Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Gifts/Omiyage When Arriving

Default Re: Gifts/Omiyage When Arriving

buy a tin of celebrations from the airport duty free. thats been my go to omiyage for the last few years.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    The sad thing is your coworkers may well be more impressed by exotic Tokyo generic cookies than by anything actually from gaikoku. Gaikoku food is too sweet after all.
    いいいいいいいいいなあああああああああ

Found out there's now an Osaka banana, too. Guess you have to get Skytree cookies for that unique Tokyo-ness.

Osaka Banana is vastly inferior.
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

take it to the gay thread
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Namisuke View Post
    I can't recall if it is baking powder or soda that I have trouble finding.
    It's probably baking soda ... I found sodium bicarbonate next to kitchen cleaners at Daiso.

Never had a problem finding baking soda or baking powder - both are available at my little inaka grocery - check by the starches and then the cake/baking aisle - if you're lucky it'll be in both places. Finding real bread flour is can be a pain - it seems to come and go.

I think I'm going to bring Twizzlers, as BJ's has individually wrapped cases of 100 for pretty cheap. My research shows that Twizzlers maybe be hard to find in Japan, but for those of you living there is this true? I'd hate to roll up with them and have it be readily available. My other option is ground coffee from Dunkin Donuts.
    I came here to laugh at you.

Default Gifts/Omiyage When Arriving

I didn't see them, but you might get people who don't try them because they're chewy. Bad teeth and all that jazz.

Edit: ground coffee from Dunkin is less superior than Japanese ground coffee, and that's saying a ton.
    Last edited by Ananasboat; July 20th, 2014 at 21:30. Reason: im a coffee snob.

Twizllers tend to sweat in hot weather. IF new JETs want to bring anything at all, DRY goods are best - cookies, crackers, etc. that are individually packaged. Otherwise, get stuff here! It's all the same concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    I didn't see them, but you might get people who don't try them because they're chewy. Bad teeth and all that jazz.

Edit: ground coffee from Dunkin is less superior than Japanese ground coffee, and that's saying a ton.
    Whoa, shots fired! I'm a New Englander and Dunkin is like a cult up here.

I think my gifts are still in my suitcase somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasabi View Post
    Whoa, shots fired! I'm a New Englander and Dunkin is like a cult up here.
    I am also a new englander, and Dunkin coffee is watery and flavorless. Their pre-ground stuff you buy in the store is even more so. I just have taste.

Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    Never had a problem finding baking soda or baking powder - both are available at my little inaka grocery - check by the starches and then the cake/baking aisle - if you're lucky it'll be in both places. Finding real bread flour is can be a pain - it seems to come and go.
    Bread flour is just strong flour (強力粉), no? I've seen it everywhere.
    Non-white bread flour, though, you'd probably have to go to Rakuten/one of dozens of online baking stores for that.
    fucking genki

Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    I just have taste.
    Yikes, sounds like someone is a bit cranky and hasn't had their morning cup of joe yet.

Thanks for the response, Namisuke! It's incredibly hard to find individually wrapped things that will endure the heat & travel process. I'll look a bit more for something else before I go. In the end, there's no pleasing everyone so I'll hope for the best!

Quote Originally Posted by Wasabi View Post
    Yikes, sounds like someone is a bit cranky and hasn't had their morning cup of joe yet.

Thanks for the response, Namisuke! It's incredibly hard to find individually wrapped things that will endure the heat & travel process. I'll look a bit more for something else before I go. In the end, there's no pleasing everyone so I'll hope for the best!
    Not cranky, but it's just not good compared to local roast or small roast vendors.

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

I'm an old Englander, and I have no idea what any of you are talking about.
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

Just further proof that New England is the Osaka of America.

If Tokyo is New York, Osaka is totally Boston. But those are the only four cities I've really been to, so I actually have no idea what I'm talking about.

Boston is the Osaka of New England.