Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Gifts/Omiyage When Arriving

Default Re: Gifts/Omiyage When Arriving

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    Given the number of old people that kill themselves with sticky food every New Year, the excuse thing is more likely.
    Definitely bring sticky foods!

Seriously that is mochi, which is very different from taffy
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

Yeah, I brought taffy when I came and it didn't go over well (that's the boxes that didn't melt on the way over). I was left with a lot of taffy (which would be awesome if I didn't hate it). Randomgirl is right about chewy and sticky foods (I got the same thing), all fillings I've had have been followed up with a line about no sticky food.

As for candles, most Japanese people don't wear strong perfume/cologne and there's not a big market for potpourri or smelly things like that so even if it's a nice gesture you'll probably just end up giving people a headache or making them feel sick unintentionally (odds are higher if they're old).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

Quote Originally Posted by Page View Post
    Yeah, I brought taffy when I came and it didn't go over well (that's the boxes that didn't melt on the way over). I was left with a lot of taffy (which would be awesome if I didn't hate it). Randomgirl is right about chewy and sticky foods (I got the same thing), all fillings I've had have been followed up with a line about no sticky food.

As for candles, most Japanese people don't wear strong perfume/cologne and there's not a big market for potpourri or smelly things like that so even if it's a nice gesture you'll probably just end up giving people a headache or making them feel sick unintentionally (odds are higher if they're old).
    That is why I said the cookie one or any of the food candles. They just smell like baking.

Come again?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Ugh, I hate candles and incense and sh*t like that.

If you want to bring a candle, be sure to bring something that Japanese people will be comfortable with, such as "Burning Garbage," "Stale Urine," or "Pickled Tennis Shoe."
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post

If you want to bring a candle, be sure to bring something that Japanese people will be comfortable with, such as "Burning Garbage," "Stale Urine," or "Pickled Tennis Shoe."
    "Subway Salaryman Beer Breath" "Whiff of Sewage from a Grate"
    Quote Originally Posted by Libellule View Post
    I really hope Japan doesn't turn me into this.

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post

"Public restroom cleaned with nothing but a 3 year old mop and dirty water for 20 years"

"Ollld peeeeople"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still have no clue what to bring. I'm from Kentucky, near the whole "Bourbon Trail" thing originally so everyone keeps encouraging me to bring booze. I keep reminding them there's a limit to how much booze you can bring. I mean the only thing we're known for is bourbon, horses, tobacco, and fried chicken, none of which is a very packable item.

Bourbon balls might survive, or mint julep flavoured candies are likely to make it. (Yes, they make them.)

Mini, factory-made derby pies with a long shelf life would also do. (Just box them carefully.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by Villebillie View Post
    I still have no clue what to bring. I'm from Kentucky, near the whole "Bourbon Trail" thing originally so everyone keeps encouraging me to bring booze. I keep reminding them there's a limit to how much booze you can bring. I mean the only thing we're known for is bourbon, horses, tobacco, and fried chicken, none of which is a very packable item.
    For omiyage, booze is not a great idea. You don't need to bring something that is specific to Kentucky. You can also bring something specific to your general region or even just America.

More than anything, as others have said before, you want something that can be easily shared in the workplace.

When I came here I brought maple cookies. They weren't individually wrapped, but we found a plate to put them on and told the staff to dig at their leisure. It seemed to go over well. It should be that simple.

When I first joined ITIL, someone even said that if you're really agonizing over this decision, just wait until you arrive in Japan and buy something after your first trip out of the city. I wasn't sure about that, but honestly, my omiyage from Fukuoka went over just as well as my Omiyage from Canada.
    Last edited by johnny; June 26th, 2014 at 14:17.

If the recipient is teetotal or a recovering alky then gifting booze could get awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    There is no man who is ever dissatisfied with free alcohol.
    I got a bottle of apple 'champagne' from the school principal at our Christmas dinner during a gift exchange - he was kinda hurt that I didn't open it (it came in a heavy department store bag sealed with duct tape, inside of a bubble wrap insulation wrap sealed with duct tape, and then in one of those Japanese reusable 'gift bags.')

Certainly made me happy. And pleasantly drunk too afterwards.

I am ordering boxes of maple cookies online and having them shipped to my residence there so they'll be waiting for me. Everyone will get a cookie on a canadian design (read: dollar store leftover from canada day) paper napkin. I figure that, judging from the omiyage stores in every major train station with omiyage from all over the country, I'm not meant to stress over it

You can just pick up some cookies or candies from the train stations or airport when you leave Tokyo for your placement.

Quote Originally Posted by soh View Post
    You can just pick up some cookies or candies from the train stations or airport when you leave Tokyo for your placement.
    The sad thing is your coworkers may well be more impressed by exotic Tokyo generic cookies than by anything actually from gaikoku. Gaikoku food is too sweet after all.

You can bring them the famous Tokyo Banana.
    ...because Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Villebillie View Post
    There was an ALT from Kentucky I knew who brought some chocolate horse-arses; they proved quite popular. No idea where he got 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

You can buy maple cookies and maple syrup in Japan. I've found both at my local grocery. The problem with maple cookies is they aren't individually wrapped and will go stale FAST in summer if left out. Seriously, an hour later they'll soak up the humidity. You can try individually wrapping them in Daiso gift bags to keep them fresh and easy to put out if you like. I think that would be acceptable. Usually I put them out for Canada Day.

I gave small bottles of alcohol when I came. It was kind of dumb of me to gift it at school, but it was wrapped up and was luckily well-received. Ice wine or Canadian beer is my recommendation for alcohol as you can rarely find either here. Note that many Japanese people don't drink at all (allergy, can't handle it, don't like it, genetic issues, etc.). Otherwise, I make sweets for my schools. If you want to make Canadian sweets eventually, there are some tough ingredients to find. I haven't been able to find corn syrup or brown sugar easily. The stuff that looks brown is raw sugar. If you want to make Nanaimo Bars, bring Byrd's custard powder as the stuff they have here makes them taste totally different. Coconut and sprinkles are sold in small quantities, so buying bulk is a good idea and much cheaper. If you make muffins, bring a muffin pan or two. I've never seen them here. I can't recall if it is baking powder or soda that I have trouble finding. Ground ginger for gingerbread is also tougher to find sometimes. You could also make peanut butter cookies if you bring a big tub of it. Those usually aren't too sweet and taste like some peanut omiyage they have here.

Avoid bringing food that melts at all costs, because it will.