Pear Cactus Jams just to chuckle at people's responses to the taste.

The prickly pear gummies will travel better and be better received.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Oh that's a good idea. I forgot about those. Well there we go. Done deal.

At the Q & A session I was at, Mardi Gras beads were suggested as a good omiyage.

As I just finished school in New Orleans, I'll probably be going that route.

Quote Originally Posted by Cbill1 View Post
    At the Q & A session I was at, Mardi Gras beads were suggested as a good omiyage.

As I just finished school in New Orleans, I'll probably be going that route.
    a) Where would the recipient put cheap plastic beads?

b) If they were to ask what the beads were for, would you expose yourself to demonstrate how they are acquired?
    Last edited by uthinkimlost?; June 23rd, 2014 at 09:11.
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

U da real mvp.

I'd say they're a part of a traditional American festival, of course! :P

That sounds like terrible omiyage. Guaranteed for a landfill and to cause confusion.
    Just skip the omiyage. Such a waste of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Cbill1 View Post
    I'd say they're a part of a traditional American festival, of course! :P
    -and let your 60 year old JTE drive around with 'I showed my tits to strangers' beads draped over her rearview?

Like Jiggit said, bring food, or if you must bring something inedible, make it something semi-useful like a keychain.

Bring some old-school candy from the south. The kind of stuff you only find at mom and pop shops.
    Last edited by uthinkimlost?; June 23rd, 2014 at 10:54.

U da real mvp.

While rummaging around a BOE a few years back I found a cupboard that was stuffed with obscure "welcome gifts" from years of ALTs. Bring food or something useful or it will meet the same fate as that pile of crap
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

That's actually a really good idea. Like proper toffee or something. Hell, a bag of marshmallows would go down great as the stuff here is terrible compared to the ones you can get back home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    While rummaging around a BOE a few years back I found a cupboard that was stuffed with obscure "welcome gifts" from years of ALTs. Bring food or something useful or it will meet the same fate as that pile of crap
    I gave my Principal a magnet and a US flag/star pattern bandanna (random shit, I know) - the magnet joined a couple others on the blackboard and the bandanna is now a tablecloth on the coffee table in his office. I'm sure there's crap from other ALTs around too. Food is a good idea, but don't bring anything that can't stand the heat of Tokyo/cold of an airplane's hold.

I brought them all kebabs from my local chippy. I ate most of them on the way over though, I wish I'd saved some for my third year....

Quote Originally Posted by Wasabi View Post
    Hi all,

What did everyone bring (if anything) as a present for your JTE's/principals/vice principals/etc? I was thinking along the lines of boxes of Girl Scout cookies or votives from Yankee Candle (their factory is about 40 minutes away from my home town). I don't know if those would be weird or not, though. I also remember seeing that people were getting away from bringing omiyage? Any input?
    You're from New England right? Salt water taffy might be good for the staff. Maple candy from Vermont, the Yankee candles would be good (I would imagine things like the vanilla cookie etc would be good). Get a pamphlet for each one if you can. If you go to Quincy market (shutters) you mind find some stuff.
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

One quick word about chewy/sticky food - a lot of Japanese people of that age have dental work and might not be able to eat it. Or at least use it asan excuse To not eat it!!

:P

Quote Originally Posted by Randomgirl View Post
    One quick word about chewy/sticky food - a lot of Japanese people of that age have dental work and might not be able to eat it. Or at least use it as an excuse to not eat it!!
    Given the number of old people that kill themselves with sticky food every New Year, the excuse thing is more likely.
    ...because Japan.